Scott Michaux

Sports columnist for The Augusta Chronicle. | ScottMichaux.com

South Carolina will be best among 'Big Four'

Not in a long time has a college football season in these parts dawned with more delicious possibilities and perils.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier led his team to the SEC title game last year before losing to Auburn.  Expectations in Columbia are justifiably high again.  RAINIER EHRHARDT/FILE
RAINIER EHRHARDT/FILE
South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier led his team to the SEC title game last year before losing to Auburn. Expectations in Columbia are justifiably high again.

Championships, jobs and reputations are at stake at every one of our Big Four programs. We could have most of our answers before the end of September.

Georgia’s plate will be set with consecutive games to start against Boise State and South Carolina.

South Carolina’s championship capability will be measured quickly in Athens, Ga., and with a home rematch against defending national champion Auburn on Oct. 1.

Clemson’s viability as a national player and conference contender will be established by back-to-back home tests against Auburn and Florida State before traveling to its first road game at Virginia Tech.

It won’t take long for the howling aggravation or the bowling aspirations to take shape. The only team that really doesn’t give us any reason to take notice until October is Georgia Tech, which could be 4-0 by then without breaking much of a sweat or restoring Paul Johnson’s luster.

Since opinions are free, here’s one stab at what might be in store for the Big Four in 2011.

SOUTH CAROLINA: 11-1

For the first time in history, the reality might actually mesh with the expectations of Gamecock nation. The grandeur no longer seems delusional at Williams-Brice Stadium.

The Gamecocks are poised to repeat as SEC East champs and this time should be competitive in the conference championship game. A BCS bowl berth and perhaps a national title quest are reasonable prospects.

While humbling setbacks in the postseason games at the Georgia Dome against Auburn and Florida State tempered the jubilation of 2010’s breakthrough season, those losses should fuel the hunger of a roster stacked with stars.

Marcus Lattimore became an instant game-changing factor at running back and Alshon Jeffery is now the SEC’s most elite game-breaking receiver. Assuming quarterback Stephen Garcia doesn’t do something stupid to warrant a sixth suspension that might actually make him miss a game, the offense should roll.

The defense, however, is what makes the Gamecocks championship material. The defensive front is loaded with guys like Devin Taylor, Travian Robertson and Melvin Ingram – and that’s before adding the nation’s most sought recruit Jadaveon Clowney to the mix. All-conference cornerback Stephon Gilmore should excel even more with opposing QBs under constant pressure.

Some have predicted the Gamecocks to run the table, but this is the SEC and South Carolina after all. One of the tough road tests at Mississippi State or Arkansas should trip them up.

GEORGIA: 10-2

Assuming all the oxygen doesn’t get sucked out of the air if Georgia is unable to win at least one of the first two games against opponents harboring national title hopes, this should be a big rebound year for Mark Richt and the Bulldogs.

Another nice recruiting class and perceived strength and conditioning improvements have quieted the masses growing weary of being ordinary (or worse), but only results will matter in the end.

Aaron Murray is the best quarterback in the league (Garcia isn’t even close), but the weapons around him aren’t as proven. Depth is a big issue everywhere on offense, but especially at tailback where freshman Isaiah Crowell needs to steps in like Lattimore did for the Gamecocks last year. If everybody stays healthy, the offense should be fine.

The biggest reason for optimism is the defense, which let down at key moments too often in a season with so many losses of a touchdown or less. Kwame Geathers and Jonathan Jenkins will anchor the nose of the 3-4 defense and Southern California transfer Jarvis Jones at linebacker are among the playmakers who have energized a defense that hasn’t been itself for a few years.

With veteran specialists and plenty of talent on the roster, the Bulldogs could run the table even if they stumble at the gruelling start. The toughest games are between the hedges and the secondary motivation to keep Richt around will win out in the end.

CLEMSON: 7-5

After the guillotine was brought out and displayed at the end of last season, Dabo Swinney has had a pretty tremendous off-season. Another top-10 recruiting class filled with marquee talent has calmed the calls for his head.

Perhaps the most important acquisition, however, wasn’t a player but an offensive coordinator. Chad Morris comes to Clemson from Tulsa and brings with him an offensive system that compiled 505 yards and 41 points per game last year for the Golden Hurricane. For an offensively underachieving program like the Tigers, that’s encouraging.

However, Morris will have to work with raw quarterback Tajh Boyd, another in the line of promising players at a position that tends to disappoint the high expectations of the Tiger faithful. He’ll have weapons Andre Ellington and DeAndre Hopkins to work with, so the upside is high.

While Clemson’s stout defense lost superstar end Da’Quan Bowers, the infusion of stub linebackers Stephone Anthony and Tony Steward ought to continue limiting the opposition.

The biggest issue for Clemson, however, is the schedule. Those early games against Auburn and Florida State, road tests at Virginia Tech, Maryland, Georgia Tech and N.C. State and the finale against South Carolina are daunting. With a recent history of disappointment, the safe bet is the Tigers would be lucky to win four of those seven games. My bet is they win two and a new coach takes the reins in 2012.

GEORGIA TECH: 6-6

Last year’s 6-7 campaign was only the second losing mark in 14 years as a head coach for Paul Johnson. Going back-to-back would be a tough setback for the program and a possibility if the Jackets eke into a 15th consecutive bowl game.

The key, as usual, will ride on quarterbacks running Johnson’s triple option. Tevin Washington, who started the final four games last season, will get the nod but might share the role with freshmen backups Synjyn Days and Vad Lee. While they might have the coolest set of names for any QB corps, how cool they’ll be under pressure is to be determined.

Considering Washington only completed 41 percent of his passes last year, a new rushing star will need to emerge to try to sustain the streak of four consecutive 1,300-yard rushers. One of the candidates is yet another quarterback, David Sims, who made the position switch and is challenging for the starting job.

