Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, 725 Broad Street, Augusta, GA 30901, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number is (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
• The Pete Meadows Baseball Program and Putt-Putt Golf & Games is offering a series of free baseball hitting lessons through March for all youth and high school baseball and softball players. Visit petemeadows.com or call (706) 691-3990.
• The Savannah River Sail and Power Squadron conducts free vessel safety checks. E-mail requests to email@example.com (Georgia) or firstname.lastname@example.org (South Carolina).
• Gridiron Alumni travels the nation pitting old football rivals against each other, and it is planning several full contact alumni football games. The first 40 players on each team get to play, and the team that gets to 30 players first achieves home field advantage. Games are scheduled for March and April. For more information or to register, visit gridironalumni.com or call Chris Hall at (530) 410-6396.
• Fox Creek High School will play host to a golf tournament March 18 at 2 p.m. at Mount Vintage. The cost is $80 per player or $300 for a team. Businesses can sponsor a hole for $125. All proceeds benefit the Fox Creek athletic department. For information, call Russell Schneider at (706) 951-3325.
• The First Tee of Aiken will hold spring session classes from March 19 to May 19. Registration is under way at thefirstteeaiken.org, and classes are open for registration until they are full. The cost is $25 for an annual membership and $50 for seasonal registration. Golfers must be between the ages of 8-18.
• The Health Service Auxiliary, a
nonprofit group, will play host to the 16th annual Fisher House Golf Tournament on March 23 at Gordon Lakes Golf Course on Fort Gordon. The proceeds benefit the local Fort Gordon Fisher House. Register by Friday. Cost is $75 per player, $300 per team. Cost includes the round of golf and free nine-hole round of golf for future play at Gordon Lakes Golf Course. There will be a silent auction and prizes available. Registration and lunch begin at 10:30 am., with a shotgun start at noon. For more information or to register, go to www.tournevents.com/FHGT2012 or call (706) 787-7100.
• The Triple Crown Golf Classic benefiting two United Way agencies will be held March 26 at Woodside Plantation Country Club in Aiken. The cost is $100 per individual. The tournament is a foursome gross and net scramble. All proceeds benefit the two charities. For information, call (803) 648-3456 or (803) 642-8812.
• The Southeastern Firefighters Burn Foundation will hold the Best Dam Bicycle Ride on April 15 at 8:30 a.m. beginning at J. Strom Thurmond at Clarks Hill Dam. Registration begins at 7:15. The event is for cyclists of all ages and abilities. To register, visit Chain Reaction Bicycles in Martinez, or go to active.com and search 9th Annual Best Dam Ride 2012. The cost is $35 per rider, and children under 12 can ride free. All proceeds benefit the Burn Foundation.
• Greenbrier High School will play host to The Jessica Mendoza Experience: A Softball and Life Skills Clinic from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Saturday. Mendoza, a two-time Olympic softball medalist, will teach fundamentals as well as strength and agility training and nutrition. The cost is $85 per participant. For information, e-mail Will Mackelburg at email@example.com or call (912) 506-8448.
• CSRA Heat Volleyball Club will hold a series of skills clinics today and March 18 at the Augusta Prep gyms for girls in fourth to 11th grades. Cost is $225. For information, go to www.csraheat.com.
• Registration is open for the Patriots Wrestling Camp to be held June 4-8 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Westside High gym. The camp is open to boys and girls in first through eighth grades. The cost is $45 and includes a camp shirt. A family discount is available. To register or for more information, call (706) 399-3154 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.