● Baseball Scoutz Gold will hold 14U tryouts Aug. 17 for the upcoming season. Players cannot have turned 14 before May 1, 2013. For more information, call Van Dixon at (706) 830-2806.
● Former Chicago White Sox player and Curtis Baptist baseball coach Chico Valdez is holding tryouts for a 9-year-old travel baseball team. Players cannot have turned 10 before May 1. Call Van Dixon at (706) 830-2806 for information.
● Evans Knights Pop Warner registration for football players and cheerleaders is open for those ages 5 to 15 from the following schools: Brookwood Elementary, Evans Elementary, Lewiston Elementary, Westmont Elementary and Evans Middle School. There is a $50 refund to participants who refer five people. Go to www.evanspopwarner.com or call Joe Driscoll at (706) 825-6337.
● Greenbrier Pop Warner youth football and cheer registration is open to boys and girls ages 5 to 14 in the Greenbrier/Riverside school districts. Cost is $155 per child. Register at www.greenbrierpopwarner.com or call Bobby Smock at (706) 829-3818.
● The 20th annual Border Bash Golf Tournament will be held Sept. 6 at The River Golf Club in North Augusta. Cost of the four-man team lauderdale format event is $380. Entry forms are available at The River Golf Club.
● The Second Annual Doug Wilhelm Memorial Golf Tournament will be held Sept. 13 at Aiken Golf Club. Registration will begin at 8 a.m. with tee off scheduled for 9. Cost is $500 for a team of four. A team of four and hole sponsorship is $650. Breakfast, lunch and a light dinner will be provided. A beverage cart will circle the course throughout the tournament and provide beverages at no additional cost. Proceeds from the tournament will benefit The First Tee of Aiken, Aiken Sunrise Rotary and HelpLine of Aiken. For more information, call Nicole Simmons at (803) 507-6201 or Kevin Wilhelm at (803) 634-0157.
● Georgia Regents University and the Augusta GreenJackets will hold the inaugural GRU Run for the GreenJackets at 8 a.m. on Aug. 17. The 5K event, which is a fund-raiser for the GRU cross country teams, will start and finish at Lake Olmstead Stadium. The route will take runners around Lake Olmstead, up part of Laurel Lane, then proceed toward Broad Street back to Milledge Road where runners will finish inside the stadium along the warning track. Cost is $25 plus a $2.50 sign-up fee. Registration ends on Aug. 13 at 11:59 p.m. Entry fee includes a ticket to that night’s GreenJackets game as well as a visor. Post-race refreshments will be provided by Marco’s Pizza, Harbor Seafood Inn and Kroger. You can register online at https://runsignup.com/Race/GA/Augusta/GRUrunfortheGreenJackets. For more information, contact Bill Levy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Adam Ward at email@example.com.
● CSRA Force coach Wayne Wilson is putting together a 12-and-under A class fast-pitch travel softball team for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. For more information about future tryouts, contact Wilson at (706) 564-5357 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact Kirsten Duncan at (678) 796-5797.
● The Georgia Rockers Fastpitch Organization will hold tryouts for the 2013-14 season Aug. 17-18 at Patriots Park. For more information, contact Ike Branch at (706) 373-9581 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
● Greater Augusta Swimming will hold tryouts Aug. 13-15 at the Augusta Aquatics Center. Tryouts for ages 10 and younger will be 5-5:45 p.m. and 6-6:45 for those 11 and older. Attendance all three days is required to ensure a fair opportunity for coaches to help make the correct placement decisions. Call (864) 333-2939 for more information.