Properties near Augusta National Golf Club purchased for Masters Tournament parking

Sunday, Oct. 2, 2011 3:07 PM
Last updated 7:03 PM

The transformation of Berck­mans Road neighborhoods into Masters Tournament parking continues, with the addition of 1.43 acres that recently sold for $1.6 million.

Attorney Patrick Rice, representing the Augusta National Golf Club and Berckman Residential Properties, has requested that the city rezone lots at 353 Heath Drive and 357 Berckmans Road to allow for tournament parking.

Rice and an Augusta National spokesman could not be reached for comment. But according to property records, the two tracts sold in July, when Berckman Residential Properties purchased a 1-acre tract at 353 Heath Drive for $1 million from William Garner and a 0.43-acre parcel at 357 Berckmans Road for $600,000 from Kathryn Murphy.

It is not the first purchase Berckman Residential Properties has made from Garner. The broker paid $2.85 million for an adjoining 2.85-acre lot last year.

The acquisitions reflect a dramatic increase in purchase price since heavy buying began in the 1990s.

In 1999, the average price being paid for an acre was $222,000. By 2003, brokers were paying an average of $450,000 an acre. Today, the average price is above $1 million an acre.

And the latest two purchases are not the last. On Sept. 20, Berckman Residential Properties paid owner Marlene Spears $1 million for 1.265 acres at 409 and 415 Berckmans Road. Near the southern Berckmans boundary of the National, the tracts are the first south of Heath Drive’s southern leg known to be purchased for Masters purposes.

Berckman Residential Prop­erties now owns nearly all the land encircled by Heath Drive and Berckmans Road, most of which already is parking space.

The area, which is separated from the Augusta National by Berckmans Road and becomes heavily congested during the tournament, also continues to be considered for a major transportation overhaul, with the realignment of Berckmans Road with Alexander Drive on the list of projects to go before voters on a 2012 regional transportation sales tax referendum.

fatboyhog
2000
fatboyhog 10/02/11 - 08:48 pm
I wish that I had the

I wish that I had the foresight to buy property there in the 80's.

Easy77
Easy77 10/02/11 - 10:32 pm
Wish they would continue to

Wish they would continue to expand and buy up Vineland

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/03/11 - 06:49 am
It's kind of a bizarre

It's kind of a bizarre situation with those little houses in Richmond County going for so much. The people live in million dollar houses even if it is a poorer section right next to them.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 10/03/11 - 07:21 am
Nothing weird about it...the

Nothing weird about it...the property owners were just fortunate enough to be holding titles to certain tracts when they became "gold" based on who wanted them and how much money they have to spend. Supply and demand. The only thing that surprises me is that it took so long for the growth and movement to occur.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/03/11 - 07:46 am
Tell me again how the Augusta

Tell me again how the Augusta National is ripping off the property owners.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 10/03/11 - 07:52 am
The Augusta National and the

The Augusta National and the Masters Golf Tournament is the single most important PRIVATE business enterprise to ever call the CSRA home. There are other industries that are bigger, but none draw the attention or have the peripheral benefits that ANGC and the yearly event do. Nothing close, actually...

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 10/03/11 - 07:56 am
Location..Location...Location

Location..Location...Location!...

I too wish I had had the forsight to pick up a house or two
over there......

david jennings
david jennings 10/03/11 - 08:17 am
Yeah,I wish my Dad had bought

Yeah,I wish my Dad had bought tickets back in the fifties.

dougk
dougk 10/03/11 - 08:27 am
I wonder how long it will

I wonder how long it will take them to get to my area in North Augusta??

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/03/11 - 08:41 am
Fence the area in and make a

Fence the area in and make a huge playground out of it for the remaining 51 weeks of the year. Just open area for the kids to run, no equipment, no law suits.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/03/11 - 08:49 am
I tghink this is a great

I tghink this is a great sign, it shows the National is looking at making the tournament better for fans.

They are the single best thing that Augusta has going for it that is not giverment funded.

