King adds to Georgia arrest list

ATHENS, Ga. --- The good vibes that came from Georgia's victory against Tennessee were abruptly interrupted Monday with yet another arrest of a Bulldogs football player.

Running back Caleb King, a redshirt junior who started and led the team in rushing in the Bulldogs' 41-14 victory, was arrested in Athens for not appearing in court in Walton County for a speeding ticket.

King is the 11th Georgia football player arrested this year.

Coach Mark Richt did not meet with reporters Monday and did not announce any discipline for King.

"We're going to do what we feel like is the right thing to do," Richt said on his radio call-in show Monday night. "Bottom line is we've got to make sure everybody takes care of business."

Georgia associate athletic director Claude Felton said Richt spent most of Monday gathering information about the arrest.

A caller to Richt's show asked about the arrest as it relates to recruiting.

"It was not a responsible thing, but I can't say that it's some kind of awful act that we all should just be ashamed of," Richt said. "All these young men have to understand they have a responsibility to take care of whatever issue they have. If they have a ticket, they need to pay it. If they don't, they need to show up to their court date. Those things are certainly obvious, and we have got to get better at those kinds of things."

King was booked into the Clarke County Jail at 5:08 a.m. Monday and released at 10:45 a.m., according to the jail's online booking report.

He practiced Monday evening, but his teammates said they didn't know whether he will play Saturday.

Running back Washaun Ealey, who was suspended for the first game of the season after an arrest, would be expected to have a bigger workload if King doesn't play.

"I feel like I'm up to the challenge," Ealey said. "I'm pretty sure they have other guys ready to step in."

On June 20, police clocked King going 76 mph in a 55 mph zone, according to Walton County warrants clerk Cindy Hester.

King is Georgia's second-leading rusher with 228 yards and a touchdown.

He was arrested in 2007 by university police after riding a motor scooter the wrong way on a one-way street on campus. A computer check showed his license had been suspended.

Saturday's games

- Vanderbilt at Georgia, noon (CBS-Ch. 12)

- Maryland at Clemson, noon (Fox-Ch. 54)

- Middle Tennessee State at Georgia Tech, 3:30 p.m. (ESPN3.com)

- Georgia Southern at Chattanooga, 6 p.m. (No TV)

- South Carolina at Kentucky, 6 p.m. (ESPN2)

mommabird
mommabird 10/11/10 - 10:09 am
When will it ever end...Mark

When will it ever end...Mark Richt is a first class guy and great coach..these players should really be ashamed for their actions and such an embarassement to their school and coach!!

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 10/11/10 - 10:10 am
Ho Hum! another rap sheet

Ho Hum! another rap sheet statistic for a bullldog. what else is new

KSL
KSL 10/11/10 - 10:13 am
Gee whiz!

Gee whiz!

fontana
fontana 10/11/10 - 10:44 am
The only reason they let

The only reason they let numbskull's like this into a college is sports. Has nothing to do with intelligence. Bunch of losing idiots. Throw the key away. If he was a 2nd or 3rd string player he'd be tossed off the team to set an example, an example to other 2nd and 3rd string players, not guys like this. They'll do NOTHING to this idiot.

csrareader
csrareader 10/11/10 - 10:42 am
"Bunch of losing idiots.

"Bunch of losing idiots. Throw the key away"

fontana
fontana 10/11/10 - 10:45 am
For protection from himself,

For protection from himself, not a stupid speeding ticket.

Ugahater715
Ugahater715 10/11/10 - 10:47 am
Awesome!

Awesome!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/10 - 10:47 am
Come on guys, it's only a

Come on guys, it's only a missed court date for a speeding ticket. Relax. He will pay the ticket and that's it. I believe most everyone has gotten a ticket at least once.

Ugahater715
Ugahater715 10/11/10 - 10:56 am
Come on guys, it's only the

Come on guys, it's only the 12 arrest of the season. Relax.

tntgunworks
tntgunworks 10/11/10 - 11:35 am
they are already having a

they are already having a tuff season, sit him for one game and send a message that the players need to grow up. he got the ticket so he should have payed it on time. no need to treat "celebs" any different that us.

fungirl
fungirl 10/11/10 - 11:37 am
Sure - everyone has had a

Sure - everyone has had a ticket at some point, but as law states, we pay the ticket, something King didnt do. I dont think that he should just be able to pay the ticket and be done. He needs to suffer the consequences, whether its missing a game or two, or getting kicked off of the team. Richt needs to show the guys how to be accountable for their actions, and maybe they wouldnt have so many guys getting arrested. If Richt cant hold them accountable, then someone needs to hold HIM accountable. All he had to do was pay the ticket!

csrareader
csrareader 10/11/10 - 11:46 am
"I dont think that he should

"I dont think that he should just be able to pay the ticket and be done. He needs to suffer the consequences, whether its missing a game or two, or getting kicked off of the team."

