Minor League Baseball
Jackets rally for first win of year
In Savannah, Ga., Ben Thomas drove in the go-ahead run on a double to cap a three-run ninth inning that led the Augusta GreenJackets to a 6-5 win over the Savannah Sand Gnats on Friday night.
Jose Cuevas had three RBI for the GreenJackets, who bounced back from a loss on Opening Day.
Adrelin Rodriguez drove in three runs for Savannah.
Jags are one-hit in shutout loss
In Montevallo, Ala., Michael Shreves pitched a complete-game, one-hit shutout, helping Montevallo beat Augusta State 11-0.
Kirk Waligora homered twice for the Falcons (18-18, 12-10 Peach Belt).
Starter Rob Crosby allowed six runs in four innings for the Jaguars (11-27, 3-19).
• In Fayetteville, Ark., Alex Wood had 10 strikeouts in 8⅓ innings, leading Georgia to a 4-2 win over Arkansas.
Brett Deloach and Conor Welton drove in runs for the Bulldogs (19-11, 5-5 Southeastern Conference).
• In Columbia, Drew Steckerider had a two-run home run, leading Tennesssee (20-10, 6-4 SEC) to a 5-4 win over South Carolina.
Christian Walker had two RBI for the Gamecocks.
• In Atlanta, Brandon Leibrandt pitched 7⅓ innings, leading Florida State (25-5, 12-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) to a 2-1 win over Georgia Tech.
Brandon Thomas had the lone RBI for the Yellow Jackets (19-12, 6-7).
• In Durham, N.C., Clemson scored three runs in the top of the 11th inning to beat Duke 4-1.
Spencer Kieboom and Richie Shaffer both had two hits and an RBI for the Tigers (16-14, 6-7 ACC).
• South Carolina pitcher Michael Roth was named the Southeastern Conference’s H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
Thomas is fired as coach at FIU
Isiah Thomas arrived at Florida International knowing that he was taking a risk.
Three years later, the school didn’t see enough reward.
The Basketball Hall of Fame player was fired Friday by FIU, after his teams went 26-65 in his three seasons. His hiring came out of nowhere in 2009 –“No one thought we could pull this off,” FIU director of sports and entertainment Pete Garcia proudly said at the time – and in the end, so did his firing.
• Alabama forward Tony Mitchell, a former Swainsboro High standout, has left the team after ending the season on suspension.
Mitchell missed Alabama’s final 11 games, including the NCAA Tournament, after being suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team.
• Deshaun Thomas will not be joining Ohio State teammate Jared Sullinger in the NBA – yet.
Thomas said he will return for his junior season.
Minn. linebacker, 22, is found dead
Gary Tinsley, a Minnesota linebacker who had overcome some personal problems early in his Gophers career and was set to earn his degree in just a few weeks, was found dead in his campus apartment Friday morning, university officials said. He was 22.
Tinsley was found unresponsive in his apartment at Roy Wilkins Hall on the Minneapolis campus, university Police Chief Greg Hestness said.
The cause of death wasn’t immediately released as authorities awaited autopsy results from the medical examiner.