Jags are swept in doubleheader
In Montevallo, Ala., Augusta State’s struggles continued as the Jaguars were swept in a doubleheader by Montevallo on Saturday.
The Falcons won the first game 7-5 and the second 5-3.
Zack Willoughby was 3 for 5 with two RBI in the opener for the Falcons.
Vincente Andrews and Blaine Rosenberg homered in the second game for Montevallo (20-18, 14-10 Peach Belt Conference).
Augusta State (11-29, 3-21) lost its fourth in a row.
• In Savannah, Ga., Chandler Hall allowed one earned run in a complete-game effort, leading Armstrong Atlantic State (25-9, 11-8 Peach Belt) to a 5-2 win over USC Aiken.
Nick Aranas and Tyler Bourdo drove in runs for the Pacers (26-10, 15-7).
• William VanWinkle homered and Jonathan Richey had five RBI to lead Paine College to a 17-2 win over Benedict at Lions Field.
Avery Wilson added three RBI for the Lions (20-16, 6-6 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference).
• In Athens, Ga., Jimmy Bosco hit a grand slam, leading Arkansas (23-7, 6-5 Southeastern Conference) to an 8-3 win over Georgia.
Levi Hyams and Kevin Ruiz knocked in runs for the Bulldogs (19-12, 5-6).
• In Durham, N.C., Thomas Brittle went 4 for 6 with five RBI to lead Clemson’s 15-hit attack in an 11-5 win over Duke (13-19, 5-9 Atlantic Coast Conference).
Starter Dominic Leone earned the victory by striking out nine in 6⅓ innings for the Tigers (17-14, 7-7).
Gamecocks’ Gill mulling transfer
South Carolina coach Frank Martin says forward Anthony Gill is considering a transfer.
Martin said that Gill got permission to talk with other schools.
Martin said Friday that the Gamecocks would let Gill go through the recruiting process again, and he would try and keep the 6-foot-8 freshman at South Carolina.
Martin was named coach in March, coming from Kansas State to replace Darrin Horn.
Gill started 26 of 31 games last year. He averaged 7.6 points and 4.7 rebounds in just over 25 minutes a game.
• John Cooper, a Wichita State grad who has been the head coach at Tennessee State the past three seasons, has been named the new head coach at Miami University.
Cooper will be formally introduced at a news conference on Monday.
Cooper has served as an assistant at Auburn, Oregon, South Carolina and Fayetteville State.
USC Aiken coach earns 600th win
USC Aiken softball coach Jerry Snyder collected his 600th win in the first game of a doubleheader sweep on Friday.
USC Aiken (23-10) won the opener, 2-1. The Pacers won 5-1 in the second.
In his 25th season at the helm, Snyder has led the Pacers to seven 30-win seasons. USC Aiken has won 20 or more games in 18 of the past 19 seasons.
Kenny into finals at track worlds
In Melbourne, Australia, Jason Kenny qualified for the sprint berth on the British Olympic squad after beating Chris Hoy to reach the finals on the fourth day of the world track cycling championships Saturday.
Kenny won a fierce contest against Olympic champion Hoy in the first heat of the best of three semifinals and sealed his finals spot with an assured ride in the second.
He will face Gregory Bauge in the final.