Kennedy prevails at Mount Vintage
Augusta State’s Casey Kennedy won the individual title at the Purdue Mount Vintage Invitational on Sunday.
Kennedy closed with 1-over-par 73 to win by four shots over Iowa State’s Chonlada Chayanun.
Kennedy finished at 7-over 219 in the six-team, 54-hole tournament at Mount Vintage Plantation.
The Augusta State women were fourth, 22 strokes behind champion Coastal Carolina.
Also counting for the Lady Jaguars were Natalie Wille (75-75-74–224), Marit Bjerke (84-84-78–246), Shannon Pak (86-84-77–247). Christine Duschek-Hansen (82-86-86–254) had the non-counting score and Stephanie Bennett (81-81-74) played as an individual.
Belcher extends scoreless streak
In Columbia, former Greenbrier standout Nolan Belcher pitched another gem for South Carolina.
Belcher had seven strikeouts in seven shutout innings as the Gamecocks completed a sweep of Rider with a 1-0 victory Sunday.
Belcher gave up eight hits and didn’t allow a walk as he improved to 3-1.
He ran his scoreless innings streak to 18. He was coming off a complete-game shutout last week against Clemson.
• Jake McCurry had three hits and two RBI to lead North Georgia to a 4-3 win over Augusta State at Lake Olmstead Stadium.
Justin Appel had two RBI and Hunter Boose added another for the Jaguars, who have lost four of seven.
• In Savannah, Ga., Ethan Bader allowed one run on five hits in seven innings to lead Armstrong Atlantic State to a 2-1 win over USC Aiken.
R.J. Dennard had an RBI single in the eighth inning to put the Pirates ahead.
The Pacers dropped a three-game series for the first time this season.
• In Athens, Ga., Nick Lacik drove in three runs and Liberty avoided a sweep with an 11-8 win over Georgia.
Kyle Farmer and Hunter Cole had three RBI apiece for the Bulldogs.
• In Blacksburg, Va., Brendon Hayden homered and drove in three run as Virginia Tech avoided a sweep with a 6-2 victory over Georgia Tech.
The loss snapped the Yellow Jackets’ nine-game winning streak.
• In Raleigh, N.C., Sam Morgan had a pinch-hit, two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning, leading North Carolina State to a 4-1 win over Clemson.
Starter Scott Firth gave up just one unearned run in 6⅔ innings for the Tigers.
Bobcats capture conference title
In Swainsboro, Ga., Tre’ Hagood had 23 points and 10 rebounds to lead East Georgia State College to a 74-71 win over Chattahoochee Tech in the Georgia College Athletic Association championship game Saturday night.
Da’Vanon Felder added 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Bobcats, who advance to the Division I Junior College National Tournament in Hutchinson, Kan.
East Georgia State College, located in Swainsboro, is ranked sixth in the nation.
Jenkins reaches deal with Giants
Defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins signed a three-year, $8 million contract with the New York Giants, a person with knowledge of the deal said Sunday.
Jenkins was cut by the Philadelphia Eagles last month.
• The Cincinnati Bengals re-signed place kicker Mike Nugent for two years.