Lady Jaguars are 24th in new poll
The Augusta State women’s basketball team was ranked 24th in the final USA Today/Division II Top 25 Coaches’ Poll of the regular season, one spot ahead of USC Aiken.
The Lady Jaguars (21-5), who beat the Lady Pacers last week in Aiken, open play in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament at 1 p.m. Thursday against North Georgia at the Lumpkin Center in Columbus, Ga.
The Lady Pacers (20-6) will play Columbus State at 7.
• USC Aiken freshman pitcher Taylor Morgan has been named the Peach Belt Conference Softball Freshman of the Week.
Pacers post win against Catawba
In Aiken, Ty Barkell homered and drove in three runs and sixth-ranked USC Aiken edged 25th-ranked Catawba 7-6 on Tuesday at Roberto Hernandez Stadium.
The Pacers (14-2) led 5-1 and 7-3 before the Indians (13-5) battled back.
Catawba scored two runs in the eighth and one in the ninth before USC Aiken held on.
Barkell finished 3 for 4 and scored. JJ Loker was also 3 for 4 with an RBI.
Tyler Stephan (2-0) got the win in relief of starter Taylor Peed by pitching two scoreless innings.
Taylor Grover, a former Midland Valley High standout, pitched the final 1⅔ innings to earn his Peach Belt Conference-leading fifth save of the season.
• In Columbia, left-hander Jack Wynkoop retired the first 16 batters he faced and Joey Pankake hit a three-run homer as South Carolina blitzed Ball State 10-0.
• In Athens, Ga., Tyler White drove in three runs to lead Western Carolina past Georgia 12-7.
• USC Aiken pitchers Ryan Milewski and Sean Miller were honored by the Peach Belt on Tuesday.
Milewski was named as the league’s pitcher of the week, while Miller was chosen as the freshman of the week.
USC Aiken takes second in event
In Salisbury, N.C., third-ranked USC Aiken shot 301 in the final round to finish second in the Richard Rendleman Invitational at the par-71 Country Club of Salisbury.
The Pacers finished the 36-hole event at 590, seven shots behind winner Belmont Abbey, which closed with 287.
Belmont Abbey’s Adam Hedges took medalist honors with 74-67–141.
JP Solis tied for 12th place at 67-80–147 to lead USC Aiken. Kyle Godsman tied for 17th at 71-77–148, Matt Atkins tied for 24th at 79-70–149, Mark Dickson tied for 32nd at 76-74–150 and Andrew Ward tied for 60th 75-81–156.
Kickoff is set for Bulldogs-Tigers
The Aug. 31 football game between Georgia and Clemson in Clemson, S.C., will be televised by ABC-Ch. 6 with kickoff set for 8 p.m.
• Big East football schools will get almost all of a $110 million pot in a deal that will allow seven departing basketball schools to keep the name Big East and start playing in their own conference next season, a person familiar with the negotiations says.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. That is likely to happen by the end of the week.
The football schools will receive approximately $100 million under the agreement, most of which will go to holdover members Connecticut, South Florida and Cincinnati.