Season is over for Jaguar duo
In Tallahassee, Fla., Augusta State’s Maverick Antcliff closed with even-par 72 on Saturday and tied for 19th in the NCAA Tallahassee Regional at Golden Eagle Country Club.
Antcliff, playing in his first season with the Jaguars, finished at 4-under 212 for the tournament. Teammate Alex Wennstam closed with 74 and tied for 49th at 221.
Neither player will advance to the NCAA Championships, as only the top five teams and top individual on a nonadvancing team move on.
The five teams advancing from the regional are North Florida, Washington, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma.
Daniel Walker, of Richmond, advances as an individual.
In the Columbus Regional, South Carolina, which features former North Augusta standout Matt NeSmith and former Westside star Dykes Harbin, tied for second to reach the finals at Capital City Club in Atlanta.
NeSmith shot 3-under 68 to tie for second in the individual standings at the Scarlet Course at Ohio State University. Harbin shot 72 and tied for 43rd.
Georgia tied for second in the Tempe Regional and will also advance.
• In Aiken, Kelby Burton shot 70 to take a three-stroke lead in the championship division of Regions Bank Amateur Series event at Houndslake Country Club.
David Hogan is second after posting 73.
Robert Samuels shot 71 and leads Glen Hurt by one in the senior division.
USC Aiken’s run ends in blowout
In Mount Olive, N.C., third-ranked USC Aiken saw its season come to an end with a 9-2 loss to No. 25 Georgia College in the NCAA Division II Southeast Regional.
Matt Lamothe pitched eight innings, allowing two runs for the Bobcats, who also ousted top-ranked and top-seeded Mount Olive 2-1.
Ty Barkell hit a two-run homer for the Pacers, who finish the season 42-13.
• In Athens, Ga., Jared Walsh, Justin Bryan and Brett DeLoach homered to help Georgia end a rough season on a high note with a 9-2 win over Florida.
The Bulldogs won three out of their final four games and conclude the season 21-32 overall, 7-20 in Southeastern Conference play.
• In Coral Gables, Fla., Daniel Palka hit one of four home runs for Georgia Tech, which romped to a 10-1 win over Miami in its regular-season finale.
Georgia Tech will be the No. 7 seed in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament.
• In Starkville, Miss., Demarcus Henderson was 3 for 3 with two RBI as Mississippi State claimed a 7-2 win over South Carolina.
The Gamecocks will be the No. 4 seed in the SEC Tournament and have a first-round bye.
• In Tallahassee, Fla., Seth Miller had two RBI as Florida State dropped Clemson 6-1.
Clemson will be the No. 5 seed in the ACC Tournament.
Nadal, Federer to meet in final
In Rome, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will renew their rivalry in the Italian Open final today.
In Saturday’s semifinals at the Foro Italico, Federer beat Benoit Paire 7-6 (5), 6-4. Six-time Rome champion Nadal defeated sixth-seeded Tomas Berdych 6-2, 6-4.
On the women’s side, top-ranked Serena Williams will face third-seeded Victoria Azarenka in the final.
Williams knocked off qualifier Simona Halep 6-3, 6-0. Azarenka beat seventh-seeded Sara Errani 6-0, 7-5.