Bernard Tomic's father still on the outside at Wimbledon

  • Follow Other sports

LONDON — However long he stays at this year’s Wimbledon championships, Australia’s Bernard Tomic is resigned to playing without his father and coach being there to see him.

Bernard Tomic's father, John, has been banned by the ATP and isn't allowed in Wimbledon.   SANG TAN/ASSOCIATED PRESS
SANG TAN/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Bernard Tomic's father, John, has been banned by the ATP and isn't allowed in Wimbledon.

After defeating James Blake 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 in the second round on Thursday, Tomic said he’s convinced he’ll be on his own at the All England Club.

John Tomic has been denied access after being accused of head-butting his son’s hitting partner during a tournament in Madrid. The father’s trial is set for October.

“I don’t think they’ll be allowing him in, which is OK,” Tomic said. “I’m focusing on my matches. I’m still seeing my dad. He’s still advising me what to do.”

Tomic’s father was denied access at Roland Garros last month, and Wimbledon followed suit, after a decision made by the ATP.

Tomic previously said he would appeal Wimbledon’s decision but the All England Club public relations office said they never received an appeal.

Except for the end of the match, Tomic always seemed in control against Blake.

In the third set, the 20-year-old was serving for the match at 5-4, but played a tentative game and lost serve.

The Australian regrouped and won the next two games, dropping only three points to wrap up the match.

Tomic will next play ninth-seeded Richard Gasquet of France. Gasquet holds a 2-0 lead over Tomic in previous meetings.

“He’s very difficult,” said Tomic.

“He’s a player that I don’t mind playing because I know I’ve lost to him the last two times I played him, but I feel my game suits him pretty well.”

This is Tomic’s fourth appearance at Wimbledon, with his best result being to make the quarterfinals in 2011.

FAST HEALER: Frenchman Michael Llorda quit his singles match Thursday, then went back out on the court to play doubles – yet another odd twist in what has been an unusually injury prone week at Wimbledon.

Llorda cited hamstring problems for forcing him to stop after losing the first set of his match against 23rd-seeded Andreas Seppi of Italy. Later, Llorda played and won his doubles match with partner Nicolas Mahut.

Asked about this unusual turn – it’s common for players to pull out of doubles to focus on singles, but rare to see it done the other way around – Llorda explained, “In singles, it’s too difficult and dangerous for my hamstrings. I prefer not to take any risks to play doubles. Doubles is easier. You play half court.”

Llorda, 33, has five career singles titles and 25 in doubles.

Another Frenchman, Paul-Henri Mathieu, also quit while trailing 6-3, 5-1 against Feliciano Lopez of Spain.


Top headlines

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.
Loading...