Georgia board approves raise, contract extension for Mark Richt

Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013 8:52 PM
Last updated 10:14 PM

ATHENS, Ga. — A one-year contract extension and increase in total compensation for head football coach Mark Richt were approved Tuesday by the University of Georgia Athletic Association Board of Directors.

The contract, which will soon be finalized, will include an increase in total compensation from $2.81 million to $3.2 million per year, as well as add an additional year to the contract, now set to run through 2017.

“(He’s done a tremendous) job leading our program,” said Director of Athletics Greg McGarity. “Twelve wins and the manner in which he’s done it, it’s just something we felt like we needed to do.”

Richt will be entering his 13th season as head football coach next fall.

“I’m honored and very thankful to (President) Dr. (Michael) Adams, Greg McGarity, and the Athletic Board for their support in what we are working daily to accomplish,” Richt said. “I look forward along with our staff to preparing this team for the challenges of another season. From what I’ve heard, our team is working hard in the off-season conditioning program and paying the price necessary to be successful in the Fall.

The board also approved the Young Alumni Ticket Program. The program will enable recent graduates to be awarded season tickets without initially making a contribution to the Hartman Fund.

Jake
Jake 02/12/13 - 11:35 pm
Hooray!

Richt has proven to be a good fit for Georgia and he will continue to produce a football program that will be competitive enough to try to gain an SEC Championship. I am not one of these "we have to have it now" fans, I will be patient. His good work will be rewarded one day and not just monetarily.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/13/13 - 12:44 am
I run hot and cold on Richt.

I run hot and cold on Richt. I love him for his demeanor and character; but he has proven not to be in the same league as other championship coaches. Spurrier outwits him more often than not, and they just seem to be lacking the qualities necessary to be a top 5 program.

Having said that; NO college coach should command that kind of salary. Our priorities are bass-ackwards.

Techfan
Techfan 02/13/13 - 06:24 am
How about knocking off $100k

How about knocking off $100k for every player jailed?

WAG
WAG 02/13/13 - 08:29 am
I love UGA football and Mark

I love UGA football and Mark but to make that kind of money as a coach is obscene! What about military, cops and firefighters. Makes me ashamed!

Bizkit
Bizkit 02/13/13 - 08:31 am
He is an evil 1% and doesn't

He is an evil 1% and doesn't deserve all that money for teaching a sport. Wow nobel laureates teach too but makea fraction of that income. I guess it's that reason for th wealth disparity. I guess it's the reason Georgians are on the low end of the education scale-sports is more important than education. I know give him the raise and then they can tax it 63%. The Obama plan will call it hee,hee,hee.

justthefacts
20365
justthefacts 02/13/13 - 08:49 am
Poor TechFan

We understand.

WeAreAllInfected
WeAreAllInfected 02/13/13 - 08:51 pm
Supply and demand.

Supply and demand. There's only 1 Mark Richt and right now he's in great demand. He can pretty much drop the t off his name at this point.

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.