With Lattimore, run now Spurrier's focus

COLUMBIA --- Run it up has a new meaning for South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier this season.

South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore (top) rushed for 182 yards and two touchdowns on Saturday, leading the Gamecocks past Georgia and to 13th in The Associated Press Top 25 poll.  Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

Spurrier, who never met a pass-pattern he wouldn't call, gladly kept handing off to untested freshman tailback Marcus Lattimore in a 17-6 win over Georgia on Saturday.

Lattimore rushed 37 times for two touchdowns and 182 yards, the second-highest rushing total ever for a Gamecock freshman.

South Carolina (2-0, 1-0 SEC) improved 11 spots to No. 13 in the Top 25 while Georgia fell out of the rankings.

Southeastern Conference opponents might have to get used to Spurrier's running style. Lattimore ran the ball at the most crucial moments in his first SEC contest against Georgia.

He got the ball near the goal line twice, each time delivering with 2-yard scoring runs. Then in the fourth quarter and Georgia (1-1, 0-1) down 14-6, Lattimore ran eight of 11 plays and gained 56 yards on a clinching field goal drive.

"I don't think I've ever had a running back break as many tackles as Marcus did yesterday," Spurrier said Sunday.

That's high praise from a coach who's sent stars such as Errict Rhett and Fred Taylor to the NFL during his championship run at Florida.

With Lattimore's success against Georgia, running the ball "appeared to be the best way to put it away," Spurrier said.

Not that Spurrier's given up on his beloved pass attack. He grimmaced when fullback Brian Maddox couldn't collect a Stephen Garcia pass that would've been a wide-open touchdown.

Garcia finished a tidy 12 of 17 for 165 yards, but took five sacks, something Spurrier has groused about for two seasons.

That's got to change, Spurrier said, because South Carolina likely can't count on Lattimore to carry the load all by himself against the SEC heavyweights Florida and Alabama.

"We've got to get better in the passing game," Spurrier said.

NAAustin
NAAustin 09/12/10 - 09:02 pm
Go Gamecocks!

Go Gamecocks!

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/12/10 - 09:38 pm
I'm not for or against the

I'm not for or against the Gamecocks but I am happy for Spurrier.

curly123053
curly123053 09/12/10 - 11:10 pm
In 1984 I attended every

In 1984 I attended every Carolina home game when they had the Fire Ant defense. Anybody remember that year? I think the Carolina defense resembled the Fire Ant defense a few times out there Saturday. If Carolina stays healthy this could be an interesting season.

KSL
KSL 09/12/10 - 11:37 pm
Yes indeed, curly. They had

Yes indeed, curly. They had the Fire Ant defense form 83-88. 88 was my son's Freshman year. He had gone to quarterback camp at GA the summer before is Senior year in HS. He and Wright Mitchell were quarterbacking the scout team. The the defensive coaches wanted the qb's run some of the plays was not the way GA actually did. and he pointed it out. They listened to him and they beat Georgia at Williams-Brice that year.

smartie
smartie 09/13/10 - 03:01 am
yes, yes! that's a fine story

yes, yes! that's a fine story ksl. except for the fact that IT"S CHEATING!! and as for 1984, was that the year that the naval academy ended the national championship hopes of the cocks? i believe it was! must've used some amdro.

NAAustin
NAAustin 09/13/10 - 03:36 am
smartie wipe away the tears.

smartie wipe away the tears. The dogs suck. 17-6. Go Gamecocks!

smec29
smec29 09/13/10 - 06:50 am
Spurrier is a nut!

Spurrier is a nut!

csrareader
csrareader 09/13/10 - 09:35 am
Saturday was a day for USC to

Saturday was a day for USC to shine, and I give them and their fans credit. Dawgs will rebuild. If the Dawgs don't make it to Atlanta in December, I wish the Shamecocks well. I would rather see them as conference champions than the Gators. However, a lot of football remains to be played and we'll see what happens the rest of the year.

