Georgia wants another shot at LSU in SEC championship game

HOOVER, Ala. — The Georgia Bulldogs want to put the Southeastern Conference Eastern Division back atop the league.

Bulldogs wide receiver Tavarres King says a number of players returned for their senior season because they “had some unfinished business ... winning the big game of the SEC championship.”

Making it back to Atlanta isn’t good enough for the Bulldogs. Georgia is the media’s preseason favorite to repeat in the East, ahead of South Carolina.

LSU hammered the Bulldogs 42-10 in last year’s SEC championship game. Then, all but one of the rising seniors announced they were returning instead of entering the NFL draft.

Coach Mark Richt said at SEC media days Thursday those decisions are part of why he’s optimistic about this year.

The West has won the last three league championship games and national titles.

LSU was picked Thursday to win its second straight Southeastern Conference championship.

The Tigers got the nod in the Western Division over Alabama, the team that beat LSU in the BCS championship game in January. Arkansas was picked to finish third in the West, followed by Auburn, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Mississippi in a vote by the 222 media members attending the league’s media days.

Georgia was picked to win the Eastern Division, followed by South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore received the most votes on the first team, followed by LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu and Alabama center Barrett Jones.

LSU led the league with seven first-team selections, Alabama had five. The West had 20 of the 26 first-team selections.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/19/12 - 04:30 pm
These preseason polls are

These preseason polls are nothing but guesses. The writers/pollsters want you to think they know what they're talking about, and they will happily and loudly remind you IF the were correct,......BUT, if they were wrong, you won't hear a peep out of them.
I sure hope the Missouri fans don't see that these writers aren't picking them to be first in the East! Man, my obnoxious Missouri neighbor will have a field day with that! I can already tell that he's going to give the other SEC fans a run for their money in the obnoxious department!
Mark my words, Marcus Lattimore will NOT be the same type of great runner he was before! Getting your knee blown out like that gives you PLENTY of time to think about what may have been and what he stands to lose ($$$) if it happens again. All it takes is your knee getting hit or twisted the wrong way, and KABLEWEEEEEE!!! Look for Marcus to run out of bounds more often or slide more often to avoid the hits.
I'm frankly looking for A&M to do better than listed..I think they'll end up 3rd in the West, beating Auburn and Arkansas....remember, Arkansas has a new head coach and Auburn has new offensive and defensive coordinators, and that's an awfully hard thing to win on in the first year.
Folks, I'm ready for some college football!!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/19/12 - 04:32 pm
Go Dawgs

Sic em.

yasper21
yasper21 07/19/12 - 05:09 pm
thUGA wants to do what?

To be the best, you've got to BEAT the best. thUGA is more concerned with backing out of games against the better teams. thUGA can't back out of having to lose to USC so they do what they can by having the game moved. Bama on the schedule?...run, baby, run. thUGA is becoming an embarrassment to the SEC for the dummied down schedules in 2011 and 2012/13. thUGA: where doing less with more is a tradition!

Insider Information
Insider Information 07/19/12 - 05:26 pm
In last year's SEC

In last year's SEC championship, LSU spotted UGA two full quarters and still LSU dominated them.

Jake
Jake 07/19/12 - 06:45 pm
Last year

LSU did not even get a first down in the first half against UGA in the SEC Championship game last year. Then at halftime they put their jock straps on and served filet of roasted Dawg at the Georgia Dome. It was hard to watch, being a Georgia fan, but was not unexpected.
I remember a few years ago when UGA was a pre-season rated #1 and they ended up playing like the pups instead of Dawgs. Pre-season ratings don't mean squat.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/19/12 - 07:18 pm
yasper, do you even know what

yasper, do you even know what you're talking about? Any REAL football fan knows that the schools have no say so about the schedule...that is done out of the SEC office. You never came out and said it, so I'll just assume you're a Carolina fan. Typically don't get things your way, so you cry and complain about it...just like your coach Spurrier. Spurrier only cried about the longstanding policy of the way they determine the division title AFTER Carolina was out of it. He never said anything about it before.
And as far as me complaining or whining about LSU vs UGA SECC game, you won't hear any from me! Georgia got man-handled by a much better LSU team...a team that went and played in the National Championship game, and there's no disgrace in that.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/19/12 - 09:08 pm
In fact

Jake, the year was 2008. They finish 10-3, beat Mich St 24-12 in their bowl and finished 10th. Hardly "pups". Ga fan, yeah, right. Might be a long year for the UGA haters.

yasper21
yasper21 07/19/12 - 09:28 pm
"Any REAL football fan knows

"Any REAL football fan knows that the schools have no say so about the schedule...that is done out of the SEC office."

It's one thing to be blind, another to choose not to see. Plenty of lobbying went into thUGA's new and improved schedule. thUGA is the UNC of the SEC. Duck and weave, duck and weave, son.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/19/12 - 10:46 pm
yasper, so I've called you on

yasper, so I've called you on your error about any school making their own schedule, and now you're backtracking and saying that it was because of "lobbying"! And what the heck does UNC have to do with anything?? You have to make yourself clearer if you want people to think you know what you're talking about.....son. Hahahahahahaha!!

yasper21
yasper21 07/19/12 - 11:29 pm
Son

Emulation is said to be the most sincere form of flattery. You have my blessing, though I doubt you'll even understand what I mean.
UNC also backed out of a contracted football game not so long ago. Maybe a "real" football fan would've known that though.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/20/12 - 07:40 am
JMO

Obviously not worth the trouble. Go Dawgs.

David Parker
David Parker 07/20/12 - 10:15 am
Maybe this time the Honey

Maybe this time the Honey Badger will care. He certainly didn't live up to billing in last year's game. Not that my Dawgs put on a show or anything. At least they didn't play any hype cards. Georgia got in b/c of quality wins, not quantity OR if you'd rather look at it this way, they got in b/c SC didn't win their quality match-ups. Either way, Sic'm!

etlinks
20728
etlinks 07/20/12 - 10:16 am
time will tell

41 days,8 hrs. until kickoff.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/20/12 - 10:48 am
Yasper, sometimes "emulation"

Yasper, sometimes "emulation" is condescending ridicule, not flattery. And you're correct...I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying Georgia backed out of a contracted agreement to have a game with someone? And who would that team be? Do you know? Or are you just shooting in the dark? That's probably why I can't understand you. Now, Georgia DID "back out" of one game last year...and that was switching their first game of the season against the University of Louisville for Boise State. Now, in hindsight, I DO wish we would've kept UL because we got our booties smacked by Boise...but I think everyone would agree that that switch was a step "up" for Georgia because Boise is a better team than the Louisville. Is THAT what you're talking about? Really?

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/20/12 - 04:06 pm
JMO, The schools agree to

JMO, The schools agree to play outside conference games. They usually pay millions to beat the little guys up. The only say that the SEC has is on conference games. The schools build their own schedule around the conference games and they pick which order they play.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/20/12 - 04:49 pm
Thanks High for that

Thanks High for that clarification. I already knew that and that's what I was talking to yasper about. He hasn't made anything clear yet, so I was assuming he was talking about the conference games. The only question I'd have with what you've said is about the order that the schools pick to play the games....are you saying each school gets to pick WHEN they play a conference game, an out-of-conference game, or they get to pick when they play EVERY game? I think the conference sets up the entire conference schedule and the schools fill in those holes with OOC games.