Jaguars breeze to road victory
In Pembroke, N.C., Hunter Boose and Ryan Khan drove in three runs each as Georgia Regents pounded UNC Pembroke 14-6 on Saturday in a Peach Belt Conference game.
The Jaguars (19-30, 11-18), who won the series opener 9-8 on Friday, out-hit the Braves 16-7.
Khan, Bradley Dennis and JD Sabo all had three hits. Ross Miles drove in two runs and scored twice. Boose, Khan, Dennis and Jeff Rice also scored twice.
Clint Echols (3-4) earned the win.
• In Aiken, USC Aiken beat Georgia Southwestern 13-4 and 7-4 in a Peach Belt Conference doubleheader.
In the opener, Matt Bosse led the Pacers (34-13, 19-10) with three RBI. Tyler Moore and Dylan Durham had three hits apiece. Moore also scored three runs.
Derek Beasley (6-2) got the win.
In the second game, Sean Miller drove in two runs to lead the Pacers. Bosse had three hits.
Ben Black (6-1) earned the win with 4⅓ innings of scoreless relief.
• In Columbia, Alabama scored a run in the seventh to edge South Carolina 2-1.
The Gamecocks (33-11, 11-9 Southeastern Conference), had won the series opener 9-3 on Friday.
• In Raleigh, N.C., North Carolina State evened its Atlantic Coast Conference series with Georgia Tech with a 1-0 victory.
The Tigers (26-18, 12-11) had won the series opener by the same score Friday.
• In Nashville, Vanderbilt routed Georgia 11-0 to clinch the series.
The Bulldogs (21-21-1, 7-12-1 SEC) lost 12-9 on Friday.
• In Spartanburg, S.C., Wofford held off Georgia Southern 6-4 to take the series from the Eagles (27-18, 9-11 Southern Conference).
Pacers’ regional set for Savannah
The second-ranked USC Aiken golf team will travel to Savannah, Ga., to compete May 5-7 in the NCAA South/Southeast Regional at Savannah Quarters Country Club.
The regional is comprised of 10 teams from the South Region and 10 from the Southeast Region, with seven spots in the Division II Men’s Golf Championships on the line.
USC Aiken is the No. 1 seed from the Southeast Region.
Track and Field
Lions’ McAllister captures a silver
In Rock Hill, S.C. Bria McAllister tied for second in the high jump to earn the first medal for the Paine College women in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championships.
Benedict’s Krishanda Campbell-Brown won with 1.55 meters. McAllister’s jump was 1.52.
Sharapova rolls into title match
In Stuttgart, Germany, two-time defending champion Maria Sharapova cruised past Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2 to reach her third consecutive Porsche Grand Prix final.
Sharapova dominated the 59-minute semifinal and will play Ana Ivanovic in the final. Sharapova extended her winning streak on Stuttgart’s indoor clay to 12 matches.
Ivanovic, looking for her third title of the year, beat Jelena Jankovic 6-3, 7-5 in an all-Serb match.
• In Barcelona, Spain, Santiago Giraldo beat Nicolas Almagro 7-5, 6-3 to reach the Barcelona Open final, as his Spanish rival suffered a letdown after ousting top-ranked Rafael Nadal.
Giraldo will face fourth-seeded Kei Nishikori after he beat Ernests Gulbis 6-2, 6-4 in the other semifinal.
– From staff and wire reports