zcock
zcock 09/13/10 - 10:20 am
csrareader, I can't

csrareader, I can't understand why you have to keep calling us "shamecocks". So with that said - I have a question for you. Why is it that the "LEG HUMPER" fans LIKE YOU(see I know that all are not like you. Some actually know when the better team won - and can admit so with respect. Those fans I can call Georgia Bulldog fans.), need to say that JawJaw needs to rebuild this year? They look like a pretty good team that got there arses handed to them saturday! So they need to rebuild because the Gamecocks beat you? You and the rest of the JawJaw fans are so freaking arrogant! I am so glad that we kicked your precious little puppies around up there in Columbia. In the last 10 years the record is 6 and 4 in favor of UGA. What is your record in the last 10 years against the Gators? Hmmmm? And... on top of that! In the Mark Richt era we are the only team to keep the "Leg Humpers" from scoring a TD in 3 games. Take some advice and pull for your team. Mark Richt is a stand up guy and could use some support this year. You guys do have a good ball club if you took the time to watch the game. At least your coach knows how to lose gracefully and show some respect. You sure as heck don't. Just sayin' .... Peace "Leg Humper"

csrareader
csrareader 09/13/10 - 10:29 am
zcock, wow. I don't know

zcock, wow. I don't know where to start so I won't -- no maybe I will. In case you missed my intention, the Shamecocks WERE the better team Saturday and deserve all the credit. We "leg humpers," understand that yes, we have to rebuild when we don't score more than 6 points and no TDs in a game. If you think we're arrogant, that's only because the overall record against USC (and I won't even use the numbers out of respect for your win Saturday) are OVERWHELMINGLY in UGA's favor. Again, good luck to the Shamecocks the rest of the year.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/13/10 - 10:50 am
Looks like we need an obama

Looks like we need an obama "Beerfest".

csrareader
csrareader 09/13/10 - 10:53 am
zcock -- I changed my mind.

zcock -- I changed my mind. I will use the numbers of the overall series record. 46-15-2 in favor of the leg humpers. That makes me realize that I should have been more arrogant. The Shamecocks won this year but I'm not too worried unless it happens again next year. Otherwise, it's just an anomaly (look up the word).

zcock
zcock 09/13/10 - 11:13 am
Live in the past all you want

Live in the past all you want to. I know the overall record quite well. However, that does not matter today. When you say that you have to rebuild because your team didn't score a TD... it might be because your team was being defended by one heck of a defense coached by one of the best DC's in college. Ellis Johnson. Your lack of respect of us and your lack of knowledge of your own team comes into question because you stated that UGA must rebuild because you lost to the little ole gamecocks. If you did not know it already I will inform you... This IS your rebuilding year. (But UGA does not rebuild... they restock) When Stafford left for the pros it left UGA with a untested QB last year. Albeit the Senior did OK... the defense really left you down last year. That was fixed this year with a new DC. Therefore you could not really rebuild nothing last year. Richt had to wait until this year to start the rebuild process with a new field general. Note this... AM will be, if not better than Green, a great player for UGA. He showed a lot of promise during the game. I have a lot of respect for MR and UGA. Just hate to see all the fans acting so arrogant all the time.

Plumone
Plumone 09/13/10 - 11:21 am
Hey, what happen to being a

Hey, what happen to being a good sport. The best team won Saturday,Period! Being a long time GA fan, Lattimore handed it to us all day long and we did not have an answer. He is one tuff running back. If he stays healthy, and Spurrier can keep His QB from making bad decisions, they may just end up in Atlanta. We played a sorry game the first half on defense, the offence was never in the game. We went to a tuff place to play with no swagger. This is the SEC, you must play smart and tuff to win. the dawgs were out played end of story.

zcock
zcock 09/13/10 - 11:30 am
zcock -- I changed my mind. I

I don't need to look it up. That was not one at all.

Like I say... live in the past all you want to. All you got is a Sugar Bowl victory quite a few years ago. We are going to continue to get better.

arrogant (ˈærəɡənt)

— adj
having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc; conceited; overbearingly proud: an arrogant UGA fan ; an arrogant ASSumption

zcock
zcock 09/13/10 - 11:33 am
Thanks for the rational post

Thanks for the rational post "Plumone" You are a true UGA fan. Believe it or not. I myself will pull for the bulldogs from here on out. Always have and always will.

csrareader
csrareader 09/13/10 - 12:11 pm
"because you stated that UGA

"because you stated that UGA must rebuild because you lost to the little ole gamecocks."

