Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, 725 Broad St., Augusta, GA 30901, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number is (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
● Martinez Evans Little League Baseball is now open for children ages 4 through 18 to sign up for its spring season. Deadline for minors is Friday, and deadline for wee ball, tee ball and coach pitch is March 15. For additional information or to register, visit www.mellbaseball.org.
● The Augusta Braves 8-under machine pitch travel team is seeking players for the upcoming season. Players must be 8 or younger prior to before May 1. For more details, contact Wesley Teston at (706) 306-4791.
● The Augusta Metros Elite team is looking for girls in grades 9-10 and boys in grades 8-10 for the upcoming AAU season. For information, call Peabody at (706) 495-9244 or Valerie Rogers at (706) 990-9480.
● The Augusta Sports Council is seeking volunteers for the GRU Augusta Half Marathon & 10K to be held Saturday and Feb. 24. More than 400 volunteers are needed for a variety of functions including athlete registration, course set-up and break-down, water stations, finish line support and hospitality. Online volunteer registration is available at www.augustahalf.org or by contacting the Augusta Sports Council at (706) 722-8326.
● The University of Georgia Rowing Team will hold its seventh annual Southeastern Regional Collegiate Sprints on March 2. The regatta will run from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and will play host to 14 events throughout. For more information, contact Samantha Slappey at (404) 788-4583 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
● The Augusta Fencers Club will hold a 10-week class in beginning foil fencing. The class is designed for adults, but mature students as young as 14 can apply. The class will meet on Wednesdays from 7 to 8 p.m. beginning on Feb. 20. Cost is $150 and will include all competitive equipment. For information, call (706) 722-8878.
● The Great Wesley Chase 5K run and walk will be held March 16. Race day registration for the event starts at 8 a.m. Cost is $20 for adult registration before Feb. 27, and $25 after. Cost for striders, students and military is $17. Cost for the kids half-mile is $12. All proceeds go toward the youth mission project helping Afghan children. For additional information, contact Patty Gilbert at email@example.com.
● The 32nd annual Rose City Walk, hosted by the City of Thomasville and the Thomasville YMCA, will take place April 20 at 8:30. Pre-registration ends April 16. Cost is $15 per person before April 16, and $17 after. There is no race day registration. Individuals 13 years of age and older can participate. For additional information, call (229) 226-9878.
● The Georgia State Games celebrates its 23rd anniversary this year. The games have played host to championships in 50 sports with 10,000 athletes competing each year. Participants have ranged in age from 3 to 87, and represented 139 counties in 549 cities in Georgia. To register to compete or volunteer for this year’s events, visit www.georgiagames.org. For more information, contact Taylor Wood at (470) 258-9259 or e-mail staff.taylor.wood@ georgiagames.org.
● The Augusta Amateur Soccer Futsal League will run through March 16 on Saturdays at the Patriots Park gym. A team must have a minimum of eight players and maximum of 12. The cost for returning teams from the outdoor league is $550 or $700 for a new team. For additional information, contact Justin Goolsby at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ricky Sanders at (706) 691-7242.
● The Columbia County Recreation Department will hold an adult softball organizational meeting on Thursday, beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the administrative office at Patriots Park. If interested in entering a team, a representative must be present. The meeting will discuss the upcoming season, fees, schedules and any other questions that might arise. If you are unable to attend, please contact Justin Goolsby at (706) 863-7523.
● The CSRA Force girls fastpitch teams are looking for players ages 10-under and 12-under for next year’s teams. For information, call Wayne Wilson for the 10-under team at (706) 564-5357, and Kathy Guin for the 12-under team at (706) 401-1820.
● A 10-under fast-pitch team needs players for the 2013 season. Players must be 10 and under by Jan. 1. For information, call Tamara Tate at (706) 951-4362 or Linda Bobo at (706) 627-8803.
● Newman Tennis Center will play host to an after-school program for children ages 4-17. Cost will be $120 twice a week for children ages 13-17 including one free private lesson, $72 once a week or $20 per clinic. Cost for children ages 7-12 will be $80 twice a week including one free private lesson, $50 once a week or $15 per clinic. Cost will be $60 twice a week for children ages 4-6 including one free private lesson, $40 once a week or $12 per clinic. For more information, contact Newman Tennis Center at (706) 821-1600.
● Providence Baptist Church will play host to its Mission Impossible Golf Tournament March 2, at Applewood Golf Course. Cost is $50 per person, and 100 percent of the proceeds will help fund a mission trip to Honduras. To register, visit pbcaugusta.org. Participants can also sign up the day of the event.
● The First Annual Sgt. John F. Burner Golf Scramble will be held at Gordon Lakes Golf Course on Fort Gordon on March 8. Four people teams will follow a scramble format. Registration begins at 10:30 a.m., with lunch at the club house at 11. Shotgun start at noon. If less than 40 players, traditional start. Prizes will be awarded for Par 3 hole-in-one, closest to the pin, longest drive and putt for cash contest. Cost is $40 per person, and includes green fee, cart, club rental and lunch. All proceeds benefit A Soldier’s Child Birthday Foundation. To register, e-mail email@example.com.
● USSSA Junior Golf is holding registration for its tour for boys and girls ages 9-18. For information or to register e-mail Bob Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to at usssa.com.