We’re down to 16 teams in the NCAA Tournament, and it’ll be down to the final eight after this weekend. Here are 10 of the topics for this weekend’s best-of-three super regionals.
1. WELCOME BACK, COACH: Chad Holbrook’s South Carolina Gamecocks are playing at top-seeded North Carolina, where Holbrook was an outfielder from 1990-93 and an assistant from 1994-2008.
2. GLENN BACK IN GOOD STANDING: Louisiana State starting pitcher Cody Glenn’s teammates voted him back onto the team after he missed a start in regionals because of an undisclosed violation of team rules.
3. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT: Seventh-seeded Florida State is appearing in the super regionals for the sixth year in a row, the longest streak in the nation, and 13th time in 15 years.
4. SAM GOES BAM: Sam Travis is a big reason Indiana is the first Big Ten team since 2007 to reach a super regional.
5. FAMILIAR FOES: Cal State Fullerton and UCLA met twice in the regular season this year, with the Titans winning both meetings.
6. RUNS, NOT STYLE POINTS: Kansas State looks like a team of destiny after it clinched its first Big 12 regular-season championship on a bases-loaded passed ball and advanced to the Super Regionals on a wild pitch.
7. LEADOFF MAN EXTRAORDINAIRE: N.C. State leadoff man Trea Turner goes into the Wolfpack’s super regional against Rice having reached base in 107 of his 114 career games.
8. NOT JUST A TWO-MAN SHOW: Tyler Beede and Kevin Ziomek are Vanderbilt’s 1-2 pitching punch, but don’t forget sophomore lefty Philip Pfeifer. Pfeifer threw five shutout innings in the regional final against Georgia Tech.
9. LATE-GAME DOMINATION: Virginia has outscored its opponents 168-54 in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings this season.
10. BASEBALL-SOFTBALL DOUBLE: Oklahoma is bidding to make it to both the men’s and women’s College World Series in the same season.