Pacers on top in PBC Tournament
In Pine Mountain, Ga., third-ranked USC Aiken holds a seven-shot lead after the 36-hole first day of the Peach Belt Conference Tournament on the Mountain View Course at Callaway Gardens.
The Pacers were in third place after 12-over-par 300 in the morning round. But behind Matt Atkins’ career-best 7-under-par 65 and J.P. Solis’ 69, USC Aiken shot 282 in the afternoon to take the lead.
Columbus State (298-291) and Georgia Southwestern (297-292) are tied for second.
Atkins (78-65–143) and Solis (74-69–143) are tied for second place individually, behind Columbus State’s Bryan Lichimo (73-69–142).
• In Columbus, Ohio, the Augusta State women are in eighth place after two rounds of the Lady Buckeye Invitational.
The Lady Jaguars opened with 23-over-par 311 and followed with 315 for 50-over 626. The low team round of the day was 295 by leader Purdue, which is 29-over.
For Augusta State, Natalie Wille (75-79–154) is tied for 13th place, Casey Kennedy (79-77–156) is tied for 22nd, Julia Stalbro (78-79–157) is tied for 31st, Christine Duschek-Hansen (79-80–159) is tied for 41st for Stephanie Bennett (83-84–167) is tied for 59th.
USC Aiken has to settle for a split
In Aiken, No. 5 USC Aiken split a Peach Belt Conference doubleheader with Columbus State.
The Pacers (36-9, 20-6) rallied to win the opener 8-7, then were blown out, 16-8.
USC Aiken scored twice in the eighth inning to pull out the victory in Game 1, with Ty Barkell delivering the game-winning single.
• In Florence, S.C., Augusta State was blanked 8-0 by Francis Marion in both games of a doubleheader, suffering a combined 20 strikeouts in the two games.
The Jaguars (10-32, 3-20 Peach Belt) have lost 15 games in a row.
• Chris Johnson had a double and two RBI to lead Paine to a 4-1 victory over Albany State in the first game of a doubleheader. Albany State won the nightcap 10-6.
• In Columbia, Brison Celek’s RBI single in the 11th inning gave 14th-ranked South Carolina a 7-6 victory over 17th-ranked Kentucky (24-14, 7-10 Southeastern Conference) and a sweep of a doubleheader.
The Gamecocks (30-10, 10-7) won the first game 5-2 with ex-Greenbrier standout Nolan Belcher (6-3) striking out six in 7⅔ innings.
• In Atlanta, Carlos Rodon went the distance to lead 17th-ranked North Carolina State (31-10, 13-7 Atlantic Coast Conference) to a 6-2 victory over 16th-ranked Georgia Tech (27-12, 11-9).
• In Coral Gables, Fla., Miami (26-16, 9-11 ACC) edged No. 12 Clemson 2-1 and ended the 12-game winning streak by the Tigers (27-12, 13-7).
• In Athens, Ga., Georgia and No. 2 Vanderbilt split a doubleheader with the Bulldogs (15-25, 4-13 SEC) winning the opener 3-1 and the Commodores (34-6, 15-2) taking the nightcap 15-4.
Upset victory is sparked by Cook
In St. Augustine, Fla., Alyssa Cook had a grand slam and sixth-seeded USC Aiken (25-20-1) upset third-seeded North Georgia 5-2 in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament.
Djokovic, Nadal in Monaco final
In Monaco, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal will meet in the Monte Carlo Masters final.
Nadal beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-3, 7-6 (3) and Djokovic stopped Fabio Fognini 6-2, 6-1 in the semis.