USC Aiken now tied for PBC lead
In Aiken, Kayla Harris scored 16 points as the USC Aiken women beat Lander 57-53 on Saturday to move into a tie for first place in the Peach Belt Conference.
Both teams are now 14-2 in conference play.
In the men’s game, Jesse Seilern had 16 points to lead USC Aiken to a 92-84 victory over Lander.
Ronald Zimmerman added 14 points for the Pacers (18-6, 12-4 PBC).
Jags lose pair to Flagler on road
In St. Augustine, Fla., Flagler swept a doubleheader from Augusta State, winning 4-0 and 10-8.
The games were the Peach Belt Conference openers for both teams.
In Game 1, Flager starter Jonathan Armold gave up just two hits in seven innings and struck out eight.
In Game 2, it was tied at 8 after six innings, but Flagler scored single runs in the seventh and eighth innings to pull away.
Augusta State sophomore outfielder Clay Tucker had two of Augusta’s four hits in the nightcap, including a three-run homer.
The Jaguars are now 5-5, 0-2 in the PBC.
• In Aiken, USC Aiken’s rally came up short in a 9-7 loss to Montevallo.
The Pacers (7-2, 2-1 Peach Belt Conference) were down 9-4 entering the ninth inning.
JJ Loker had three hits and three RBI and Nick Aranas had three RBI for USC Aiken, which had swept a doubleheader from Montevallo on Friday.
• In Columbia, two-time defending national champion South Carolina completed a three-game sweep of VMI with a doubleheader victory.
The Gamecocks won the opener 3-2 on Saturday then exploded to a 13-1 victory in the nightcap.
• In Clemson, S.C., Clemson swept a doubleheader from Alabama-Birmingham, winning 6-1 and 7-4.
• In Athens, Ga., pinch hitter Brett DeLoach’s two-out, two-run double gave Georgia a 5-4 walk-off victory over Presbyterian.
• In Rock Hill, S.C., sophomore Dusty Isaacs pitched seven strong innings in Georgia Tech’s 6-2 victory over Kent State at the Rock Hill Coca-Cola Classic.
Ex-Tiger takes eGolf Tour event
In Hilton Head Island, S.C., former Clemson golfer Brent Delahoussave won the season-opening eGolf Tour event, closing with 3-under-par 69 in the Palmetto Hall Championship.
Roger Sloan (70 on Saturday) finished one shot back. Aiken’s Stephen Poole had a final-round 70 to finish tied for 19th.
Patriots’ Rhodes wins state title
Westside’s Trey Rhodes won a state title in Class AAA at 160 pounds on Saturday.
Rhodes beat Gilmer’s Joey Ray by decision, 9-3.
Denham leads way in DH sweep
In Salisbury, N.C., USC Aiken opened up its season with a doubleheader sweep of Catawba, winning 4-1 and 10-1.
Kayla Denham combined for four hits and six RBI in the two games for USC Aiken.
Animal Kingdom rallies in Florida
In Hallandale Beach, Fla., Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom rallied past Monument Hill for a two-length victory at Gulfstream Park.