Augusta State 12th at Hootie
In Awendaw, S.C., the Augusta State men were tied for 12th as the second round of the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate was halted because of darkness.
The Jaguars completed two rounds Monday after Sunday’s play was called off because of rain. At 38-over-par, the Jaguars are 15 shots back from the leaders, LSU, which has also completed two rounds.
Augusta State’s top player is Alex Wennstam, who is tied for sixth at 3-over-par 147.
• The USC Aiken men are in fourth place after two rounds at the Bearcat Golf Classic, held at Greenwood (S.C.) Country Club. The Pacers are 15 shots behind leader Belmont Abbey. USC Aiken is led by Mark Dickson, who enters the final round tied
for fifth at 3-over-par 147.
• Rory McIlroy will spend part of his week before the Masters Tournament on a humanitarian mission in Haiti. The UNICEF ambassador says he will meet children and families April 1-2 to see how their lives have changed since the 2010 earthquake.
Jaguars swept by Georgia College
Georgia College completed a series sweep of Augusta State on Monday, beating the Jaguars 7-3 in Milledgeville.
Augusta State starter David Bermudez lasted two innings, giving up five hits and five runs, all in the second inning.
• The University of South Carolina Aiken moved up two spots to sixth in the latest Collegiate Baseball NCAA Division II poll.
USC Aiken plans Elite Eight party
Pacer fans are invited to a viewing party at the USC Aiken Convocation Center to watch the men’s basketball team compete in its first Elite Eight game Thursday night.
USC Aiken (25-7) and Drury (28-4) will tip off at 8:30 p.m. at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Ky. The doors at the Convocation Center will open at 8. Admission is free, and free pizza and drinks will be available.
• USC Aiken senior guard Daniela Tarailo has been named a Division II Honorable Mention All-American by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association.
Georgia Southern heads to Sun Belt
A person familiar with the situation says Georgia Southern and Appalachian State are leaving the Southern Conference for the Sun Belt Conference.
The two will join the Sun Belt in every sport except football beginning in 2014. The football programs will join in 2015. An announcement is scheduled for later this week.
The moves will give the Sun Belt 10 football members in 2015. Arkansas State, Georgia State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy and Western Kentucky are the others.
Baseball, soccer statistics due
Individual player statistics for baseball and soccer are due by noon Thursday.
The Augusta Chronicle will publish a list of area leaders in the following baseball categories: batting average, doubles, home runs, hits, runs batted in, on-base percentage and stolen bases. Pitching categories will be overall record, earned run average and strikeouts. Soccer listings will include goals and assists, plus keeper categories for saves and goals against average. Stats can be faxed to (706) 823-3408 or e-mailed to Wayne Staats at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– From staff and wire reports