Andrew Luck. Go ahead and give the Heisman Trophy to the Stanford quarterback. Luck led a late comeback to help the Cardinal upend Southern Cal in three overtimes, posting 366 yards of offense and four touchdowns.
Georgia knuckleheads. File this under the category: “Stupid is as stupid does.” Coming off the high of the Bulldogs’ win over Florida, running backs Isaiah Crowell, Ken Malcome and Carlton Thomas all received one-game suspensions for this week’s game for the vague “violation of team policies.”(You can read the various rumors on Twitter, Google, etc.) For Crowell and Thomas, it’s their second suspensions this year – Crowell sat out the first quarter at Vanderbilt, while Thomas was suspended for the season opener. What’s with these former four- and five-star recruits with one-star character? Instead of suspensions, how about pulling scholarship money away from them? Nothing will grab a player’s attention like taking away a free ride to college.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
Is this loser of this week’s No. 1. Louisiana State at No. 2 Alabama matchup eliminated from the national championship chase?
RANKING THE BIG FOUR
1 South Carolina (7-1, 5-1 Southeastern Conference). While the Gamecock offense looked out of sorts at times, the defense came through at Tennessee. Gamecocks are hoping defense wins them another division championship.
2. Clemson (8-1, 5-1 Atlantic Coast Conference). After looking great on offense the first two months, the Tigers looked average in Atlanta. Clemson could get a rematch with Georgia Tech in the ACC title game.
3. Georgia (6-2, 5-1 SEC). Kudos to coach Mark Richt for saving his job. Now all he needs to do is hire a special teams coach.
4. Georgia Tech (7-2, 4-2 ACC). As quarterback Tevin Washington goes, so goes the triple-option offense.
• New Mexico State at Georgia, 12:30 p.m. (CSS)
• The Citadel at Georgia Southern, 2 p.m. (No TV)
• South Carolina at Arkansas, 7:15 p.m. (ESPN)
THIS WEEK'S STORYLINES
Clemson: Gets a well-deserved off week to prepare for the stretch run.
Georgia: If you have any eligibility left, please see Richt. He needs a running back. STAT!
Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets receive extra rest in preparation of next week’s Thursday night showdown with Virginia Tech.
South Carolina: Gamecocks must figure out a way to contain the league’s best passing attack.