Peach Belt Conference reprimands Augusta State coach Dip Metress

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:47 AM
Last updated 5:05 PM

Augusta State men’s basketball coach Dip Metress was issued an official reprimand from the Peach Belt Conference on Tuesday due to Metress’ actions in the conference tournament.

Back | Next
Augusta State men's basketball coach Dip Metress was issued an official reprimand from the Peach Belt Conference on Tuesday due to Metress' actions in the conference tournament.  MICHAEL HOLAHAN/FILE
MICHAEL HOLAHAN/FILE

“We have a strict code of conduct in our league that is applicable to everyone: student-athletes, administrators and coaches, and coach Metress’ actions were in violation of its provisions.” Peach Belt commissioner David Brunk said in a statement released by the conference. “We have set a standard in NCAA Division II and are proud to be looked upon as a league where everyone is accountable to that code.”

The statement said the reprimand, which was not accompanied by a suspension, stemmed from Metress’ “unsportsmanlike conduct” surrounding Augusta State’s semifinals loss to Montevallo in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament in Columbus, Ga., on March 3. Metress did not return a phone call seeking comment, but he and athletic director Clint Bryant released statements Tuesday afternoon.

“I regret my behavior during the game and my conduct during the postgame activities and insinuations that could have been made as a result,” Metress said. “I acknowledge the public reprimand from the Peach Belt Conference regarding my comments and actions following our loss to Montevallo. I apologize to Commissioner Brunk, the Peach Belt Conference and staff, my Athletic Director Clint Bryant and our University President Dr. Bloodworth.”

Bryant’s statement said he fully concurred with the reprimand.

Metress received a similar reprimand from the NCAA last year after the Jaguars’ loss in the Division II Elite Eight. He was fined $2,300 after the NCAA Division II Basketball Committee determined his “actions, behavior and audible comments during the championship were contrary to the Division II Code of Conduct and not consistent with the guidelines required of Division II coaches and student-athletes.”

follower 03/13/12 - 01:44 pm
Well.............what did he

Well.............what did he do?

ajones25
ajones25 03/13/12 - 02:51 pm
I was at the PBC tournament

I was at the PBC tournament at Columbus State - Dip basically spent the 2nd half of the game vs. Montevallo verbally lambasting (with plenty of expletives) a gentleman at the scorer's table who I assume had some oversight capacity over the game officials. I heard him use the word unethical several times in reference to the officials.

Then he was totally uncooperative in the mandatory post game video press conference and basically refused to participate or answer questions.

It is pretty clear that he will continue to behave in this manner when it suits him as a previous substantial fine several years ago by the NCAA for behaviorial issues seems to have had little meaning.

A public reprimand with no further consequences? That will show him. Way to get tough Commish.

WTFH
WTFH 03/13/12 - 08:49 pm
We love our coach and

KSL
KSL 03/13/12 - 09:31 pm
Not enough info for the

Not enough info for the casual poster to post a comment. Until then, if the ac doesn't take this down, I hope they will not allow comments.

noway
noway 03/14/12 - 11:45 am
You were there ajones?

You were there ajones? Really? an eyewitness reporter? Bogus. You only have one side of the story, I'm sure. No way Dip should have gotten in trouble. Did you watch the game? If you watched the game, you would have seen the same horrible calls.

mcgriff27
mcgriff27 03/14/12 - 01:42 pm
You know what I see every

You know what I see every time I watch an Augusta State game? I see immature sideline antics that have persisted for years. It seems like other coaches handle hard-fought losses (even if there is questionable officiating calls) with a bit more class than Darren. They hold their head up and move on instead of throwing child like tantrums on the floor and in the post-game press conference. I agree that a public reprimand without suspension will do nothing to modify his behavior in the future.

hockeymann
hockeymann 03/14/12 - 06:24 pm
Well, I certainly support our

Well, I certainly support our Coach Dip. Commissioner Brunk needs to take
a serious look at his officials, and do something to improve them. As to
Clint Bryant not backing his coach, nothing surprising there is it? He's(Clint)
always taken the politically way out of handling anything. Dip deserves much better than this. Would not be surprised if he finds himself a better
coaching job at a higher level that he deserves. Then, I guess Clint would
give us another of his hand-picked coach gems he can control, like the
previous lady JAGS coach who lost virtually all her games.

mag5
mag5 03/19/12 - 08:06 am
"We love our coach and

"We love our coach and everything he has done for the school and community. He has our respect and he is a fighter. Those kids will do anything for him. If it was so bad, how come the refs didn't throw him out of the game?"

There will always be this group who loves the coach no matter what he does. Dip doesn't get a free pass to violate league rules just because he has been successful. This behavior doesn't set an example for the young men he coaches and those that call BS every time he gets a slap on the wrist are doing nothing more than enabling.

Accord tops list of stolen vehicles

The National Insurance Crime Bureau released its annual report on the 10 most stolen vehicles in the country earlier this month, and some residents say they aren't surprised with what they saw.