Jackets salvage split with Gnats
In Savannah, Ga., Shawn Payne had two RBI and scored four runs in the Augusta GreenJackets’ 8-5 victory over the Savannah Sand Gnats on Sunday.
Carlos Willoughby and Jose Cuevas add two RBI apiece for the GreenJackets, who salvaged a split of the season-opening, four-game series.
Aderlin Rodriguez had a three-run homer for the Sand Gnats. It was his second home run of the series.
Pirates’ offense pummels Pacers
In Savannah, Ga., Armstrong Atlantic State posted a combined 19 runs in a doubleheader sweep of USC Aiken on Sunday.
The Pirates won the first game 12-11 and the second 7-3.
In the opener, R.J. Dennard was 3 for 4 with four RBI for Armstrong (27-9, 13-8 Peach Belt Conference). Josh Miller had a home run for USC Aiken.
Pirates center fielder Casey Maloney had two RBI in the second game. Former Harlem star Derek Beasley allowed five runs on eight hits for the Pacers (26-12, 15-9).
• In Fayetteville, Ark., DJ Baxendale struck out seven in eight shutout innings, leading Arkansas to an 8-0 win over Georgia (19-13, 5-7 Southeastern Conference).
Dominic Ficociello had a homer for the Razorbacks (24-7, 7-5).
• In Atlanta, Stephen McGee was 4 for 4 with three RBI, leading Florida State (27-5, 14-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) to an 8-4 victory over Georgia Tech.
Jake Davies had two hits and an RBI for the Yellow Jackets (19-14, 6-9).
• In Columbia, Colby Holmes allowed one run in seven innings, leading South Carolina to a 6-1 win over Tennessee (20-12, 6-6 SEC).
Adam Matthews and Dante Rosenberg both had two hits and an RBI for the Gamecocks (23-9, 5-7).
• In Durham, N.C., Jay Baum drove in three runs to lead Clemson to a 4-2 win over Duke (13-20, 5-10 ACC).
Spencer Kieboom added three hits and an RBI for the Tigers (18-14, 8-7).
Gillespie takes third at Terrier
In Spartanburg, S.C., USC Aiken’s Keely Gillespie finished third in the 1,5000-meter run at the Terrier Relays.
Gillespie finished with a time of 5 minutes, 6.55 seconds.
The Pacers took fifth in the distance medley, as Gillespie along with Kayla Millholland, Brittany May and Alexis Harvin finished in 14:28.94.
Two Pacers are all-conference
USC Aiken juniors Matt Atkins and JP Solis have been chosen to the All-Peach Belt Conference team.
Atkins was a first-team choice, while Solis was named to the second team.
• In San Jacinto, Calif., Andres Gonzales completed a wire-to-wire victory Sunday in the Soboba Golf Classic, beating Andrew Svoboda by two strokes for his first Nationwide Tour title.
Gonzales closed with an even-par 71 to finish at 8-under 276 on The Country Club at Soboda Springs. The 28-year-old earned $135,000.
Augusta’s Scott Parel shot 70 and tied for 24th at 285.
Belgian claims Paris-Roubaix
In Roubaix, France, Belgian rider Tom Boonen won the Paris-Roubaix race for a record-tying fourth time, successfully breaking away from the pack about 35 miles from the end of Sunday’s one-day classic.
The 2005 world champion crossed the finish line alone, before five chasing riders had reached the velodrome in the northern French town of Roubaix.