So if this happens to you -- the answer is to suspend you from work for one or two weeks, or fire you from your job -- even after you pay your ticket.

hope7
hope7 10/11/10 - 11:53 am
Well, I decided I would not

Well, I decided I would not watch thugs play football this year. Then I wanted to tell the recruitors, these guys have criminal records BEFORE they get to UGA and why are you signing these kinds of people? Now, I sit back and sigh, hoping someone in the UGA higher ups, will make serious changes before next season.

ccres
ccres 10/11/10 - 12:01 pm
Not saying this is what

Not saying this is what happened, because as of yet, the only thing we know is that the ticket wasn't paid. Maybe he simply forgot the date. Hold the fire until we know what happened. It was a ticket, for Pete's sake. He didn't rape anyone or drive drunk. It could have been quite unintentional.

reader54
reader54 10/11/10 - 12:13 pm
CSRA: There is a bloodthirsty

CSRA: There is a bloodthirsty lot on this board! As if our country doesn't lock up enough petty criminals. Some here were screaming last week b/c a 15 yr. old convict ONLY got a life sentence. Yep, they wanted "the chair".

CSLEWIS II
CSLEWIS II 10/11/10 - 12:32 pm
Time to purge the UGA team

Time to purge the UGA team and start with a clean slate.....while they try to rebuild their team and institutional reputation they can apply for entry into the "6 man football league", if they have enough players left.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/11/10 - 12:45 pm
Plug someone else in and go

Plug someone else in and go beat Vandy. Go Dawgs.

GatorXL
GatorXL 10/11/10 - 12:48 pm
I guess we're going to have

I guess we're going to have to change the name of the team to THE GEORGIA JAIL-DOGS.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/11/10 - 12:55 pm
Hey gator, you've got your

Hey gator, you've got your own problems. Urban has had over 30 arrests..last count. Plus, it appears, your new QB is, well...bad.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 10/11/10 - 12:57 pm
"duh (speaking tothe judge,

"duh (speaking tothe judge, coach and boosters), ummm well, what had happen was....I FORGOT...yeah, yeah that's it...what had happen was i was on my way(at 5am) to pay the ticket when you stopped me, oh you meanb the items reported stolen, but found there way into my room...ummmm well, what had happen was...I FOUND THEM...yeah, yeah that's it!!! I FOUND THEM(for all those defenders out there, it was annouced on the news break while listening to boortz). 11 more arrests and there will be enuff to field an offensive and defensive team....all rule/law breakers shoudl be dismissed from the team immediately, how can you expect them to exercise good judgement on the field, in the classroom and in life if they can't exercise good judgement at this point in their lives to follow rules(selling bowl game jerseys) or laws (criminal, traffic..etc), but they will have to "sit" for the first 2 minutes of the next game, and the coach will stand in front of the media and claim how contrite, sorry and remorseful they are(or in other words be an "enabler") just so they can play football on saturday

floridasun
floridasun 10/11/10 - 01:00 pm
They don't call the U of

They don't call the U of Georgia mascot thUGA for nothing.

soldout
soldout 10/11/10 - 01:19 pm
Surely there are some young

Surely there are some young folks out there with character that can still play good football. It is easier to teach someone to play good football than to change their character.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/11/10 - 02:14 pm
soldout, "character"? Have

soldout, "character"? Have you never had a speeding ticket?

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 10/11/10 - 03:19 pm
Wow, it's awesome how many

Wow, it's awesome how many people in the Augusta area are high. I bet these same people wanting King to 'pay the consequences' are the same ones who cry when a cop pulls them over, "please dont give me a ticket, my wife will be mad at me ". Hypocrites.

kingcarolinafan
kingcarolinafan 10/11/10 - 04:59 pm
I do not like UGA (although

I do not like UGA (although Richt is a stand-up guy) but King does not deserve a "throw away a key" sentence. This type of infraction is something many people commit for one reason or another. He should be made to pay the fine and it will cost even more for him to reinstate his license and any "high-risk" insurance premiums he may have to pay. I think sitting a game would be a good and satisfactory punishment.

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/10 - 08:47 pm
"So you want to lock him up

"So you want to lock him up and throw the key away for not paying a speeding ticket?"

"police discovered Caleb King did not have a valid license because of the outstanding warrant issued Aug. 9 by Walton County. That warrant was for failure to appear in court three days earlier after police clocked King going 76 miles per hour in a 55-mile-per-hour zone on June 20, according to Cindy Hester of the Walton County Sheriff’s Department."

I've gotten 3 tickets in my life. And with all 3, I knew I had to pay them. I didn't forget that I got the ticket. And I especially didn't forget for 2 months. How do you forget getting stopped by the police?

The problem isn't the speeding ticket, its the blatant disregard for the law. I know that if I get a ticket and don't pay it, my license will be suspended and a warrant will be issued for my arrest. He knew it too- but didn't care.

I would also have the good sense to know that if I did have a warrant out on me, I wouldn't VOLUNTARILY go meet the police.

That puts the D in dumb. Or the A in arrogant, take your pick.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/12/10 - 10:28 am
He's a kid. He will learn

He's a kid. He will learn either by instruction or consequences. In this case, the court will set the consequences and hopefully he will learn something. Not to worry, if he doesn't get it this time, there will be other chances for him. The adults with many years of experiential knowledge need to lighten up; you'll have plenty of opportunies to tell your own kids how smart you are.