BCS possibilities open up for Georgia with upsets of Kansas State, Oregon

Sunday, Nov. 18, 2012 1:15 AM
Last updated 1:18 AM

A wild Saturday night moved Georgia that much closer to the BCS national title game before the clock struck midnight.

The Bulldogs got the upsets they were hoping from teams above them in the BCS standings.

First, BCS No. 1 Kansas State fell hard to Baylor, 52-24, for its first loss of the season.

Then, No. 2 Oregon was next to drop from the ranks of the unbeatens, tripped up in overtime by No. 13 Stanford, 17-14.

That means No. 5 Georgia seemingly controls its own destiny to get to its first BCS championship if it beats rival Georgia Tech Saturday in Athens and wins the Dec. 1 SEC championship game. The opponent in Atlanta is expected to be No. 4 Alabama, which still needs to beat Auburn Saturday to secure the SEC West title.

Georgia-Alabama would likely serve as an unofficial SEC national semifinal.

Notre Dame, the No. 3 BCS team, remained unbeaten with a 38-0 win against Wake Forest Saturday. It plays at Southern California next Saturday night.

“Notre Dame is now sitting pretty,” BCS analyst Brad Ewards said on ESPN radio. “If they beat USC next week, they’re going to be in the national championship game. If Alabama beats Auburn next week and Georgia beats Georgia Tech, then the SEC champion, the Alabama-Georgia winner, will be the highest-ranked one loss, and that would be the other team that I would guess you would call controls its destiny at this point. …That’s really all I can say for certain.”

The tweets came fast and furious from Georgia players in the moments after the win.

"Thank you Baylor, thank you Stanford," cornerback Sanders Commings tweeted.

"Yesssssssssssss!!!!!!," quarterback Aaron Murray tweeted. "The Murray household just went crazyyyyy!!!!!! #dawgsontop"

"I just did have a heart attack," receiver Chris Conley posted on his feed.

Yes, the Bulldogs were fans of Baylor and Stanford for a night.

"Oh yeah," Georgia coach Mark Richt said after Georgia's 45-14 win Saturday afternoon moved the Bulldogs to 10-1. "Absolutely. We'll see what happens."

What happened was close to chaos. Athens could be celebrating deep into Sunday.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/18/12 - 08:09 am
BCS

Three teams have almost complete control of their destiny. The next couple weeks will be as exciting as yesterday was. Hard to imagine Oregon and KState losing within hrs of each other. The pressure on these young men is unreal. We will see how Bama, the Irish, and the Dawgs handle it.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/18/12 - 09:00 am
Notre Dame vs. BAMA

The BCS Championship God wants to see. And most definitely the game for the BCS, Calbe and the Vegas gamblers.

Roll Tide !!!!!!!

BAMA set two more all time NCAA records in 2012, ten win seasons at 32, ten game win streaks at 23 before the loss. 61 bowl appearances will be next. The good Lord willing another SEC Championship (27), another bowl win (35) and National Championship (15)

Roll Tide !!!!!!

Let's see, UGA has one National Championship and Herschel has one. UGA has 12 SEC Championships and 26 bowl wins. UGA does have the 2nd most profitable collegiate football program in history????

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/18/12 - 09:02 am
All of the SEC teams made there Vegas Odds

BAMA gave 55 1/2 to WC. One more touchdown and wow 56 point lead. LOL LOL LOL Makes you wonder who is in control.

BAMA gave 2 to LSU. Won by four.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/18/12 - 09:47 am
Nick Saban WILL have Bama so

Nick Saban WILL have Bama so very focused on the Georgia game, it won't even be funny. Georgia will be just so happy to be there that I hope and pray that they will be prepared. Bama doesn't want to be caught with their pants down again this season. But, you know what, sometimes it works against a team to be TOO focused and TOO intense in their play.
I still don't understand something....even though Oregon lost, why can't they STILL be placed ahead of Georgia in the BCS poll?? I mean, Alabama didn't fall much because they lost to a ranked TA&M team. We'll just have to wait and see tonight.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/18/12 - 10:21 am
Its about stength of schedule. It about undefeated and by whom.

But most of all it is about marketing, viewer share, commercials millions ans MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. It is not about "pure football competition" on the field.

Who does America want to see in the BCS Championship Game.? What teams will keep the audience for four hours of commercials? What teams have a national following. Michigan, Ohio St, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma?

Notre Dame vs. BAMA. Notre Dame vs. GA. No one would care if Oregon plays BYU. LOL

No one cares if SF plays Texas for the World Series. NYY and anybody is a winner.

GREED is the name of the game.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/18/12 - 12:47 pm
On a side note....Tennessee

On a side note....Tennessee just fired Derek Dooley. Heard the job was Jon Gruden's if he wanted it....don't know why they'd want him, but that's the scuttle.

