Four Clemson football players suspended for season opener at Georgia

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:46 PM
Last updated 10:38 PM

Four Clemson football players have been suspended for the season opener at Georgia on Aug. 30, the school announced Tuesday.

David Beasley, Shaq Anthony, Garry Peters and Corey Crawford will miss the game because of a violation of team rules, coach Dabo Swinney said.

“I am disappointed to announce that these young men will miss the 2014 opener at Georgia,” Swinney said. “A huge part of our program is teaching accountability, responsibility and that there are consequences for your actions. These are four good young men, but they broke a team rule and as a result, they will each miss a game. I am hopeful that they will learn and grow from this and have a great 2014 season on and off the field.”

Crawford, a defensive end, and Beasley, an offensive guard, were starters for the Tigers in 2013. Peters, a defensive back, and Anthony, an offensive tackle, were key reserves.

Swinney said there were no arrests involved in the situations that led to the suspensions.

“They’re not criminals or anything like that,” Swinney said. “These four guys could come babysit my kids tonight. When you’ve got 120 young people, things are going to happen sometimes, and discipline comes with the territory and is part of my job.

“I’d rather lose every game and get fired doing things right than to cut corners to win,” he said.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/04/14 - 04:34 pm
Good for Dabo!! Let's see

Good for Dabo!! Let's see how long it takes for people to say he doesn't have control of his team. Now before anyone thinks Dabo is all alone in trying to teach morals and character, remember that Coach Richt is also one of the good guy coaches. And before Georgia fans get too giddy over Clemson's misfortune, there's a loooong offseason ahead...long enough for the Dawgs to lose a few players as well to suspension.

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/04/14 - 05:09 pm
JMO

UGA has already suspended 2 (1 of them kicked off the team).

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/04/14 - 06:53 pm
Now, if the remaining

Now, if the remaining eligible Clemson players tie one arm behind their backs it will be a fair fight.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/04/14 - 07:04 pm
justthefacts, yeah, I'm

justthefacts, yeah, I'm aware. I kinda sorta keep up with the Dawgs. Thanks though...there's alot of folks who didn't know.
Giants?...blah, blah, blabiddy, blah! LOL!!

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 03/05/14 - 07:48 am
Quote of the day

“I’d rather lose every game and get fired doing things right than to cut corners to win" Dabo Swinney

This is why I'd take a Coach Swinney over a Coach Sabin any day. A "win at all costs" mentality is what is screwing up our nation's youth. It's refreshing that Dabo talks the talk and walks the walk. Oh yeah, Go Tigers! Beat the Pups! (it's never too early to talk football trash)

Darby
Darby 03/05/14 - 11:48 am
"Now, if the remaining eligible Clemson players

tie one arm behind their backs it will be a fair fight."

Now, somebody put GAD's prediction (trash talk) on your fall calendar for review at the proper time.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs