Augusta State takes issue with Armstrong Atlantic State's tactics

Armstrong Atlantic State men 73, Augusta State 62

With the seconds ticking down and a win in hand Wednesday night, Armstrong Atlantic State coach Jeremy Luther called a timeout.

Back | Next
Augusta State's D'Angelo Boyce tries to block the path of Armstrong Atlantic's Austin Edens on Wednesday.  MICHAEL HOLAHAN/STAFF
MICHAEL HOLAHAN/STAFF

The action didn’t sit well with Augusta State, and the late-game fireworks overshadowed the Jaguars’ poor offensive night.

Against the Pirates’ zone defense, Augusta State struggled again from the field and fell, 73-62, at Christenberry Fieldhouse.

Armstrong Atlantic State (6-7, 2-3) snapped the Jaguars’ 41-game regular season home winning streak. Augusta State (5-6, 1-2) also lost its first contest at home to a conference foe since Jan. 28, 2008.

The Jaguars shot a season-low 31 percent from the field, including a 4 for 25 effort from the perimeter. Harold Doby scored 20 points to lead Augusta State, while Devonte Thomas added 19 and Devon Wright-Nelson 14.

The Pirates, led by Chris Vanlandingham’s 18 points, shot 50 percent in the second half. Armstrong led 66-62 with 1:11 and scored the final seven points.

Up nine, Luther called a timeout with 10 seconds left. Despite his motive, the move didn’t go over well with the Jaguars.

“The only reason I called a timeout at the end was to let our guys know how big a win this is,” said Luther, who notched his first victory in six tries against Augusta State. “I told the guys it’s a great win, great victory. Let’s win with class from this point on.”

After the timeout, Augusta State remained on its side of the court. Luther told Keyshore Williams to go in and dunk. Then, Augusta State called a timeout. On the inbounds pass, the ball sailed high over Luther’s head. After the Pirates ran the final three seconds off the board, they exited the floor instead of shaking hands.

“The difficult thing is our new players, which is a lot of them, don’t understand how bad people want to beat us,” Jaguars coach Dip Metress said. “Maybe the end causes the new guys to see how important a win over Augusta State is. I hope that’s a good lesson for those guys.”

The Jaguars, who average a league-low 39 percent from the field, return to practice today trying to figure out how to create some offense. Against the Pirates, Augusta State passed up countless shots on the perimeter. Senior guards Tye Beal and O’Neal Armstrong were benched to start the second half. Armstrong shot 2 for 9 for six points, while Beal missed four shots and didn’t score.

“One of us has to step up and have the confidence to take over,” Wright-Nelson said. “Some people have it in them. But when we get on the court it seems like it’s hard for them.”

“Nobody wanted to shoot the ball,” Metress said. “We were passing up shots that were open. We were afraid to take the shot. I think we’re afraid of the result. And that’s been all year. We’ve got to somehow get through that.”

ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC STATE 73, AUGUSTA STATE 62

PLAY OF THE GAME: After knocking down a 3-pointer, Keyshore Williams added a putback to extend the Pirate lead to seven with 9:40 left.

STAR OF THE GAME: Chris Vanlandingham posted 18 points and six rebounds to lead Armstrong.

NEXT: North Georgia at Augusta State, 7:30 p.m., Saturday, at Christenberry Fieldhouse..

mag5
mag5 01/05/12 - 07:01 am
Getting worked up over a

Getting worked up over a timeout at the 10 second mark shouldn't happen. Luthers explanation sounds reasonable.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/05/12 - 08:25 am
mag5, Coach Luther was

mag5, Coach Luther was congratulating the team but he was also taunting the home crowd. Don't forget this is the joker who tried to fight George Johnson after his team let one slip away against us last season. He is a loser and I hope he enjoys his first win against Dip in six attempts. Also don't forget he and his entire team went straight to the lockerroom and did not shake our hand.

beep beep
beep beep 01/05/12 - 08:31 am
Luther said “I told the guys

Luther said “I told the guys it’s a great win, great victory. Let’s win with class from this point on.”
From this point on means that he realized what he done was classless and he embarrassed his University. Shows me that he is not used to winning!! I'll take Dip and what he has done for ASU everyday. In a rebuilding year with a lot of young guys we have still been competitive in every game. By the end of the year we will be a tough team to beat. We have the pieces and Dip knows how to put them together. Thanks Dip for making me proud to be an ASU Jaguar.

mag5
mag5 01/05/12 - 10:39 am
No explanation is needed for

No explanation is needed for me to know about Luther. I know he had a hand in getting a Jag kicked off the team not long ago and I also know how he handled one of his players who was a friend of mine that ended up quitting his team....How was Luther taunting the crowd? Simply by calling a time out? Not always the case. He may have meant just what he said. Could he have seen his players talking trash and wanted them to cool it? Maybe...I don't think we will know that unless you were in the huddle with them....And beep...he did have a winning record before, just not in the PBC. He may not work out at this level. Don't misunderstand me....I don't care for the way he treats his players. Just get the facts right. Also the Jags will not improve enough to overcome the other PBC teams who are also improving. There is no strong perimeter play on this version of the jags and moderate post play. I wish them well and better recruiting for next year. I have no doubt Dip will develop what he has. This is just going to have to be a building year.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/05/12 - 02:24 pm
mag5, I appreciate your

mag5, I appreciate your insight--especially with your connections to that part of the state. However, Jeremy Luther was playing to the crowd. He and his players were pointing and taunting. Even Aiken has never done some bush league garbage like this. And it bears repeating--this is the "head coach" who wanted to fight a college player.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/05/12 - 06:59 pm
If you ask me Luther is

If you ask me Luther is lying. You don't call a timeout with ten seconds left to tell your team how big of a win it is. That is one LAME excuse.
He must think people are stupid.

Semibored
Semibored 01/05/12 - 08:31 pm
Luther was a jerk when he was

Luther was a jerk when he was at Newberry, probably still a jerk now.