Carlton Fisk has been waiting almost 40 years for his chance.
The Hall of Fame catcher, who famously waved his fly ball fair for the winning home run in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, threw out a ceremonial first pitch with former Red Sox pitcher Luis Tiant before this year’s sixth game. The Red Sox took a 3-2 lead in the Series into Wednesday night’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Fisk said on Wednesday that he was also scheduled to throw out a ceremonial first pitch at Fenway Park in the 2004 World Series. The Red Sox were saving him for Game 6 that year, but they swept the St. Louis Cardinals in four games to end their 86-year championship drought.
The 62-year-old Fisk batted .269 with 376 regular-season homers in a 22-year career with the Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox, retiring as the all-time leader among catchers for home runs and games played. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000.
HOLDING PATTERN: The Cardinals spent most of their travel day not traveling at all.
The team’s plane sat on the tarmac at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport for about seven hours on Tuesday and didn’t arrive in Boston until about 11 p.m.
Manager Mike Matheny said there was no complaining from his players.
“I can’t tell you how impressed I was with how everybody handled it,” Matheny said before the sixth game.
“We travel a lot, so you kind of anticipate that everything is going to go smooth and it has all season. And you get to this time of year, and things kind of went in a different direction.”
Matheny said players mostly hung out with their families on the plane and joked around with each other.
“Guys were making the best of a situation they knew we didn’t have any control over,” he said. “How that affects us? I don’t think it really does.”
Cardinals pitcher Joe Kelly said that the biggest problem was that when they finally arrived in Boston, they struggled to find a restaurant open for dinner. “Nobody went the room service route because everyone thought every other guy would go the room service route and it would take three hours to get your food,” he said.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said he wasn’t counting on the Cardinals being worn out by the trip.
“We don’t factor that in,” he said. “We’ve had our own issues mechanically on travel before and it doesn’t take away from your preparation. So nothing takes away from our respect and knowing that we’re going up against a very good team.”
Arrested: St. Louis police arrested a social media manager for allegedly making online threats invoking the Boston Marathon bombings as the Red Sox prepared to play the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in the World Series.
A probable cause statements released Tuesday said Robert Metzinger’s former employer at a St. Louis marketing firm alerted police last week to several threatening Twitter posts from an account that has since been disabled. Police say the tweets referenced the April bombings and the use of a pressure cooker.
The probable cause statement did not quote the tweets directly but referred to an “implied threat to use an explosive device in or around the area of Busch Stadium during the upcoming World Series” and listed Metzinger’s work address at an office located eight blocks from the Cardinals’ downtown stadium.
Police Chief Sam Dotson told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he didn’t know if the 31-year-old planned to act on the threats, but he “wasn’t going to take any chances with the safety of the fans and Major League Baseball.”
He’s charged with a misdemeanor offense of making a threat with criminal negligence with regard to the risk of causing evacuation/quarantine/closure of any portion of a building or place of assembly.
Court records don’t list an attorney for Metzinger, who could not be reached for comment Wednesday. He was release on bond and is scheduled to return to court in late November.