Pirates even the score with Jags
In Savannah, Ga., Armstrong Atlantic State avenged an earlier loss to Augusta State, stopping the Jaguars 59-57 on Thursday night in a Peach Belt Conference game.
The Pirates dropped a 74-56 decision at Augusta State on Jan. 12.
Devon Wright-Nelson had 27 points and nine rebounds for the Jaguars (10-7, 5-5), but he got little support. Ryan Weems, with 11 points, was the only other Jaguar to score in double figures.
Aric Miller had 18 points, nine rebounds and six assists for the Pirates (11-6, 7-3). Antroine Williford had 16 points and 13 rebounds.
• In Savannah, Ga., the Augusta State women stopped Armstrong Atlantic State 66-47 in the Lady Jaguars’ first game since breaking in the national rankings this week.
The No. 24 Lady Jaguars (15-2, 8-2) got 14 points, six rebounds and three steals from Becky Newhouse. Brittany White had 13 points, six rebounds and four assists.
Armstrong Atlantic State’s leading scorer was Tori Klewicki-McNutt with seven points. The Lady Pirates are 7-10 overall and 2-8 in the conference.
• In Aiken, DeVontae Wright and Re’mon Nelson led a hot-shooting USC Aiken team to an 84-64 victory over Flagler.
Wright came off the bench to score 17 points, hitting 7 of 8 shots from the floor and three of four from the free-throw line.
Nelson had 16 points, making five of seven from the field and all five of his free-throw attempts.
As a team, the Pacers
(13-5, 9-2) hit 58.5 percent of their shots (31 of 53).
Flagler (9-9, 5-6) hit 41.3 percent of its shots (26 of 63). Ante Gospic had 21 points and nine rebounds.
• Former USC Aiken All-Peach Belt Conference guard Sterling Council has signed with the Emerald Coast Knights, of Destin, Fla., of the American Basketball League.
• Paine College’s men moved over the .500 mark in Southern Intercollegiate Conference play with a 78-66 victory over Claflin at the HEAL Complex.
Mario Jordan had 19 points and Sean Morgan added 17 for the Lions (8-11, 6-5 SIAC).
• Former Butler star Ashley Watts scored 27 points to lead the Paine women to a 64-52 conference victory over Claflin.
Watts hit 8 of 17 shots from the field and 9 of her 10 free-throw attempts.
Paine is 9-11 overall and 7-3 in conference play.
• In Aiken, the sixth-ranked USC Aiken women rolled past Flagler 65-40 in a Peach Belt Conference game.
Mackenzie Reese came off the bench to lead the Pacers (16-2, 9-2) with 11 points in 21 minutes of action.
Brittany Hill added 11 and Porsha Martin had 10 rebounds.
Williesha Spencer had 15 points to lead Flagler (7-9, 5-6).
Durant lights up Grizzlies in win
In Oklahoma City, Kevin Durant scored 27 points, Russell Westbrook added 21 points and nine assists and the Oklahoma City Thunder beat Memphis 106-89
on Thursday night in the Grizzlies’ first game since trading away Rudy Gay.
Former Jaguar is 3 back in Dubai
In Dubai, United Arab Emirates, former Augusta State golfer Scott Jamieson is tied for third place after the first round of the Dubai Desert Classic.
Jamieson shot 6-under-par 65 and trails Richard Sterne by three shots. Stephen Gallacher is in second place after 63.