The Jackets are certain to gain plenty of yards rushing, but a young defense has a lot to prove. Johnson’s program has surprised everyone before, but 2011 shows all the signs of being modest at best. Not a great statement in his fourth season at the helm.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/28/11 - 09:29 am
What a gut checking season

What a gut checking season this will be. If Carolina call pull this off it will be the biggest story since Clemson won the national championship in '81.

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 09:32 am
What is the worth of

What is the worth of predictions?

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/11 - 09:47 am
Nice projections. Probably a

Nice projections. Probably a little high on USC and low on Clemson. You should have listed it game by game.

allhans
allhans 08/28/11 - 06:27 pm
Pulling for you coach. Once

Pulling for you coach.
Once my (in my mind) worst enemy when you QB'd for FSU, now I respect your
style. Good luck to you and your team.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/11 - 08:25 pm
allhans, "QB'ed for FSU",

allhans, "QB'ed for FSU", huh?

dickworth1
dickworth1 08/28/11 - 08:36 pm
Watch out for a wild man

Watch out for a wild man throwing a visor with a chicken on it! You
got to be kidding about a national championship for those birds in Columbia!!! By the way, Spurrier played for the Gators' not the seminoles. Ga. 24---SC 10

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 08:43 pm
Grow up, y'all. It's just a

Grow up, y'all. It's just a football game. It's fun to go to. That's it!

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/11 - 08:47 pm
Who pulled your string?

Who pulled your string?

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 08:55 pm
I am the daughter of Georgia

I am the daughter of Georgia grads. My mother and my father from the Law School. I was a post ww2 baby. So I attended UGA after he came back and graduated from his Ivy League college. I attended as a small child. I was there while he was going through law school. I was there the year he headed up the the Review, you know, the same one Obama supposedly headed up at Harvard. Oh, I forgot to tell you, my dad got into Harvard law school but chose UGA instead. He had been Ivy League educated all the way. Had always gone to private schools in NY. Imagine that.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/11 - 08:57 pm
So?

So?

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 08:58 pm
Durn, back then Georgia

Durn, back then Georgia sucked as a team. I remember going as a 3 year old.

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 08:59 pm
My point, jtf, is that it is

My point, jtf, is that it is just a game. That is all.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/11 - 09:02 pm
Yes, and people are free to

Yes, and people are free to talk about it as much as they would like. If you don't like it, ignore it.

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 09:04 pm
I can remember being

I can remember being embarrassed to be a Georgia fan when I was in grammar school. They were horrible. But I was still a Georgia fan, none the less.

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 09:07 pm
jtf, we usually agree. Guess

jtf, we usually agree. Guess we can' agree on the GA football issue. I don't want to get into a disagreement with you.

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 09:11 pm
I admit bias. I married a GT

I admit bias. I married a GT grad. Had so much fun during college at GT. Love his frat house and homecoming there. Doesn't matter that UGA has had a much better record over those years football wise. Doesn't matter at all. He makes a great living.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/11 - 09:11 pm
Haven't you claimed to be a

Haven't you claimed to be a USC and a GT fan in the past?

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 09:13 pm
Absolutely. With excellent

Absolutely. With excellent reason.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/11 - 09:16 pm
Yes, you've told us all. Good

Yes, you've told us all. Good night.

KSL
KSL 08/28/11 - 09:31 pm
What is your problem, jtf? I

What is your problem, jtf? I don't have one with you. Have that good night. You like UGA. I don't. And the big deal is what? It's just a game. Except, attending a game at UGA in Athens I saw someone attack another person after the game and then run. Now I'm almost 65 years old and have been going to football games since I was 3 years old. I want nothing to do with going to football games in Athens, GA ever again, where I wish I had had the guts to stop the perp who fled the scene after beating up someone. I wanted so much to put my leg out and make him trip. I didn't and he ran by me. I hope he was caught. He was pretty upset since South Carolina had beaten GA. Don't know that that was the reason he beat up someone and then ran away.

Vito45
Vito45 08/29/11 - 12:40 am
KSL, it IS just a game and

KSL, it IS just a game and miscreants/misguided fans abound who support every sports team in the world. I'm sorry you witnessed what you did at the Ga game, but unfortunately that goes on everywhere. Not the way I want to see people behave but that is the society we live in now. Heck, me and a buddy almost had to fight our way out of a Butler High Scool game in the late 70's. Fortunately, I was sane enough to walk away and drag my friend with me.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/29/11 - 04:50 am
I have to admit, I had a

I have to admit, I had a horrible experience at a Georgia game myself. We were leaving the game and we saw a drunken fan, passed out on the side of the lawn. Some other drunken fans came up and...are you ready for this?...began urinating on him! Oh, and forget to mention that the fan on the ground was a Georgia Tech fan, and the other fans were also Georgia Tech fans! Happened at the 1997 game, up in Atlanta. So bad things do happen for every school's fans, not just Georgia. Saw a drunk Carolina fan throw a hotdog at an old lady once, in Columbia. I could go on.

augustadog
augustadog 08/29/11 - 07:39 am
11-1, are you kidding me?

11-1, are you kidding me? That is laughable. South Carolina will definitely have a good team and on paper should beat a rebuilding UGA team, but no way will beat the SEC West in the Dome, if they get there, much less a National Championship! Get real.

wlightnin42
wlightnin42 09/01/11 - 04:13 pm
No Chance USC will finish

No Chance USC will finish 11-1, They will choke at the end of the season just like they do every year.

Commission to discuss administrator position

Two significant city appointments return to the forefront at a regular Tuesday meeting of the Augusta Commission. Commissioner Ben Hasan, just appointed to the District 6 commission seat last ...