Spurrier to visit Columbia County

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:27 PM
Last updated 7:26 PM

Steve Spurrier is coming to Columbia County.

The famed coach of the South Carolina Gamecocks football team is scheduled to visit Evans Towne Center Park with the Gamecock Club Fan Fest on May 10, said Tom Rogers, president of the Augusta Area Gamecock Club.

“He only does six of these events in the entire spring, so it’s pretty neat that he’s coming to Columbia County,” Rogers said.

Carolina football representatives visited the area to scout locations for the event and “went nuts” over Columbia County’s new park and its Lady Antebellum Pavilion, Rogers said, choosing it in preference to several Augusta locations including GreenJackets Stadium and the Kroc Center.

“I was out to promote Columbia County, and I felt this would give us some exposure,” Rogers said. “This is the only meeting (Spurrier) will have for this particular area,” which also includes nearby South Carolina counties.

In addition to Spurrier, the Gamecocks booster club event, from 5:30-8 p.m., will feature performances from the Gamecock cheerleaders, mascot Cocky, and Columbia, S.C., band Tokyo Joe. Children’s activities and food vendors will be available, Rogers said.

“It’s just a real festival atmosphere,” he added.

Admission to the event costs $5 at the gate. For information, email gcclub@mailbox.sc.edu.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/30/12 - 03:14 pm
Okay, before all you Gamecock

Okay, before all you Gamecock fans go running amok and think this is the next greatest thing since scattered/smothered/and covered hashbrowns, just remember that Spurrier DOES go to these things and this just happens to be held at the new pavilion. Gotta hold it somewhere, so why not there? From what I understand, it's the best place to have it since all those Gamecock fans will be driving their tractors and 4-wheelers...and maybe even bring in a couple of their mobile homes! Now, before you chicken-fans have a fit, I would like to say that I honestly do think having this thing at the new Evans park is a good thing and I wonder if this might be a dry run for them having the Border Bash there?? Never ever been to the BB, but I might just go if it's right there.

augos
augos 04/30/12 - 03:32 pm
Coincides with his 10:00 tee

Coincides with his 10:00 tee time at Augusta National.

David Parker
David Parker 04/30/12 - 04:08 pm
I'm gonna see if he'll sign

I'm gonna see if he'll sign my visor

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/30/12 - 10:32 pm
I despise him with a passion

I despise him with a passion because of his attitude and behavior on the sidelines. However, I respect the heck out of him as a coach; his record speaks for itself.

And... my wife would divorce me and friends disown me if I paid $5 to see him. :)

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/01/12 - 03:16 pm
itsanotherday1, I'm so glad

itsanotherday1, I'm so glad you posted that comment! For about 2 seconds, I had thought about going, just to see what the hub-bub was about. But then you reminded me that I'd have to shell out $5 to see Spurrier??? PAY to see him??? Naaaaaaahhhh! BTW, your wife sounds like a good woman! She just saved me $5!! That does make me wonder though...why is it only $5 to see Spurrier and $20 to see Coach Richt??

gateway1961
gateway1961 05/10/12 - 11:00 am
why is it only $5 to see

why is it only $5 to see Spurrier and $20 to see Coach Richt?? Cuz Spurrier doesn't need bail money for his players!

Man reports McCormick attack

A South Carolina man told police three men attempted to sexually assault him and then shot at him while he was bicycling in McCormick County late Saturday.