Ace tosses gem in Bulldogs’ rout
In Athens, Ga., Sean McLaughlin pitched six shutout innings, giving up four hits and striking out seven in Georgia’s 12-0 rout of Liberty on Friday night.
Zack Bowers homered and Kyle Farmer drove in four runs for the Bulldogs.
• In Columbia, Evan Beal gave up one hit in six shutout innings as South Carolina claimed a 2-0 win over Rider.
Joey Pankake had an RBI for the Gamecocks.
• In Blacksburg, Va., Daniel Palka and Zane Evans hit home runs and had four RBI as Georgia Tech cruised to an 11-1 win over Virginia Tech.
Buck Farmer allowed just one run on two hits in six innings for the surging Yellow Jackets, who have won eight in a row.
• In Raleigh, N.C., Garrett Boulware hit a home run and drove in five runs as Clemson picked up a 10-5 win over North Carolina State.
Trea Turner and Will Nance homered for the Wolfpack.
• In Statesboro, Ga., former Greenbrier standout Ben Morgan was 4 for 5 with three RBI to lead Georgia Southern to a 7-2 victory over Wofford.
Evans graduate T.D. Davis added an RBI for the Eagles.
Saints prevail on late free throws
In Columbus, Ga., Ishmael Hollis hit a pair of free throws with 4 seconds left, lifting North Georgia to a 77-75 win over Armstrong Atlantic State in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament quarterfinals.
Scott Windom led the Saints (16-11) with with 16 points and 11 rebounds. North Georgia will take on USC Aiken in today’s semifinals.
Aric Miller scored a game-high 27 points for the Pirates (15-12).
• In Columbus, Ga., Brandon Winford scored 18 points to lead UNC Pembroke (21-8) to an 84-72 win over Georgia Southwestern.
Milos Kleut had 18 points for the Hurricanes (13-13).
Fields has lead at eGolf event
In Kannapolis, N.C., Jack Fields held a one-shot lead when play was suspended because of darkness during the third round of the eGolf Tour’s Irish Creek Classic on Friday.
Fields was through 13 holes at 8-under-par at The Club at Irish Creek.
Former Augusta State golfer Wallace Booth completed his round of 71. He is tied for 28th.
David Robinson, of Sandersville, Ga., didn’t finish he round. He is tied for 56th.
High School Basketball
Balanced attack propels Spartans
In Macon, Ga., five players scored in double figures to lead Greater Atlanta Christian to a 69-52 victory over Bleckley County on Friday in the GHSA Class AA boys state championship game at the Macon Centreplex.
Troy Morrison led the Spartans with 17 points and eight assists, Isaiah Wilkins added 12 points and 11 rebounds, Cam Boyd had 13 points, Justin Louis 11 and Collin Swinton 10.
The Spartans (29-3) won their third Class AA state championship in four years and their sixth overall in school history.
• Tynice Martin scored 15 points and pulled down 16 rebounds to lead Southwest DeKalb to a 56-52 win over rival Miller Grove in the Class AAAAA girls state championship game.
The Panthers won their fourth state championship in school history, with all coming in the past six years.