Austin Rhodes is 100% correct on that one, best private revenue generating source in the city. Period.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/03/11 - 08:54 am
Reading TrulyWorried's post

Reading TrulyWorried's post up above makes me shake my head again at how many people want to tell others what to do with their property. The Regency Mall property generates the most finger wagging.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/03/11 - 09:05 am
Right LL.....The Regency Mall

Right LL.....The Regency Mall does bring up strong emotions...(for me too)....sorta like Scarlett about Tara---one day-one day..you will be saying I wish I had bought land around the Regency Mall-----just wait & see....
Gerald O'Hara: Do you mean to tell me, Katie Scarlett O'Hara, that Tara, that land doesn't mean anything to you? Why, land is the only thing in the world worth workin' for, worth fightin' for, worth dyin' for, because it's the only thing that lasts.

PghSteelersFan
PghSteelersFan 10/03/11 - 09:10 am
If your Dad had bought season

If your Dad had bought season tickets back in the fifties, say 1955, and he was 40 years old at the time and your Mother was also 40, they would both be 96 this year. If Dad had passed away in say 1995, and Mom was still living, the ticket purchasing rights would have passed to her as spouse. Then Mom passes away this year at 96, next year (2012) when you applied for the season tickets, you would be turned down for season tickets but you could go into the 'practice rounds' lottery as a first timer.
The National changed the rules where children of the season ticket holder could automatically get season tickets rights to allow for those on the 'season ticket waiting list to have a better chance of getting them. Now when the season ticket holder passes away, the spouse of the ticket holder may request a 'change' on the National's mailing lists to their name. Once the spouse passes away, the season tickets automatically go into the season ticket waiting list pool and they are given to the next person in line. You as the child are left watching USA and CBS TV networks.
Our Family had that happen. We had season tickets since the 1960's. They had been in Mom's name. Mom passed in 2000 and Dad, as spouse, took over as the 'registered applicant'. When he passed, the tickets went into the 'pool' and if we wished we could go into the 'lottery' for practice rounds. My Sister decided to go into the lottery while my Brother and I decided against it. He because he wasn't interested and myself because now living in New Mexico and winning a ticket for one day doesn't make good economic sense.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/03/11 - 09:42 am
I still think it is a shame

I still think it is a shame to let all that land lay idle for 51 weeks out of the year. The National has the money to buy the land - unbelievable what they are willing to pay - why not help the populace of the area by letting children have a free roam in fresh air?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/03/11 - 10:20 am
Hey, I've long said we are

Hey, I've long said we are soooooo lucky to have the Masters here. It's like having the Super Bowl in our little town every single year. It's known the world over as is Augusta because of it.

TrulyWorried, it's private land, not a public park. I've got 130 acres in Aiken doing nothing but growing trees and letting horses run around on it. I'm not about to let everyone have access. The key is it's my land. The ANC paid for the land and pays the taxes. With all they give the area, you should be volunteering to pick up trash in the parking area for them.

OIC
OIC 10/03/11 - 04:38 pm
My question is to all of you

My question is to all of you ANGC supporters. Is the AGNC still paying the property taxes that all the former residents paid. A whole lot of lost tax revenue for one week out of the year. I thought the expansion was done beautifully but was not needed. The original parking situation proved to be effective and allowed adjacent businesses and home owners additional revenue while still adding to the tax coffers.

Easy77
Easy77 10/03/11 - 05:31 pm
They gave the home owners a

They gave the home owners a lot more revenue by buying their property compared to the amount they would make by parking cars for 10-20 bucks a spot one week out of the year. Keep on growing Augusta national, the bigger the better!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/03/11 - 06:06 pm
Riverman - I am 80 years old,

Riverman - I am 80 years old, raised 6 children and taught THEM how to pick up - would be a good venue for the children to be taught what's right and what's wrong - by their parents (hopefully). Enjoy your acreage - you've bought it and own it - Augusta National could do something for the people of this area during the year. Just a thought.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/03/11 - 06:22 pm
Amazing truly-----You don't

Amazing truly-----You don't look a day over 62..:)