Former Jaguar Siler to sign with Suns

Eighteen months after finishing his collegiate career, Garret Siler is making the leap to the NBA.

Siler has agreed to a two-year deal with the Phoenix Suns. He is in Phoenix and said Monday he plans to sign this week.

A former All-American center at Augusta State, Siler played for the Shanghai Sharks of the Chinese Basketball Association last season. He played in the NBA Summer League this year for New Jersey and Miami. All the while, the Suns kept their eyes on Siler.

"Phoenix wanted me when they saw me in the Summer League," Siler said. "They don't have a lot of bigs, and I'm a big."

The 7-foot, 280-pound Siler will head to the Suns' training camp Sept. 28. Siler didn't reveal the details of his contract, but the NBA minimum guarantees a salary of almost $474,000 the first year and more than $762,000 his second season.

Phoenix went 54-28 last season and advanced to the Western Conference Finals. Siler said the team expects him to be the backup center behind Robin Lopez.

"They told me they could see me being a great player," Siler said. "They said I haven't been pushed the right way."

Siler was the last player cut from Atlanta's training camp last year. Atlanta and Miami were in the running for Siler, but the teams failed to close the deal. The Heat, after signing Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh, added four centers.

The Hawks invited Siler to training camp, but the team refused to give him a guaranteed contract.

"I didn't feel like dealing with that," Siler said.

Phoenix runs an up-tempo offense similar to the one Siler played in Shanghai. He said he's comfortable with the Suns' system.

"It's a good situation I'm coming into," he said. "I'm going to do everything I can and work hard."

In 38 games with the Shanghai Sharks, Siler shot 76 percent from the floor, averaging 14.1 points and 9.3 rebounds a game with 62 blocks.

In his Augusta State career, Siler led the Jaguars to three consecutive Division II Elite Eight appearances. In his senior season in 2008-09, he shot 79 percent from the floor. Siler holds the NCAA record for career field-goal percentage.

chasboy
chasboy 09/21/10 - 02:38 am
Good for you Garret. I hope

Good for you Garret. I hope you have a great carreer! Just make sure Nash gets the ball to you!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/21/10 - 03:30 am
"Nash to Siler," has a nice

"Nash to Siler," has a nice sound.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/21/10 - 04:26 am
Quality player, goal oriented

Quality player, goal oriented effort, earned a spot on the team. Way to do it Garret, living the American dream. You'll become a basketball legend.

bdouglas
bdouglas 09/21/10 - 07:08 am
A half mil guaranteed minimum

A half mil guaranteed minimum as a backup! Not too shabby!

jpeezy
jpeezy 09/21/10 - 12:38 pm
Ha what is this?? Suns sent

Ha what is this?? Suns sent him invitation to training camp, that is it. He will be competing for a roster spot with Dwayne Jones but most likely will not make the team. dont know where you got this information from but his contract isnt guaranteed past the preseason if he even makes the team at all

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 09/21/10 - 01:53 pm
jpeezy, I was thinking that

jpeezy, I was thinking that same thing. He still has to get through training camp and make the roster before he can get paid. So the part of this article where he "is making the leap to the NBA." isn't completely true. He already did this once before as stated with the Hawks.

Chris Gay
Chris Gay 09/21/10 - 04:13 pm
Garret called me recently and

Garret called me recently and delivered the info himself. He and his agent, Lance Young, are finalizing contract details. Garret will sign a guaranteed deal later this week. He told me the reason he went with Phoenix over Atlanta is because the Suns guaranteed a contract while the Hawks just extended an invitation to training camp. I've known Garret for six years. I trust his word.

jpeezy
jpeezy 09/21/10 - 08:27 pm
Alright cool cool... The

Alright cool cool...

The only reason i was concerned is because the Suns already have 16 players under contract and they have 3 camp invitees (Matt Janning, Zabian Dowdell, and Dwayne Jones) with non-guaranteed contracts. Most likely they will be adding either Janning, Dowdell, or Chucky Atkins (Who most likely will recieve a camp invitation) to their NBA roster and ONE big man. I wish the best for Garret, but the Suns are very high on Dwayne Jones and I dont know why they would try so hard to bring him back if they were just going to cut him in a couple of weeks.

Looks like Siler's contract will be, as you stated, about 2 yrs/league minimum (which is the same as what Janning recieved), but no guaranteed money past the preseason. I just have a hard time believing he will just be given a spot on the team like that.

Chris Gay
Chris Gay 09/22/10 - 03:19 pm
Unless Garret is being

Unless Garret is being hoodwinked, he's under the belief the Suns want him to play and develop in their system. In my conversations with him, and we spoke at length at The Family Y last week, he believes Phoenix wants him to be an integral part of the team for years to come. In other words, he didn't sound like someone worried about being cut in training camp.

jpeezy
jpeezy 09/22/10 - 06:18 pm
I believe you man, It just

I believe you man, It just seems odd because the Suns just inked F/C Channing Frye to a long term deal and have high hopes for Center Robin Lopez. I think Siler can be a good player in this league but he isnt exactly a prototypical "Suns Center" plus the Suns dont have room to add any more players. They already have 11, maybe 12, rotation players on the team. Current players under contract for the Suns:
Nash, Richardson, Hill, Turkoglu, Lopez, Warrick, Childress, Dragic, Frye, Dudley, Clark, Lawal.. Which leaves room for one or two more players. One of which will be a guard (looks like Matt Janning) and the other one figures to be a big man. I wouldn't mind if Siler made the team, and i hope he makes the team, but it would be odd to just sign a player after ONE day of voluntary workouts. Wouldn't you like to have him duel it out with another player in training camp? I guess we will find out next week though

coco rubio
coco rubio 09/23/10 - 10:46 am
go jags!

go jags!

DannyZ1177
DannyZ1177 09/27/10 - 05:08 pm
Jpeezy, you're 100% correct.

Jpeezy, you're 100% correct. I've been a Suns fanatic / follower my entire life. The Suns were thrilled when Dwayne Jones was waived by Toronto and I can assure you that he has the upper hand going into camp for the last roster spot. And beyond that, Siler just reported to camp weighing 330 lbs. If that isn't under 300 lbs by mid-October, you can pretty much guarantee that Siler will be waived before the end of the preseason and Dwayne Jones, a known entity, will win the 14th and final roster spot. I'm sure he's a good kid but he's probably listening with his heart and not his head