Florida. The Gators are sitting in the prime spot should Notre Dame slip up at Southern Cal. If the Irish lose and Florida beats Florida State, the Gators would climb to No. 3 in the BCS standings and play the Alabama-Georgia winner (assuming those teams take care of business this week) for the title.
Kansas State. Losing is all about timing, and the Wildcats lost at the wrong time and have no shot at winning a national title.
THE FINAL COUNTDOWN?
Twinkies are dead and Georgia Tech is still alive for the Atlantic Coast Conference title and a BCS bowl berth. Somewhere, the Mayans are laughing.
AS FOR THE MAYAN PROPHECY …
Noted football powers Maryland and Rutgers are headed to the 12-team Big Ten, making it the Big 14. Will they have to rename the “Leaders” and “Legends” divisions to allow in the Scarlet Knights and Terrapins?
RANKING THE BIG FOUR
1. Georgia (10-1, 7-1 Southeastern Conference). Two wins and a national championship rematch with Notre Dame is akin to visions of sugar plums dancing in the Bulldogs’ heads.
2. Clemson (10-1, 7-1 Atlantic Coast Conference). The Tigers’ only sin was playing in the wrong division.
3. South Carolina (9-2, 6-2 SEC). The Gamecocks are likely headed to another Outback Bowl appearance, but a win this week could upgrade their chances.
4. Georgia Tech (6-5, 5-3 ACC). The Yellow Jackets are enjoying their early Hanukkah gift from Miami. Mazel Tov!
• Georgia Tech at Georgia, noon (ESPN)
• South Carolina at Clemson, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
THIS WEEK’S STORYLINES
Clemson: The Tigers must contain Connor Shaw to have a chance.
Georgia: The Bulldogs cannot afford to overlook their in-state rival.
Georgia Tech: The Jackets champing at the bit to upend Georgia’s national title bid.
South Carolina: The Gamecocks seeking their first four-game winning streak against Clemson.