Aranas powers USC Aiken to win
In Aiken, Nick Aranas had four hits and two RBI as USC Aiken rallied to complete a season sweep of Paine College, winning 8-6, on Tuesday night.
The Pacers (29-14) beat Paine 8-4 on Feb. 29 in their other meeting.
• In Savannah, Ga., John Roberts’ walk-off homer in the 11th inning gave Armstrong Atlantic State a 6-5 victory over Augusta State.
Armstrong pitchers limited Augusta State to three singles, all singles, by Caleb Saggus, Bradley Dennis and Brac Barton.
• In Clemson, S.C., Thomas Brittle’s walkoff single lifted Clemson a 3-2 victory over Charleston Southern.
The hit came with two outs, as Clemson (21-17) improved to 16-0 all-time against the Buccaneers.
• In Columbia, Daniel Aldrich had a two-run homer in the first inning and Brandon Glazer and Bradley Goodson had solo shots to lead College of Charleston to a 3-2 victory over South Carolina.
• In Athens, Ga., Furman scored all its runs in the fourth inning en route to a 5-4 victory over Georgia (23-15).
• In Atlanta, Georgia Tech (22-16) had 15 hits, including three each by Jake Davies and Zane Evans, as the Yellow Jackets beat Georgia State 8-4.
Jaguars, Pacers split a twin bill
In Aiken, Augusta State and USC Aiken split a low-scoring Peach Belt Conference doubleheader.
The Lady Jaguars won the opener 1-0 on Kristen Jones’ leadoff homer in the seventh inning.
In the nightcap, the Lady Pacers prevailed 2-1, scoring both their runs in the second inning, on a Kayla Denham double and a passed ball.
Augusta State is now 31-15 and USC Aiken is 25-16.
Lady Rebels star signs her letter
Hephzibah girls basketball player Tiffani Harrison and Washington County boys basketball player Juwan Burden have signed national letters of intent,
Harrison, an Augusta Chronicle first team All-Area selection, signed with Young Harris.
Burden signed with Southern Union State Community College.
In softball, Richmond Academy ‘s Lazericka Watkins signed with LeMoyne-Owen College.
’Cats starters bound for NBA
Kentucky’s starting lineup of three freshmen and two sophomores did most everything together en route to the school’s eighth national title. Now, they will each go their separate ways in the NBA.
Freshmen Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marquis Teague, and sophomores Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb declared for the draft in a nationally televised news conference.
The group came into the season largely untested before ascending to No. 1, winning the Southeastern Conference in dominating fashion and beating Kansas for the NCAA title.
Pacers ranked No. 2 in regional
USC Aiken is ranked second in the inaugural NCAA Division II Southeast Region rankings, which virtually assures the Pacers of a spot in the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional.
The regional will be played May 7-9 at Rock Barn in Conover, N.C.
The South/Southeast Regional will consist of 10 teams each from both the South and Southeast regions of NCAA Division II.