Two for the road

STILLWATER, Okla. --- They all went out in grand style Sunday, the players and the head coach.

Augusta State head coach Josh Gregory hugs his wife, Ashley Gregory, after his team took the national title Sunday. Gregory is leaving the Jags to take the same job at Southern Methodist University, his alma mater.   Associated Press
Associated Press

Josh Gregory, who became just the fourth coach since 1980 to win multiple national championships, is leaving to become the men's coach at his alma mater. Gregory has accepted the position at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. The 36-year-old Gregory was a four-year letterman at SMU, graduating in 1997.

"To selfishly move on to my alma mater to coach there, you get that opportunity once to have that chance," he said. "I thought about all my former players I've coached. I thought about these five guys and what they've done over the past two years. All I could think about is this is how we wanted to go out."

Gregory wouldn't disclose terms of the deal. But according to one source, his contract is believed to be worth $1 million for five years. According to the state of Georgia's open records Web site, open.georgia.gov, Gregory earned almost $60,000 with an additional $8,100 allocated for travel in the last reported fiscal year (2010).

With the departure of Gregory, there is no interim coach. Athletic director Clint Bryant plans to have a new coach in place by July 1. The five starting players and Gregory said the next coach already is at Augusta State.

Third-year women's coach Kevin McPherson, who helped out as a men's assistant during the national championship, is a popular choice for the permanent job. McPherson was a men's and women's assistant at his previous job, Central Florida.

"You have two of the top coaches right at Augusta State, one on men's and one on women's," Jaguar golfer Patrick Reed said. "With Josh leaving, we're all pulling hard for Kevin to get that job. We think he deserves it. Look, he has an NCAA Championship. None of those other guys do."

peggyandrick
peggyandrick 06/05/11 - 07:41 pm
I guess going to your alma

I guess going to your alma mater is a good reason to take a step down.

JM88
JM88 06/05/11 - 09:48 pm
Good luck, Coach. Thanks for

Good luck, Coach. Thanks for the memories.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/05/11 - 09:50 pm
Can't blame the guy. Our

Can't blame the guy. Our loss is SMU's gain. Thanks for what you've done for ASU and for Augusta. Good luck.

DawgnSC69
DawgnSC69 06/05/11 - 09:54 pm
DUDE! WHY?????

DUDE! WHY?????

DawgnSC69
DawgnSC69 06/05/11 - 09:55 pm
Going out in a blaze of

Going out in a blaze of glory?
Good Luck and Thanks!

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/05/11 - 10:46 pm
Couldn't even give the team a

Couldn't even give the team a day to celebrate before taking some of their spotlight for his announcement? Questionable judgement...

birdieman
birdieman 06/05/11 - 11:36 pm
What more could Josh have

What more could Josh have done at asu???? We all know that asu is a stepping stone job. Look at past 2 coaches. Smu is a major d1 college, in a big city, that is making a committment to golf. It's not like Josh took the job today...this has been in the works for a couple of weeks. This announcement was goin to happen tomorrow weather jags won or finished 8th

faithson
faithson 06/05/11 - 11:39 pm
congrads coach, well done,

congrads coach, well done, wish you all the success you deserve in your forthcoming en devour. Thanks for the memories.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/06/11 - 06:08 am
Heck, I think half the

Heck, I think half the coaches at the big NCAA schools started at ASU.

jamesnewsome
jamesnewsome 06/06/11 - 07:47 am
$60k versus $225k per year

$60k versus $225k per year and a return to his alma mater. You certainly can't fault the guy for this decision.

WoodyKaminer
WoodyKaminer 06/06/11 - 08:37 am
Peggy, uhhhm your facts are

Peggy, uhhhm your facts are backwards. Hes leaving a 60k for a million dollar job. Please reread.

saywhatagain
saywhatagain 06/06/11 - 09:15 am
C'mon guys. $1,000,000

C'mon guys. $1,000,000 contract for 5 years means $200K/year and could we really think they'd pay a golf coach a million a year? The average annual Division I football coaching salary is $1.36 million. When's the last time you saw 50,000 people line the fairways at ANY kind of golf tournament?

PEARLSNAP
PEARLSNAP 06/06/11 - 02:16 pm
I am a small time supporter

I am a small time supporter of SMU and I wish good luck to Mr Gregory, but he would have been better off staying at ASU. The previous coach at SMU had a winning season in each of his 20plus years and was still fired only because his team did not win the conference championship enough times. It is almost 80% guaranteed that if Mr Gregory does not win more championships than the old coach, he to will be fired.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/06/11 - 03:18 pm
My hat's off to you, Augusta

My hat's off to you, Augusta State and championship golfers. Best of the future, Mr. Gregory. I'm Gamecock but will pull for SMU and Augusta State in golf.