Pro basketball will return to Augusta in 2013-14

After a four-year absence, pro basketball is coming back to Augusta.
The American Basketball Association announced Wednesday that the Georgia-Lina Hurricanes will be based in Augusta and will be part of the league starting with the 2013-14 season.
The last Augusta minor league pro basketball team – the Augusta Groove – lasted one season, starting in early 2009.
The new team is owned by the Elite Sports Group of Augusta, under the control of Bryan Beaver and Jerald Smith.
Beaver, who is the chairman/founder of Elite Sports Group, will be the coach.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/28/12 - 08:43 pm
Will they play full court?

Will they play full court?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 11/29/12 - 01:05 am
Nope

They will play half court (winner's get the outs).

Techfan
Techfan 11/29/12 - 03:20 am
Will they play more than one

Will they play more than one season?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/29/12 - 04:39 am
I figure it will be skins

I figure it will be skins against shirts on the far end of the Laney Gym while the Laney girls practice on the other end.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/29/12 - 04:39 am
Hey, this is good news guys!

Hey, this is good news guys! No, I'm not particularly a basketball fan, but I think I'd try to go. Besides, anything to let other folks outside of Augusta know that we're here and we'd support other sports-related endeavors...like, uh, let's say some ARENA FOOTBALL!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/29/12 - 05:14 am
Techfan asks, "Will they play

Techfan asks, "Will they play more than one season?"

No way they make the entire season. Will they have to pay to use the school gym this time? Will they pay the players? Will they have enough uniforms?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/29/12 - 06:34 am
Did I miss something?

Did A-RC build something new to attract a Semi-Pro team?

Did Fred Russell pass a new tax?

Or was what Augusta-RC already had, good enough and the South Side did not have to chip in for their New Toy?

Either way I very glad to see to see the Downtown Crowd has a new toy to play with.

The Team should do very well, if the prices are reasonable.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/29/12 - 09:32 am
Not a roundball fan at all

BUT, things like this need to succeed in Augusta.

Jake
Jake 11/29/12 - 12:42 pm
Indoor Football

How about the Lingerie Football League? I would be "up" for that.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...