Minor League Baseball
Drive slip past GreenJackets
In Greenville, S.C., Henry Ramos’ two-run double in the eighth inning lifted Greenville to a 4-3 victory over Augusta on Saturday night, ending the GreenJackets’ two-game winning streak.
Augusta scored all three of its runs in the first inning, on Shawn Payne’s two-run homer and Ben Thomas’ fielder’s choice.
The Drive scored two runs in the fourth inning to cut the deficit to 3-2.
USC Aiken earns split on the road
In Florence, S.C., Ty Barkell helped USC Aiken earn a split with Francis Marion in a Peach Belt Conference doubleheader.
Barkell had four hits and three RBI as USC Aiken won the nightcap 8-1 after losing the opener 4-3.
Will Tankersley had a homer for the Pacers (31-16, 18-12 Peach Belt) in the second game.
• In Dahlonega, Ga., Augusta State couldn’t come up with the clutch hits and lost to North Georgia 9-5.
The Jaguars had 15 hits to 13 for the Saints, but didn’t make them count. Seth Foster had to two hits and two RBI for the Jaguars (13-24, 4-24 Peach Belt).
• In College Park, Md., Jonathan Meyer pitched seven scoreless innings in relief as Clemson beat Maryland 7-2 to sweep a doubleheader.
Clemson (24-17, 12-9 Atlantic Coast Conference) won the first game of the twin bill 5-3.
• In Chapel Hill, N.C., Jake Davies’ two-run homer helped Georgia Tech beat North Carolina 4-2 and split a doubleheader.
North Carolina scored eight runs in the first inning of the opener en route to a 12-5 win. Georgia Tech is now 24-17, 9-12 ACC).
• In Auburn, Ala., LB Dantzler homered and Christian Walker had a two-run triple as South Carolina beat Auburn 5-3.
The victory clinched the weekend series for South Carolina (29-11, 10-7 Southeastern Conference).
• In Gainesville, Fla., top-ranked Florida edged Georgia 3-2 in a 16-inning, four-hour, 56-minute game on Friday night.
The Gators won it on a two-out throwing error on a third strike – the only error of the game.
Georgia won Saturday night’s game 5-3 to improve to 24-16, 8-9 SEC.
• In Bloomington, Ind., freshman starter Kyle Hart went the distance, giving up five hits, as Indiana beat Georgia Southern 3-0 in game that took less than two hours. Georgia Southern drops to 22-19.
Pacers turn back rival Jaguars 3-0
In Columbus, Ga., India Kornegay threw a three-hitter and sixth-seeded USC Aiken beat third-seeded Augusta State 3-0 in the quarterfinals of the Peach Belt Conference Tournament.
Kornegay, who struck out 10, got all the runs she needed in the first inning, on Kayla Denham’s two-run double and Lindsey Jones’ RBI single.
USC Aiken (26-16) takes on second-seeded North Georgia at 11 a.m. today.
Augusta State drops to 31-16.
Crimson Tide are up by 11 strokes
In St. Simons Island, Ga., Alabama leads Georgia and Auburn by 11 shots entering today’s final round of the Southeastern Conference Tournament.
Former Lakeside golfer Brian Carter (68-70) is Georgia’s top player. He’s tied for seventh, four behind individual co-leaders Bobby Wyatt, of Alabama, and Rick Lamb, of Tennessee.