Georgia Tech’s caravan arrives
Georgia Tech’s Yellow Jacket Spring Caravan will start at 6 p.m. today at the First Baptist Church’s Fellowship Hall.
Speakers will include football coach Paul Johnson, men’s basketball coach Brian Gregory, women’s basketball coach MaChelle Joseph, director of athletics Dan Radakovich and announcer Wes Durham.
Admission is free, but fans are asked to sign up in advance at http://www.ramblinwreck.com/ot/caravan.html.
• South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier will be among the speakers at the South Carolina Fan Fest Spring Meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at Lady Antebellum Amphitheater in Evans.
In addition to Spurrier, men’s basketball coach Frank Martin and current student-athletes from the area will speak.
Admission of $5 may be paid at the entrance or by contacting the Gamecock Club at 803.777.4276 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minor League Baseball
Losing streak is over for Jackets
In Hagerstown, Md., the Augusta GreenJackets scored two unearned runs in the first inning en route to a 4-1 victory over Hagerstown.
Both first-inning runs came on a throwing error as Augusta snapped a three-game losing streak.
Michael Mergenthaler added a homer in the fourth and Jose Cuevas had a run-scoring double in the ninth.
Jags are edged in regional final
In Dahlonega, Ga., North Georgia’s Jessica Coan tossed a three-hitter and the Saints beat Augusta State 1-0 to win the NCAA Southeast Dahlonega Regional on Sunday.
Coan (25-7) struck out seven batters and retired the final 14.
The Saints’ run, in the first inning, was unearned.
Augusta State starter Emily Headrick (18-7) surrendered five hits in six innings with three strikeouts and a walk.
Because Augusta State came out of the loser’s bracket, the Jaguars would have had to beat North Georgia twice on Sunday for the title. Augusta State finishes the season at 33-18.
South Carolina trumps Arkansas
In Fayetteville, Ark., South Carolina scored four runs in the seventh inning and six in the eighth to beat Arkansas 10-7.
Tanner English led the Gamecocks (36-12, 16-8 Southeastern Conference) with three RBI.
• In Athens, Ga., Kyle Farmer’s three-run homer sparked Georgia to a 9-3 victory over Auburn. Georgia is now 28-20, 12-12 SEC.
• In Clemson, S.C., starter Kevin Pohle threw seven scoreless innings as Clemson beat College of Charleston 12-3. The Tigers are 28-19.
• In Atlanta, Ga., Daniel Palka’s RBI single in the 11th inning gave Georgia Tech a 6-5 victory and doubleheader sweep of Charlotte.
Georgia Tech (29-19) won the opener 6-5.
• In Statesboro, Ga., Eric Phillips delivered a run-scoring double in the eighth inning to lift Georgia Southern past Samford 3-2. Georgia Southern is now 26-23, 12-12 Southern Conference).
Blackburn helps team take title
In Macon, Ga., Evans’ Ryan Blackburn teamed with Bill Jones III to win the 54-hole Peach Blossom Invitational team tournament. They closed with 68 to win by one.
– From Staff Reports