Minor League Baseball
In Charleston, S.C., Matthew Duffy had three hits and two RBI as the Augusta GreenJackets beat the Charleston RiverDogs 4-1 on Saturday night.
Kendry Flores (1-0) allowed one run on three hits and struck out six in five innings to get the win. Tyler Mizenko pitched the ninth for his third save.
Pacers sweep past Bearcats
In Greenwood, S.C., Bill Gerstenslager homered in the ninth to break a tie and give ninth-ranked USC Aiken a 6-5 victory over 10th-ranked Lander in the first game of a Peach Belt Conference doubleheader on Saturday.
The Pacers (34-8, 19-5) completed the sweep by winning the second game 14-7.
Gerstenslager had two RBI and scored twice in the opener. Ty Barkell went 5 for 6 with three RBI and three runs in Game 2. Ryan Metzler also drove in three runs in the nightcap, while Gerstenslager scored three times.
• In Gainesville, Fla., Florida scored 10 runs in the sixth inning to break a tie and went on to beat eighth-ranked South Carolina 14-5, sweeping the three-game Southeastern Conference series from the Gamecocks (27-10, 8-7).
• In Clemson, S.C., Tyler Kreiger drove in the only run as Tigers (25-11, 11-6 ACC) blanked Wake Forest 1-0 for their ninth win in a row.
• In Atlanta, No. 19 Georgia Tech (25-10, 10-7) managed just four hits and lost 7-2 to Virginia, evening the Atlantic Coast Conference series.
• In Auburn, Ala., Brett DeLoach hit a three-run homer to lead Georgia (13-24, 3-12) over Auburn in the second game of an SEC doubleheader. The Tigers won the opener 8-4.
USC Aiken takes two from Lander
In Aiken, USC Aiken swept a doubleheader from Lander, 5-0 and 2-1, to close out the regular season.
India Kornegay (13-12) struck out 13 and Andrea Daring had three hits and an RBI in the opener.
Lindsey Jones and Cortney Sadler drove in runs in the second game for the Lady Pacers (24-20-1, 11-11 Peach Belt). Taylor Morgan (11-8) pitched 51/3 innings in relief of Kornegay to get the win.
Lady Jags wind up in fifth place
In Florence, S.C., the Augusta State women beat USC Aiken and Clayton State by 5-4 scores to finish fifth in the Peach Belt Championships on Saturday.
The Jaguar men beat blanked Flagler 5-0 before falling 5-1 to Francis Marion in the fifth-place match.
The USC Aiken women were eliminated with the loss to Augusta State, while the Pacer men were bounced 5-3 by Francis Marion.
• In Houston, Nicolas Almagro and ex- Georgia star John Isner aced their way into the final of the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship.
Top-seeded Almagro beat Rhyne Williams 6-2, 6-1, while Isner knocked off defending champion Juan Monaco 1-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Yale claims its first NCAA title
In Pittsburgh, Jeff Malcolm stopped 36 shots and Yale won its first NCAA hockey championship with a 4-0 victory over top-seeded Quinnipiac on Saturday night.
Clinton Bourbonais, Charles Orzetti, Andrew Miller and Jesse Root scored for the Bulldogs, who stunnned the nation’s No. 1 team.