Lady Jags up big at Kiawah Island
In Kiawah Island, S.C., the Augusta State women jumped out to a commanding lead at the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate on Sunday.
Led by Natalie Wille (69) and Casey Kennedy (70), who are first and second, respectively, on the individual leaderboard, the Lady Jaguars posted 2-under-par 286 and have a 17-stroke lead over Elon.
The tournament is split between two courses: Cougar Point, on which Augusta State played Sunday, and Oak Point Golf Club.
Also for Augusta State, Christine Duschek-Hansen posted 72 and is tied for third. Kirsty Rands shot 75 and is tied for 14th.
Slump continues for Augusta State
In Greenwood, S.C., Jordan Owens homered and drove in two runs to lead Lander to an 8-3 victory over Augusta State.
Cory Hopper allowed two earned runs in a complete-game effort for the Bearcats, who took two out of three in the series.
Josh Barks gave up eight hits and four earned runs in seven innings for the Jaguars (6-9), who have lost six of their past seven.
• In Melbourne, Fla., Tyler Padgett threw a complete-
game shutout, leading Paine College to a 4-0 win over Florida Tech.
William Gorman had two RBI for the Lions (2-7).
• In Aiken, Cody Maas hit two home runs to lead Georgia College to a 10-8 win over USC Aiken.
Daniel Bick was 2 for 4 with three RBI and Tanner Funk was 4 for 7 with two RBI for the Bobcats (9-6).
Former Thomson star Will Tankersley hit a two-run homer for the Pacers (8-4).
• In Athens, Ga., Taylor Hicks allowed two hits in six shutout innings to lead Georgia to a 3-0 win over Winthrop (0-7).
Hunter Cole homered for the Bulldogs (7-0).
• In Columbia, Colby Holmes struck out six in 5⅔ shutout innings as South Carolina beat Elon 6-0 to
complete a three-game sweep.
LB Dantzler homered for the Gamecocks (6-0).
• In Atlanta, Jake Davies was 3 for 4 with a home run and four RBI as Georgia Tech hammered Ohio State 13-4.
Connor Lynch added three RBI for the Yellow Jackets (6-2).
• In Clemson, S.C., Richie Shaffer homered and drove in three runs as Clemson knocked off Maine 9-6.
Steve Wilkerson and Phil Pohl had two RBI apiece for the Tigers (4-2).
Del Potro claims title at Marseille
In Marseille, France, Juan Martin Del Potro beat Michael Llodra, of France, 6-4, 6-4 in the Open 13 final Sunday for his first title of the season.
The former U.S. Open champion from Argentina won for the 10th time in his career. Del Potro lost to Roger Federer in his past two tournaments.
Del Potro had 11 aces against Llorda, who won this tournament in 2010.
• In Buenos Aires, Argetina, David Ferrer won the Copa Claro, downing defending champion Nicolas Almagro 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 in an all-Spanish final.
Weber wins fifth U.S. Open crown
In North Brunswick, N.J., Pete Weber won a record fifth U.S. Open bowling championship Sunday, throwing a strike on his final ball to beat Mike Fagan 215-214.
Weber surpassed his father, Dick Weber, who won the tournament’s predecessor four times, as did Don Carter. He earned a spot in the Round of 36 for the season-ending Tournament of Champions.