Bulldogs strength coach is relieved of his duties

Dave Van Halanger, who followed coach Mark Richt from Florida State, was removed as Georgia's strength and conditioning coach on Thursday.

Mark Richt: Georgia head coach replaced Dave Van Halanger as strength coach with a former Bulldog, Joe Tereshinski.   Ed Andrieski/AP Photo
Ed Andrieski/AP Photo

Joe Tereshinski, an ex-Bulldogs player who has been on staff since 1982, will replace Van Halanger effective Jan. 1, according to Georgia.

Van Halanger, 57, said Richt informed him Thursday during a meeting that he was being reassigned to a position as administrative assistant to Richt.

"My goal is to be a strength coach," Van Halanger said. "I'm a good strength coach. I want to be a strength coach again some time. I will work tremendously hard at whatever I need to do. I love working with kids. I love working with the kids at Georgia."

Van Halanger said he still needs to talk to Richt about whether he will continue as strength coach through the bowl game.

"I understand him and he understands that I'm going to do everything I can to help," Van Halanger said. "Mark wanted to make a change. I'm going to be assigned to other duties and I'm going to work very hard at it."

Tereshinski, also 57, was a two-year starter at center for Georgia in 1975-76. He has been an assistant strength coach since 1982 while also serving as assistant offensive line coach from 1982-84, administrative assistant to the coach Vince Dooley in 1985-86 and video coordinator since 1987.

NEWTON SAGA: NCAA President Mark Emmert responded to the backlash that the governing body is allowing Cam Newton to play in the SEC Championship game even though his father sought payment for his services.

"We recognize that many people are outraged at the notion that a parent or anyone else could 'shop around' a student-athlete and there would possibly not be repercussions on the student-athlete's eligibility," Emmert said in a statement on the NCAA's Web site.

Emmert added that he's committed to "further clarifying and strengthening our recruiting and amateurism rules so they promote appropriate behavior by students, parents, coaches and third parties." He also said the NCAA will "work aggressively with our members to amend our bylaws so that this type of behavior is not a part of intercollegiate athletics."

COLORADO: Athletic director Mike Bohn says he hopes to hire a coach in the next few days and denied he had already offered the job to Washington Redskins assistant Jon Embree.

Arkansas State: Hugh Freeze, the high school coach portrayed in the blockbuster movie The Blind Side, has been elevated to top job at Arkansas State.

BOWLS: The Chick-fil-A Bowl has announced one of the teams for its Dec. 31 game. Well, sort of.

Officials for the Atlanta-based bowl say they will invite the loser of Saturday's Atlantic Coast Conference championship game between No. 12 Virginia Tech (10-2) and No. 20 Florida State (9-3).

The winner earns an automatic BCS bid and a likely trip to the Orange Bowl.

- Syracuse has accepted an invitation to represent the Big East Conference in the inaugural Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.

The Orange (7-5) will face a representative of the Big 12 on Dec. 30.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/03/10 - 06:23 am
Richt is now getting rid of

Richt is now getting rid of his strength coach. Last year it was the defensive coaches. Who is it going to be next year, the groundskeepers? College football is getting more and more like the NFL. Whatever happened to coaches being secure in their positions, as their staffs were, and being at the institutions for decades win or lose?

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/03/10 - 08:08 am
So river, you don't believe

So river, you don't believe in accountability? Jobs for life?? It is obvious that UGA has been getting beat on the line of scrimmage for some time by stronger opponents. Other teams were commenting that UGA's players appeared "spent" by the 4th qtr. The guy was Richt's best friend. Obviously, it was a tough decision.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/03/10 - 09:18 am
Justthefacts, it's not that I

Justthefacts, it's not that I dislike Richt. He's an extraordinary person in many regards. But the whole thing about college football and winning at all costs is starting to bother me.

Remember how it used to be hard for an athlete to get into college if his grades were bad? Remember how colleges would endure 4-5 bad years just writing it off to being part of the game? Remember how coaches always worried about the school's image above everything else? How college presidents would make athletes behave or be forced to leave school? How there was no such thing as tutors who handed out class notes with things highlighted. Ahhhhh, it's just me lamenting. It's never going to be that way again. Go Cocks, Dawgs, Tigers and Yellow Jackets.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/03/10 - 09:48 am
I hear ya River. The money is

I hear ya River. The money is just to big now. If Richt doesn't turn it around next year, he's likely gone. He knows that. It's ridiculous.

markmjtx
markmjtx 12/03/10 - 02:49 pm
Two biographies of Bear

Two biographies of Bear Bryant reported that he did not fire any assistant coaches in a career that lasted from 1946-1982. It is indeed a different world now.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/03/10 - 04:42 pm
Okay, I'd like to make 2

Okay, I'd like to make 2 responses to these comments. First of all, what many people may not realize is that Van Halanger has had some serious health setbacks in the last few years that have caused him to reduce the amount of time he's spent "coaching". Sometimes he only came in to the workout rooms once a week! This left alot of the supervision to 2 assistants..who were getting paid pennies on the dollar compared with Van Halanger. So, yeah...workouts were not as productive as they had been when VH first came on board. And markmjtx, my question about those Bear Bryant biographies saying he never fired any assistant coaches...well, I have to wonder how many of those assistant coaches quit or were transferred? When you worked for a man like Bryant, not everyone will get along with him or his work habits, and people will leave. However, I do agree with y'all in that this is a different world now. One of the things I like about the hiring of Joe Tereshinski is that he is VERY old-school! He held a team meeting this morning and already laid down the law about the changes that were coming up, including nutrition education, increased workout periods, and even the filming of those workouts. The proof will come next year, I guess.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/03/10 - 09:12 pm
Just My Opinion, thanks for

Just My Opinion, thanks for that insight into matters.

Bear Bryant was something and not all good. He was an alcoholic through many of those years. We all know about the rehab and so on. Apparently Bear started drinking at breakfast discreetly. Waiters said he would have them sweenten up his orange juice. But still some man.

Many great men had that problem. General Patton used to start his day with two shots of bourbon and drank all day. He told his aides when they met with their Soviet counterparts that they better not let a Russian son of a....out drink them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/03/10 - 08:24 pm
One of these days the truth

One of these days the truth is going to come out about Bear Bryant and Wally Butts. Butts has to be the worst coach UGA has ever had. He was much worse than Bryant with the alcoholism and the womanizing.