Lions repeat as SIAC champion
Paine College shot 321 in the final round at Jones Creek Golf Club on Tuesday to win the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Golf Classic by 24 shots over Morehouse and repeat as conference champions.
The Lions finished with a two-day total of 643.
Paine’s Carlos Solis claimed medalist honors with a 36-hole total of 150. Teammates Jerrell Hubbard (155) and Victor Tapia (157) were second and third, respectively.
All three were named to the all-tournament team, and Herman Belton was named SIAC Golf Coach of the Year.
• In Ninety Six, S.C., Presbyterian College freshman Davis Parker, of Augusta, shot 74-77-77–228 to tie for 17th place in the Big South Conference Championship at The Patriot Golf Club at Grand Harbor and was named to the conference’s all-freshman team.
The Westside High graduate is the first player in program history to earn the honor.
Presbyterian tied for seventh in the conference championship at 54-over 918, 37 shots behind winner Coastal Carolina. Mathieu Fenasse, of Liberty, was the medalist at 75-70-66–211.
Minor League Baseball
Jackets top Suns in series opener
In Hagerstown, Md., Matthew Duffy had two hits and an RBI as the Augusta GreenJackets beat the Hagerstown Suns 3-1 on Tuesday night in the opener of a three-game series.
Jesus Galindo and Shayne Houck also knocked in runs for the GreenJackets.
Starter Martin Agosta (3-1) allowed one run on five hits and struck out nine in 61/3 innings to get the win. Relievers Derek Law, Stephen Johnson and Tyler Mizenko combined to blank the Suns over the final 22/3 innings, with Mizenko earning his sixth save.
Bulldogs pound Yellow Jackets
In Atlanta, Curt Powell and Hunter Cole both had four hits and two RBI as Georgia (16-26) blitzed Georgia Tech 17-0 on Tuesday night at Turner Field. The Yellow Jackets fall to 27-14.
• In Shelby, N.C., Gardner-Webb (21-19-1) scored the winning run on an error in the ninth inning and edged South Carolina 7-6. The Gamecocks drop to 31-11.
• USC Aiken (37-9) is ranked third in the latest Collegiate Baseball Newspaper NCAA Division II Poll.
Wildcats player wins state title
In Macon, Ga., Westminster’s Wes Maddox defeated Heritage’s No. 1 player Joe Sterrey 6-3, 7-6 on Tuesday to win the GISA Class AAA individual state title at John Drew Smith Tennis Center.
• North Augusta’s Gracie Bryant has signed to play volleyball at Lander, and Jackie Hill has signed to play softball at Erskine.
• Grovetown diver Meghan Zets has signed with West Florida.
• Butler boys basketball player Ron Jones has signed with Chattanooga State Community College.
Jaguars, Pacers earn NCAA bids
The Augusta State and USC men’s tennis teams will open play Saturday in the 48-team NCAA Division II Tournament.
The sixth-seeded Jaguars (12-11) face third-seeded Lander (14-3) at 1 p.m. in the Southeast Region No. 2 bracket after seventh-seeded USC Aiken (11-6) meets second-seeded Columbus State (17-3) at 9 a.m. Both matches are at Columbus State.
– From staff reports