No need to change 'Braves' name, Atlanta mayor says

Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 7:40 AM
Last updated 7:32 PM

ATLANTA — Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed says he thinks the Atlanta Braves name should be kept, and that he has friends who are American Indians and they haven’t objected to it.

Reed made the comments in an interview with WXIA-TV. He was asked about the name of the city’s major league baseball team after Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder defended the name of his NFL team.

The Redskins have faced criticism from some Indians and others who say the term is disparaging to Native Americans. In a letter to fans this week, Snyder said the name Redskins was and continues to be a “badge of honor.”

Regarding the Braves name, Reed said he has a number of friends who are Indians and “they haven’t shared any offense with me about it.”

David Parker
David Parker 10/11/13 - 07:02 am
What's derogatory about

What's derogatory about calling someone brave or referring to our team as The Braves? Suggests courage and respect from what I've always understood.

Pops
12073
Pops 10/11/13 - 07:13 am
This country

should be renamed The United States of The Offended.

BamaMan
BamaMan 10/11/13 - 07:44 am
name change??

I don't understand why people would be offended by anything good being named after them? Why wouldn't they feel HONORED?? This goes for the other comment made by the president this week. Maybe it's just something to get people stirred up and angry with each other and cause dissention? I agree, this is a nation of being offended.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/13 - 08:44 am
Change change

That is what happens when every dang thing else gets a name change..
bridge--street--building--civic centers....duh duh duh

We brought this madness on ourselves...the Offended USA...duh

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 10/11/13 - 11:12 am
How!

How!

Jake
Jake 10/11/13 - 11:23 am
Chanting

If anything gets changed it should be that asinine "Tomahawk Chop". Send it back to Florida State where it belongs. That chant has been the background noise of so many Braves' failures in postseason that I can't stand it anymore. There must be a curse associated with it.

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 10/11/13 - 12:15 pm
Hate is a horrible word. I

Hate is a horrible word. I HATE the politically correct mindset. In case you missed it, I HATE the politically correct mindset. I'm offended that they are offended so there.
Pops, I agree 100%. But then, someone has a religion or something with offended in it, so they would be offended.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/11/13 - 03:09 pm
If the Redskins

and Braves nicknames are changed, they should change the democratic party's name to low down, no good m#*%^#@*_+!@s.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/12/13 - 07:10 am
Braves could be referencing

Braves could be referencing courage rather than a generic reference to an indian. Braves doesn't reflect on any particular tribe-it is generic.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/12/13 - 09:57 am
Oh no I know the "Fighting

Oh no I know the "Fighting Irish" of Notre Dame are just dying to change their name too. How offensive.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/12/13 - 10:25 am
Bizkit @ 8:10

"Braves could be referencing courage rather than a generic reference to an indian. Braves doesn't reflect on any particular tribe-it is generic"

I never thought about it that way!! If the Braves are ever sued, they can just change their lo-go and claim that it is a reference to being brave!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/12/13 - 10:29 am
Bizkit @ 10:57

"Oh no I know the "Fighting Irish" of Notre Dame are just dying to change their name too. How offensive"

I don't know about that, BUT I believe it to be VERY UNFAIR for The Irish to be televised on NBC almost every Saturday! This has GOT TO BE giving them a very unfair alocation of television revenues!!

Venue change sought in Aiken police slaying

Judge Clifton Newman told attorneys for Stephon Carter that a motion to move the venue or select jurors outside Aiken County was premature. Carter is accused of killing Public Safety Officer ...