Minor League Baseball
Jackets-Drive finale rained out
In Greenville, S.C. the finale of the four-game series between the Augusta GreenJackets and Greenville Drive was postponed because of rain. A makeup date will be announced at a later time.
The GreenJackets do not make another trip to Greenville in the first half, however, the Drive travel to Augusta twice before the All-Star break. This means that Sunday’s game will be made up in Augusta on a date to be announced, likely before the end of the week.
Saints complete sweep of Jags
In Dahlonega, Ga., North Georgia scored seven runs in the first two innings Sunday and cruised to a 16-3 victory over Augusta State.
Tremayne Toorie had a grand slam and Matthew Black added a homer for the Saints (23-22, 13-14 Peach Belt Conference), who completed a three-game sweep.
Clay Tucker and Brac Barton both had two hits and an RBI for the Jaguars (13-36, 4-26).
• In Albany, Ga., Darren Stokes had three hits and drove in two runs to lead Paine College to a 9-5 victory over Albany State.
William Gorman and Tyler Padgett had two RBI apiece for the Lions (25-20, 14-7 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference).
Allen Hardy and Stephen Lightfoot each had three hits and an RBI for the Rams (18-21, 13-8).
• In Gainesville, Fla., Daniel Pigott hit a three-run home run, leading top-ranked Florida (31-9, 11-7 Southeastern Conference) to a 6-3 victory over Georgia.
Levi Hyams, Colby May and Brandon Stephens drove in runs for the Bulldogs (24-17, 8-10).
• In Auburn, Ala., LB Dantzler and Erik Payne homered as South Carolina (30-11, 11-7 SEC) completed a three-game sweep with an 11-7 victory over Auburn.
Creede Simpson had a home run for the Tigers
• In Bloomington, Ind., Will Middour gave up just one unearned run in seven innings, leading Georgia Southern
(23-19) to a 9-1 win over Indiana (18-22).
Lady Pacers bow out in PBC semis
In Columbus, Ga., Melissa Dickie pitched a complete-game shutout, leading North Georgia to a 9-0 win over USC Aiken in the semifinals of the Peach Belt Conference Tournament.
India Kornegay gave up five runs in 1⅔ innings for the Pacers, who must now wait to see if they will be selected for the Division II Tournament. The selection will be held April 30.
SIAC event set for Jones Creek
The SIAC Golf Classic returns to Jones Creek Golf Club today. The tournament will wrap up on Tuesday.
All five SIAC teams will participate in this year’s event including Paine College, the host school, Benedict, Kentucky State, LeMoyne-Owen, two-time defending champion Morehouse.
• In St. Simons Island, Ga., Georgia finished in fourth place at the SEC Championship on Sunday.
Playing Sea Island Golf Club’s Seaside Course, the Bulldogs posted13-over 293 to finish at 10-over 850. Team honors went to Alabama, which had 828.
Keith Mitchell paced the Bulldogs with 71. T.J. Mitchell and Brian Carter had 73. Joey Garber shot 75. Nicholas Reach, who won the Junior Invitational at Sage Valley last year, had the Bulldogs’ non-counting score of 77.
Medalist honors went to Alabama’s Justin Thomas at 7-under 203.