Four share lead at Kandy Waters
In Edgefield County, only 68 players completed the first round of the NGA Tour’s Kandy Waters Memorial Classic at Mount Vintage Plantation because of a two-hour frost delay.
Four players – Tyson Alexander, Adam Long, Derek Rende and Zac Radford – shot 2-under-par 70s. Only four other players broke par.
Garland Smith, of Johnston, had 72 and former Augusta State golfer Wallace Booth shot 73.
• In Charlotte, N.C., former Kansas golfer Chris Thompson shot 7-under-par 65 to win the weather-plagued Championship at Ballantyne.
Thompson finished at
11-under 133 in the eGolf Tour event that was shortened from 54 holes to 36 because of rain delays. He earned $17,000.
Chris Epperson (69-66) finished second, two behind Thompson.
Taylor Floyd was the top local finisher. The former Augusta State player shot 72-71-143 to tie for 36th place. Mitch Krywulycz (75-76–151) tied for 84th place and Rob Bennett (74-84–158) tied for 110th place.
Lady Jags’ event to get under way
The Augusta State women look to finally break through in the sixth annual Insperity Lady Jaguar Intercollegiate, a 54-hole event that begins today at Forest Hills Golf Club.
The Lady Jaguars have finished as runner-up in its home event each of the past five years.
The field consists of 18 teams, including 2012 champion Texas-San Antonio.
• USC Aiken golfer Matt Atkins has been chosen as the Peach Belt Conference men’s Golfer of the Week for the second time this season.
Atkins shot 68-68-70 to be the medalist in the Palmetto Intercollegiate earlier this week.
Pacers have big day at the plate
In Aiken, Josh Miller, Bryce Bauer and Bill Gerstenslager all had three hits as USC Aiken beat Anderson 10-6 in baseball.
The 13th-ranked Pacers (17-5) scored the first 10 runs of the game.
USC Aiken had 19 hits in the game.
• In Dahlonega, Ga., USC Aiken lost a softball doubleheader, 5-2 and 9-1, to No. 9 North Georgia.
Lindsey Jones had an RBI for the Lady Pacers (16-10-1, 4-4 Peach Belt Conference) in Game 1 and Sarah Montel had an RBI in Game 2.
• In an effort to avoid a conflict with the NCAA Division II men’s basketball Southeast Regional championship game at the convocation center on Tuesday, USC Aiken’s baseball game against Chowan will be held at 4 p.m. at Roberto Hernandez Stadium.
The basketball game will start at 7.
• Peach Belt Conference Player of the Year and Peach Belt Conference Tournament MVP Re’mon Nelson has been named to the Daktronics All-Southeast Region first-team.
• USC Aiken senior women’s guard Daniela Tarailo was named to the Daktronics All-Southeast Region second-team.
Minor League Baseball
National anthem auditions are set
The Augusta GreenJackets will hold their annual national anthem auditions at a new location this year.
The auditions are scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., on Saturday at the front court of JC Penney in Augusta Mall.
Auditions will be done on a first-come, first-served basis, in front of three judges. Those selected will perform during one of the Jackets’ 70 home games.
– From staff reports