Vanderbilt. After winning two games each of the past two seasons, the Commodores are off to a 3-0 start. So what’s the difference this year? Vanderbilt has forced 12 turnovers this season, including five in last week’s
conference-opening win over Mississippi.
Boston College. The Eagles used to be good. What happened? Just last season, Boston College won seven games – they won’t come near that total this year. The Eagles are off to an 0-3 start after a loss to Duke, and Boston College hasn’t even hit its tough stretch yet.
Is it too early to crank up that Marcus Lattimore campaign for the Heisman Trophy? Through three games, the South Carolina sophomore leads the nation in rushing with 531 yards, along with seven touchdowns. He’s on pace to easily break George Rogers’ school season rushing record (1,781 yards in 1980); Lattimore is on schedule to surpass the 2,100-yard mark, and that doesn’t include a possible Southeastern Conference championship game and bowl contest.
1. South Carolina (3-0, 1-0 Southeastern Conference). Gov. Nikki Haley just signed into law (not really) that Gamecock fans must keep a defibrillator on hand at all times for the rest of the season.
2. Clemson (3-0). Offensive coordinator Chad Morris is the man of the hour. What will he draw up for Florida State?
3. Georgia Tech (3-0). Yellow Jackets successfully avenged last year’s loss to Kansas with second-half onslaught.
4. Georgia (1-2, 0-1 SEC). It wasn’t much of an opponent, but the Bulldogs grabbed some confidence with their win.
• North Carolina at Georgia Tech, noon (ESPN)
• Georgia at Ole Miss, 12:21 p.m. (CBS-Ch. 12)
• Delaware State at S.C. State, 2 p.m. (No TV)
• Florida State at Clemson, 3:30 (ESPN)
• Western Carolina at Georgia Southern, 6 (No TV)
• Vanderbilt at South Carolina, 7 (ESPN2)
Clemson: Beating the Seminoles would be quite the statement.
Georgia: This looks like a trap game, with Mississippi State waiting in the wings. Then again, maybe the Bulldogs have gotten over the hump.
Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets face ACC’s No. 2 run defense.
South Carolina: The Gamecocks’ game plan – Lattimore, Lattimore and more Lattimore.