Actually you are correct. We don't have to rebuild yet. If this repeats itself next year, then we do have to rebuild. As it stands, I'll take this for what it is. USC had the better team Saturday, and that is an anomaly. History doesn't lie.

csrareader
csrareader 09/13/10 - 12:23 pm
arrogant (ˈærəɡənt) —

arrogant (ˈærəɡənt) — adj
having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc; conceited; overbearingly proud: an UGA fan that has grown accustomed to pounding the Shamecocks repeatedly year after year but understands that even a blind rooster finds the chicken feed every now and then.

CarlA
CarlA 09/13/10 - 01:40 pm
I attended the game at

I attended the game at Williams-Brice and sat behind the UGA bench. That was no anomaly! It was obvious the Georgia coaching staff had no answers and were frustrated all day long!

CarlA
CarlA 09/13/10 - 01:44 pm
Oh and by the way. I thought

Oh and by the way. I thought your new defensive coordinator was gonna be different from Willie? Ryan Mallett may have a huge day next Saturday!

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/13/10 - 03:15 pm
CarlA, USC scored 3 points in

CarlA, USC scored 3 points in the 2nd half. Quit trolling.

KSL
KSL 09/13/10 - 03:39 pm
Only 3 points, but they did a

Only 3 points, but they did a good bit of clock burning.

KSL
KSL 09/13/10 - 03:44 pm
I can remember when Florida

I can remember when Florida State and Clemson struggled on the football field. I don't know why csrareader thinks USC can't build to a top SEC team.

It takes smart coaching, good conditioning, and great recruiting.

crackerjack
crackerjack 09/13/10 - 06:02 pm
Gooooooooooooooooo.....GAMECO

Gooooooooooooooooo.....GAMECOCKS! I only hate it for Mark Richt, as he is a class act. And even though I'm a Gamecock Fan, he's my favorite coach these days.

csrareader
csrareader 09/13/10 - 06:10 pm
KSL, I'm not sure that I

KSL, I'm not sure that I would use Florida State and Clemson as examples of power football teams. As for USC, I'm not saying they can't build a top SEC team. However, I have seen no evidence based on history.

csrareader
csrareader 09/13/10 - 06:21 pm
Allright, enough of this

Allright, enough of this foolishness about the Shamecocks "earning respect." Here is their record against SEC teams, right from their media guide:
Alabama (2-12-0), Arkansas (7-11-0), Auburn (1-6-1), Florida (4-23-3), Georgia (15-46-2), Kentucky (14-6-1), LSU (2-16-1), Mississippi (7-8-0), Mississippi State (7-6-0), Tennessee (4-22-2), and Vanderbilt (15-4-0).
The bottom line: Stop thinking you have arrived as a power in the SEC. You're not there yet!

KSL
KSL 09/13/10 - 06:22 pm
Depends on which decade you

Depends on which decade you are speaking of.

KSL
KSL 09/13/10 - 06:26 pm
All right, you are getting on

All right, you are getting on my last nerve. Point to where I have stated the Gamecocks have arrived. You may have me confused.

I just take issue with the Georgia idiots who have time and time again stated that USC could not compete in the SEC, and not just in football.

KSL
KSL 09/13/10 - 06:56 pm
You really are upset about

You really are upset about the loss to the Gamecocks, aren't you?

KSL
KSL 09/13/10 - 07:06 pm
I'm really sorry for you, if

I'm really sorry for you, if that's the case. I remember when I was a small child. I started going to Georgia games when I was a two year old. The highlight for me as a two year old was the train going by.

I was mortally embarrassed when Butts got caught on that phone call.

Quite loyal to UGA, as I had been a small child when my dad finished law school. Very proud to later learn that we had lived in Athens an extra year because my dad was invited to teach in the law school because he had graduated from the law school at Georgia with the highest GPA in their history. No doubt, he was one of the most brilliant people I have encountered, second to my mother, who was also a graduate of UGA.

However, when I got hooked up with my future husband who was attending a rival school, I found out how truly obnoxious some UGA fans can be, some few members of my family included, but all of whom have totally mellowed out.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...