Richt not worried about job status

ATHENS, Ga. --- Some variation of the question has been popping up all over the blogosphere recently.

What impact will Damon Evans' departure as Georgia's athletic director have on Mark Richt's future as football coach?

Richt said Wednesday -- in his first public comments since Evans' DUI arrest on June 30 and resignation four days later -- that it's not something he has given much thought.

"I don't worry about those things. I really don't," Richt said. "My focus is to do my job and my focus is to be obedient to my Lord and Savior. That's kind of what I do. If that's good enough, great."

Evans had quelled speculation at the Southeastern Conference meetings in June that Richt is on the proverbial "hot seat," as some had suggested after an 8-5 season.

"There's no need for that because he's not on a hot seat," Evans said then. "Mark is in a good place with us and I'm glad he's here."

Richt is still at Georgia, 90-27 entering his 10th season, but now Evans is out of his job following his arrest in Atlanta last week and the subsequent fallout, which led to his resignation.

Georgia president Michael Adams said Tuesday that he and a search committee might not have a new athletic director in place for 6-12 months.

Frank Crumley, No. 2 in the department under Evans, is the interim athletic director.

Asked if he has the authority to make calls on the hiring and firing of head coaches, Crumley said, "I asked the question and I will lean heavily on Dr. Adams and his senior administrators. The day-to-day smaller issues we'll go about our own business, but anything out of that, I will lean heavily."

Richt said he was on vacation when he received word last Thursday of Evans' arrest.

"I do feel for Damon and his family," Richt said. "I've been working with Damon for almost 10 years now and had a very good working relationship with Damon and a personal relationship, too, with him and his family. I'm definitely sad for everyone in that regard."

Richt said he hasn't talked to Evans, but has exchanged voice mails with him in the past week.

"We're just going to go on with life and take care of business," Richt said. "I know our football staff and our football team, I think everyone was saddened by the news of losing Damon because he's done a bunch of wonderful things at Georgia and he's been an outstanding athletic director, but we all know we've got a job to do and an exciting season ahead of us.

"Having Frank Crumley as the interim AD now definitely makes the most sense. Frank is a very, very sharp guy."

Richt said he has confidence in Adams' ability to attract a top-notch athletic director, one "that will get the job done and get the job done well. I know that Georgia is one of the finest universities in this country.

"Our athletic program has got to be one of the top five in America, in my opinion. I would think it's a job that a lot of people would be interested in, a lot of quality people."

Reach Marc Weiszer at marc.weiszer@morris.com.

FaceTheMusic
FaceTheMusic 07/08/10 - 07:51 am
Being "obedient to his Lord

Being "obedient to his Lord and Savior" won't keep him as football coach at UGA if he doesn't win football games.

justthefacts
20387
justthefacts 07/08/10 - 08:01 am
Really? Good in-depth

Really? Good in-depth commenting there!

bone1
bone1 07/08/10 - 08:05 am
yeah, richt definitely needs

yeah, richt definitely needs to put something together soon to quiet the critics.

justthefacts
20387
justthefacts 07/08/10 - 08:35 am
Yeah, it's been two years

Yeah, it's been two years since they ended the season ranked #2 in the country.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 07/08/10 - 11:19 am
Damon Evans departure should

Damon Evans departure should have no impact on Richt's coaching career at UGA. Evans resigned under a cloud of disgrace and controversy. He was well liked, and did a good job. What was done, he did to himself. He should have stood up and took it like a man, which is what he intended to do if he had got to where he was going with this young lady. That aside, if any new AD comes in with an agenda of his own, he also should be dealt with immediately. No head coach should have to deal with politics in his job.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/08/10 - 01:47 pm
If Richt thinks the UGA

If Richt thinks the UGA athletic programs are in the top 5 in the nation then he is delusional. One only needs to look at that horrendous and embarrassing Stegeman Coliseum to know UGA isn't a top program.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 07/08/10 - 02:32 pm
WOW - The coliseum isnt up to

WOW - The coliseum isnt up to snuff? Disregard the Athletic Programs and focus on the Gym. Sweet.

justthefacts
20387
justthefacts 07/08/10 - 02:59 pm
#2 in profitability in the

#2 in profitability in the country behind Texas. However, I agree with baron in that a new coliseum is needed. If only Tubby had stayed.

justthefacts
20387
justthefacts 07/08/10 - 03:02 pm
The last rankings I could

The last rankings I could find was in Sports Illustrated for 08. UGA was tied for 4th with UNC behind Arizona State, Stanford, and UCLA.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/08/10 - 03:05 pm
Well lets see......top sport

Well lets see......top sport is football. UGA hasn't won or played for a NC in 3 decades. #2 sport is basketball and well....that needs no explanation. #3 sport is baseball and I don't see UGA in Omaha very often. #4 sport is probably women's basketball and UGA isn't bad. So unless you get all giddy about gymnastics then I don't see a top 5 athletic program.

justthefacts
20387
justthefacts 07/08/10 - 03:36 pm
baron, you are certainly

baron, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

wlightnin42
wlightnin42 07/09/10 - 01:42 pm
It is top 5 Athletic Program,

It is top 5 Athletic Program, Not top 5 in the top 3 sports. Maybe someone should read a little better(baron) Hate to tell you but UGA left Omaha just a few years ago. So who you got in the top Genius?