Alabama holds off Georgia for title

ATLANTA — Alabama is heading back to the national championship game — by a mere 4 yards.

AJ McCarron threw a 45-yard touchdown pass to Amari Cooper with 3:15 remaining, and the No. 2 Crimson Tide barely held off No. 3 Georgia 32-28 in a Southeastern Conference title game for the ages Saturday.

After an apparent game-clinching interception by Alabama was overturned after looking at the replay, Georgia’s Aaron Murray completed a 15-yard pass to Arthur Lynch, a 23-yarder to Tavarres King and a 26-yarder to Lynch, who was hauled down at the Alabama 8 as the clock continued to run.

The Bulldogs were out of timeouts.

Instead of spiking the ball and gathering themselves, the Bulldog snapped the ball with 9 seconds to go. Murray threw a pass in the flat to Chris Conley, who slipped down at the 4.

Georgia couldn’t get off another play. Alabama celebrated as confetti fell from the Georgia Dome room. The Bulldogs collapsed on the field, stunned they had come so close to knocking off the team that has won two of the last three national titles.

The Tide will get a chance to make it three out of four when they face top-ranked Notre Dame for the BCS crown on Jan. 7 in Miami.

For the Bulldogs (11-2), the consolation prize will likely be a spot in the Capital One Bowl, though they certainly looked like a team fully deserving of a BCS bid.

In a back-and-forth second half that looked nothing like a game in the defensive-minded SEC, the Crimson Tide trailed 21-10 after Alec Ogletree returned a blocked field goal for a touchdown in the third quarter.

Alabama rallied behind a punishing run game, finishing with 350 yards on the ground, an SEC championship game record. Eddie Lacy finished with 181 yards on 20 carries, including two TDs. Freshman T.J. Yeldon had 153 yards on 25 carries, also scoring a TD.

But the Tide won it through the air.

With Georgia stacking the line, McCarron fooled the Bulldogs with play action and delivered a perfectly thrown pass to Cooper, who beat Damian Swann in single coverage.

prov227
prov227 12/01/12 - 09:23 pm
The ball should have been

SPIKED! Big league coaches know this. Capital One Bowl, oh no, not again.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/01/12 - 09:26 pm
Yep, we weren't outplayed, we

Yep, we weren't outplayed, we were outcoached.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/01/12 - 09:46 pm
Saban vs Richt?

No contest.

avidreader
avidreader 12/01/12 - 09:46 pm
Fun at Helga's

There were about 10 Alabama fans and 60 UGA fans at Helga's tonight. It was entertaining to watch the different emotions. However, the UGA fans can sleep peacefully knowing that their #11 will return next year. The NFL does not want a QB who cannot finish the job. The better team won, and above all, it was an extremely entertaining game. I love to watch football on TV, and it's especially fun when I never care who wins. I actually saw a young woman cry in a bar because her team lost. How ignorant can people be? It's a game!!!

Now, UGA fans, give me your best shot. But remember, I'm just an old Hippie who cares more about education than football.

faithson
faithson 12/01/12 - 10:53 pm
bobo's gotta go

and his boss as far as i'm concerned. Every chance to play in the 'big game' but coaching error killed it.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/02/12 - 12:04 am
Did you people watch the same

Did you people watch the same game I did? I just got home from the game and I saw what was agruably the best SECC game they've ever had! Back and forth with the "best" team in the SEC. And do NOT think for a minute that Alabama and Nick Saban don't know that they were in a real dog fight the entire game! I have seen enough games to comfortably say when we were outcoached or not, and tonight we were NOT outcoached. I know this will sound like sour grapes, but there are a few reasons Georgia lost tonight....and if you really know football, you'll agree with me. First off, the officiating was terrible! Even the head of college officials admitted that a flag should have been thrown on the defender for helmeting Aaron Murray. Alabama had only 2 penalties the entire game??? Please! Watch it again if you don't believe me and see how many times Jarvis Jones was held...I counted at least 7 times. (Yes, I watched and I counted.) I could go on, but I don't want this to become a sour grapes thing..really. Georgia had our chances, and we just came up short. I give alot of respect and congratulations to Alabama, I honestly do. Their runnings backs were great. They deserve the win in a game that could have gone either way. But please don't come on here and say that we were outcoached, when we clearly weren't. An avid, I saw someone cry tonight too after the game, and that was my son. He cried because he loves the game and he loves the Georgia Bulldogs....he grew up watching them and seeing how I follow them. Nothing wrong with that. The thing that I see as wrong is an old alcohol-swigging hippie who puts people down for showing their true emotions. Seems obvious that with all that education you've learned, none of it was about compassion. Go drink another beer.

KSL
KSL 12/02/12 - 12:52 am
JMO

Your comment about Avid was totally classless.

KSL
KSL 12/02/12 - 01:21 am
It's just a football game!

It's just a football game!

etlinks
19109
etlinks 12/02/12 - 09:21 am
Great game

Would like to have seen GA win. At least the NC game would have been worth watching. JMO-I know you probably don't care but I agree with your 11:04 post. Some fans just don't get it. And who made ksl the boss on what should and should not be talked about on these articles?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/02/12 - 09:26 am
KSL, do you really think it's

KSL, do you really think it's okay for someone to call someone else "ignorant" just because that person is so emotionally involved in a game that they are crying? As far as classless, I am assuming that since he was at Helga's between 4 and 8, he wasn't sipping tea. And why didn't YOU think his comment about the crying young lady was "classless"? All these comments are purely subjective anyway.
And etlinks, I do care what people think, so thanks for your comment. The ones I don't care about are the ones that are hypocritical.

KSL
KSL 12/02/12 - 01:46 pm
JMO, you said:

Oh, if I thought I was the boss of the comments, I would have asked for check out of the above quote. For all I know you and Avid may be friends and that quote could refer to an inside joke. Just reading it, there is no way to tell. Thus my comment.

Jake
Jake 12/02/12 - 02:41 pm
I agree JMO

Except for the alcohol swigging part, I thought your assessment of the game was pretty good. It sure sounded like the one I saw on the tube.
A lot of ups and downs emotionally throughout the entire game, which to me makes a great game.
Alabama has one heck of an offensive line and great backs to go with it. I just wish that the last pass would have been dropped on purpose to afford the Dawgs one more shot.
Not sure how the official missed the blatant illegal hit on Murray since he was standing right there. Must have been a 'Bama alumni. I guess in the end the better team won.

justthefacts
20325
justthefacts 12/02/12 - 06:33 pm
JMO

JMO. good post....all of it. I guessing Bama's #90 may be missing the Champ Game after the film is reviewed.