Tennessee. The Volunteers notched a signature win under first-year coach Butch Jones by defeating No. 10 South Carolina. Now the easy part. Tennessee plays at No. 1 Alabama, at No. 5 Missouri and at home against No. 11 Auburn the next three Saturdays.
Clemson. If getting blown out at home wasn’t bad enough, Tigers coach Dabo Swinney said at his weekly press conference Tuesday if Clemson and Florida State played 10 times each team would probably win five games. Did he watch Saturday’s game?
To avoid all these flags on shoulder-to-shoulder hits and whatever referees deem a penalty, the NCAA should institute a new rule outlawing hits where players lead with their head or shoulder.
Flag football, anyone?
DON’T STOP ’TIL YOU GET ENOUGH
Ohio State’s Marching Band performed another brilliant halftime show this past weekend, honoring Michael Jackson.
If you’ve got a spare 11 minutes, check it out on YouTube.
RANKING THE BIG FOUR
1. Georgia Tech (4-3, 3-2). The only local major college team that didn’t lose Saturday. Why not rank the Yellow Jackets first for a week?
2. Clemson (6-1, 4-1 Atlantic Coast Conference). The Tigers are still in line for a BCS bowl if they win out.
3. South Carolina (5-2, 3-2 Southeastern Conference. The Gamecocks can still make it to the SEC Championship, but a win this weekend is a must.
4. Georgia (4-3, 3-2 SEC). You get the feeling the Bulldogs are never going to contend for another league title, much less national championship, with the current coaching staff.
• Georgia Tech at Virginia, 12:30 p.m. (Fox-Ch. 54)
• Clemson at Maryland, 3:30 p.m. (ESPN)
• Georgia Southern at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m. (No TV)
• S.C. State at Bethune-Cookman, 4 p.m. (No TV)
• South Carolina at Missouri, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
THIS WEEK’S STORYLINES
Clemson: Just a two-touchdown favorite on the road, the Tigers have plenty to prove.
Georgia: Bulldogs should be working solely on special teams during the off week.
Georgia Tech: Offense should have an easy time against the Cavaliers’ defense.
South Carolina: Gamecocks have at least three fellow SEC East teams pulling for them Saturday.