West Virginia routs Clemson

West Virginia 70, Clemson 33

MIAMI — West Virginia’s Darwin Cook snuffed out a potential Clemson touchdown, created a turnover and ran into the Orange Bowl record books.

Back | Next
West Virginia wide receiver Stedman Bailey scores on a 6-yard touchdown pass from QB Geno Smith early in the third quarter. It gave the Mountaineers a 56-20 lead. Smith tossed six touchdown passes in the victory.  ANDREW INNERARITY/REUTERS
ANDREW INNERARITY/REUTERS

All on the same play, no less.

In a record-setting night for West Virginia’s offense, a Mountaineers defender stole the show in a 70-33 victory over Clemson.

The 70 points are a record for any bowl.

On the play, Cook stripped the ball from Clemson’s Andre Ellington near the goal line, turned and ran 99 yards for the touchdown.

Cook’s play turned the game’s momentum around for good. Instead of Clemson going up 24-21 if Ellington had scored, West Virginia took a 28-17 lead.

It helped West Virginia take a 49-20 lead into halftime.

“We’re not playing well anywhere,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said as he left the field for the first half.

Cook’s touchdown came with Clemson having a first-and-goal from the West Virginia 3.

Ellington followed a mass of blockers toward the goal line, getting so close to breaking the plane that at least two Tigers raised their arms in celebration in the touchdown signal.

Cook grabbed the ball away from Ellington and took off on what became the longest defensive score in Orange Bowl history, a yard longer than Greg Mather’s 98-yard fumble return for Navy in 1961.

West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith threw six touchdown passes – four of them to Tavon Austin. Both marks tied a record for any bowl.

Smith also ran for another score for the Mountaineers, who won their third Bowl Championship Series game in seven seasons.

Smith hit 31 of 42 passes for 401 yards.

Shawne Alston ran for two touchdowns, both in the first half. He led West Virginia with 78 yards on 19 carries.

Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd was 24 for 42 for 250 yards, with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/05/12 - 08:55 am
Clemson has been two

Clemson has been two different teams this year. I was wondering which team was going to show up last night.
I never thought it would be the "GOLF" team.

etlinks
20828
etlinks 01/05/12 - 08:56 am
Sorry R1 about your Tigers

Sorry R1 about your Tigers but I think they drag these bowl games out too long and the guys just lose focus. 2012 should be something special for the Tigers and Gamecocks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/05/12 - 10:52 am
Thanks, Etlinks. I've caught

Thanks, Etlinks. I've caught it from a lot of people here today. From the time I walked into the building someone was laughing at me and asking the score. WV had some team. I think Carolina is going to be a powerhouse next year. If they beat everyone in the east again, people might start giving them the credit they deserve. Clemson should win the ACC again with all those freshmen coming back.

etlinks
20828
etlinks 01/05/12 - 02:34 pm
Yeah my son is pretty down

Yeah my son is pretty down because of the game but I would not rub it in for anything. He got a great education from Clemson and I'm proud of that accomplishment. Can't wait for the season to start.

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 01/05/12 - 03:54 pm
You are not as good as your

You are not as good as your best game and not as bad as your worst game. The obvious turning point was the ball strip and return for a touchdown. These teams could play again ten times and split no more than 6-4 either way.

avidreader
avidreader 01/05/12 - 06:21 pm
Except for a few Clemson

Except for a few Clemson insiders, is anyone going to lose sleep over this? Football fans are so boring; you need to get a life. It's all about money, and I'm sure Clemson isn't losing any revenue. As long as their coach keeps bringing in the cash, he'll be OK. Do the tailgate ribs taste better when Clemson wins? Of course not. You ate them two hours before game time. You're dripping BBQ sauce while you complain, or while you rejoice. It's all so silly! Like little girls at a tea party. Rip the IPTAY sticker off of your car bumper and GET A LIFE!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/05/12 - 09:01 pm
TAKE IT BACK avidreader!!!!!

TAKE IT BACK avidreader!!!!! hehehehe
Actually I love the Tigers and Gamecocks but I refuse to get upset when they lose.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/05/12 - 10:35 pm
I had nightmares last night

I had nightmares last night after that game the little I was able to sleep. I had to get up very early today and I hurt all day. I dreamed of WV players just running over Clemson. The game was bizarre and bitter.

College football DOES get to me. I totally understand Lewis Grizzard having his ashes spread over Sanford Stadium and running an ad to find a wife that said, "Wanted former SEC cheerleader for possible marriage. No Vanderbilties need apply."

But once I get over that game, I'll think back over the year. It was good for ACC champion, Clemson, USC and UGA. I will think about every game all spring and summer. If I had to give up sex or college football, I wouldn't make a decision too fast.

KSL
KSL 01/05/12 - 10:47 pm
Our 2 local acc teams didn't

Our 2 local acc teams didn't look great in their bowl games.