No. 6 Gamecocks pound No. 5 Bulldogs

Gamecocks 35, Bulldogs 7

Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012 10:25 PM
Last updated 10:28 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Fireworks kept shooting out of one end zone like it was a delayed Independence Day celebration at Williams-Brice Stadium.

Georgia flanker Rantavious Wooten, right drops a pass from quarterback Aaron Murray as South Carolina free safety D.J. Swearinger, left, looks on during the second quarter.  ASSOCIATED PRESS
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Connor Shaw threw two touchdown passes in the first quarter, Ace Sanders added a punt return for a score and No. 6 South Carolina thumped No. 5 Georgia, 35-7.

In the first top-10 matchup in Columbia, the Gamecocks (6-0, 4-0) posted their first three-game winning streak over the Bulldogs (5-1, 3-1) in their series, which dates back to 1894. South Carolina also handed Georgia its worst defeat in their rivalry, besting the previous 17-point margin set last in 1978.

Shaw led South Carolina to touchdowns on its first two possessions, throwing a 20-yard scoring pass to Bruce Ellington before connecting with Rory Anderson for a 14-yard touchdown. Then, Ace Sanders returned a punt 70 yard for a touchdown.

With 5:33 left in the first quarter, South Carolina led 21-0. The Gamecocks took that same margin into halftime, and the Bulldogs never recovered.

Georgia entered the game averaging 48.2 points a game, scoring 41 or more points in each of their first five contests this season. The Bulldogs were held to 224 total yards, 312 below their season average.

Georgia's Aaron Murray went 11 for 31 passing for 109 yards and an interception, while Ken Malcolme led the rushing attack (five rushes, 45 yards, one touchdown). Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall each were held to fewer than 40 yards.

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore rushed for 109 yards on 24 carries, marking the third time he’s bested the 100-yard barrier against Georgia.

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 10/06/12 - 09:47 pm
We got whupped, tonight.

We got whupped, tonight.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 10/06/12 - 09:51 pm
Beaten like a rented

Beaten like a rented mule.................

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 10/06/12 - 10:29 pm
Sportsmanship

We have learned how to be good winners. Unfortunately, tonight we had to learn how to accept a loss with the same amount of grace. Yes, we were beaten very badly and it seemed like our offensive line was totally unable to move those big boys out of the way or protect Murray. Spurrier has never been known for his sportsmanship as he always likes to trash talk. I am referring to several comments he made after the game. Well, I am still proud of my team and maybe they can learn from this game and go forward. Time will tell.

my.voice
my.voice 10/06/12 - 10:49 pm
I am a USC fan, but Spurrier

I am a USC fan, but Spurrier makes me sick. He's just not much of a man in my book. I am not a UGA fan, but I think the world of Coach Richt.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/06/12 - 10:55 pm
It was pitiful.

It was pitiful.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/06/12 - 11:04 pm
I just got home from the

I just got home from the game. It was ugly. This sounds strange, but I'd rather get beat by a butt-whoopin' like this than a slim-margin like last year! This year there are NO excuses for our team....can't blame it on a turnover..can't blame it on one or two bad plays. Georgia got out-coached and out-played on BOTH sides of the ball. Good luck to South Carolina the rest of the season. They deserved this win and Georgia deserved to lose. Not much else I can say....except I'm going to bed!

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 10/06/12 - 11:18 pm
As an Auburn fan....

...I'm familiar with the pain of loss....(hahaha)

Remember people.....it's just college football....all in good fun and generally everyone walks away at the end...

Considering what soldiers and policemen go through on a daily basis....

Big whoop....

Having said that......Gamecocks RULE!....

KSL
KSL 10/07/12 - 02:16 am
JMO

You are a very "classy fan." I am totally surprised at the outcome and I like Richt. Not certain how to spell his name.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/07/12 - 06:55 am
SC

SC looks good. Scary good. If they continue to play defense like this it could be a special year. UGA could have used Bennett. Murray looked lost without him. And I wish Rambo had made the interception on that first drive. It seemed to turn momemtum irreversably.

etlinks
etlinks 10/07/12 - 07:06 am
Wow! It was a special night.

Wow! It was a special night. JTF I agree with ksl thanks for a nice comment.

KSL
KSL 10/07/12 - 07:57 am
This is no time for Gamecock

This is no time for Gamecock fans to get cocky, pun intended. Win with class and move on to the rest of the season.

etlinks
etlinks 10/07/12 - 09:29 am
?

If this is not the time to get cocky when is the time? Just enjoy the win.

KSL
KSL 10/07/12 - 10:59 am
Exactly, enjoy the win.

Exactly, enjoy the win.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/07/12 - 11:45 am
It was interesting to see

It was interesting to see Carolina make history. I know they are excited about that. I enjoy watching Steve Spurrier's reactions as much as the game. He has been quite a character through the years. Poor thing, he is ruled by perfectionism.

etlinks
etlinks 10/07/12 - 12:40 pm
Boy I love someone dictating

Boy I love someone dictating how I enjoy a victory. Go Cocks!!!

KSL
KSL 10/07/12 - 06:26 pm
Just trying to keep you from

Just trying to keep you from turning into one of those SC fans like those really obnoxious GA fans, several of whom are familiy members. As I have posted before, most members of my family for 4 generations have gone to UGA.

KSL
KSL 10/07/12 - 06:44 pm
All I am saying is "don't

All I am saying is "don't start strutting around like a cock in the barnyard." This team and fans may deserve to, but there are games left. Just hold off.