Jake
Jake 11/18/12 - 02:44 pm
Waiting

I am also curious as to how far Oregon & Kansas State will fall. One of these teams could still be ranked ahead of UGA. I would be surprised (and pleased) if UGA would move into the #3 spot.

KSL
KSL 11/18/12 - 04:23 pm
I savor Carolina's win over

I savor Carolina's win over GA.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/18/12 - 04:45 pm
Georgia, I'm a Gamecock,

just shut up and pay attention to your tasks at hand. You've been given two (2) gifts. Shut up and do your job, if you can.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/18/12 - 07:02 pm
Come on, KSL...don't be the

Come on, KSL...don't be the "old" Carolina fan where all y'all can find to do is to enjoy "moral victories"! I mean, if it makes you feel better to be sitting on the outside...again...looking in, then fine. So, while we're up playing in the SECC game in the Dome for the 2nd year in a row, you go and get you a big, tall glass of Pepsi and munch on some popcorn while you and momma are wearing your footy-pajamas, and watch us on the TV! Every time Georgia gets us a first-down, you can look over at momma and say "You know...we held them Dawgs when we played'em! We won that game...remember that Momma?? I still got the newspaper clipping...yup, we beat them Dawgs!".
Yeah...I can see how savoring that win over Georgia makes you feel pretty good. Doesn't quite fill that hole in your heart, but as long as it makes you feel better, then that's good.
Okay, okay...don't throw anything at your computer screen!! I was just kidding! Like I said after we lost, and I'm gonna stick to it, I do RESPECT Carolina for beating us. I honestly do. How we got here and y'all didn't, I just really don't know....but I'll take it. We very well might be coming home on the losing side, but I'm glad that our coach and our team had the oppurtunity to play for it. I know Carolina fans hate us, but I just hope that y'all can get behind us this one time and root for Georgia against Bama! I think Georgia fans would root for y'all against them.

KSL
KSL 11/18/12 - 07:35 pm
Go Georgia Tech! Actually I

Go Georgia Tech!

Actually I will always support Alabama over Georgia. I think it is because a lot of the Georgia fans in my family have been totally obnoxious. Not all of them, but enough of them.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/18/12 - 07:38 pm
Carolina game

The Carolina game was unfortunate, but it means nothing. The future is in the hands of the Dawgs. Let the cock fans have the memory. Lord knows they have not had many through the years.

KSL
KSL 11/18/12 - 07:40 pm
Florida too. Daughter-in-law

Florida too. Daughter-in-law is a gator.

I could not stand Vince Dooley. Poor mouthing before every game in case he lost it. Even my UGA elders didn't like that.

KSL
KSL 11/18/12 - 07:48 pm
You are right about that JTF.

You are right about that JTF. But then the likes of you said USC would be the joke of the SEC. Had no business trying to compete in the SEC.

I remember being a GA fan when my dad was in law school and after. Most of the after they sucked. Then there was the scandal that made national news. Butts and Bryant. Bryant survived. Butts got canned.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/18/12 - 07:56 pm
Seriously

Do you just make this stuff up?

In the 1960s, Butts filed a libel lawsuit against the Saturday Evening Post after it ran an article alleging that he and Alabama head coach Bear Bryant had conspired to fix games. Curtis Publishing Co. v. Butts, as it ultimately became when it reached the Supreme Court, was a landmark libel case. The court ruled in his favor in 1967, and the Saturday Evening Post was ordered to pay $3.06 million to him in damages, an amount which was later reduced on appeal to $460,000.[6] This settlement was seen as a contributing factor in the demise of the venerable Saturday Evening Post two years later.[6] Both Butts and Bryant had sued for $10 million each. Bryant settled for $300,000.

Butts was inducted into the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in 1966 and in the College Football Hall of Fame in 1997.[7]

Butts died of a heart attack after returning from a walk in 1973.[8] He was buried in Oconee Hill Cemetery in Athens, Georgia.[6]

KSL
KSL 11/18/12 - 08:34 pm
Did he or did he not lose his

Did he or did he not lose his job at GA?

KSL
KSL 11/18/12 - 08:36 pm
Paved the way for Dooley.

Paved the way for Dooley.

KSL
KSL 11/18/12 - 08:38 pm
A better coach.

A better coach.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/18/12 - 08:44 pm

He became Athletic Director and retired several yrs later.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/18/12 - 09:57 pm
OK

Three of top four BCS are SEC schools. Suppose Notre Dame loses to USC. A second straight all SEC Champ game??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/19/12 - 09:47 am
Early vs. Late

JMO asked:

It's an interesting phenomenon. Losing a game late in the season costs much more than losing a game early in the season. It doesn't seem fair, and it doesn't make sense, but it's just the way the polls work.

KSL
KSL 11/19/12 - 11:31 am
I have always wondered why my

I have always wondered why my Dad and Mother had no interest in their first child going to UGA.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/19/12 - 03:11 pm
I'll bite

Why? You once told us it was because you were too smart to go to UGA. Wasn't that the case?

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...